Poll: What effect do (legal) immigrants have on your society?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you view (legal) immigrants to have positive or negative effects/contributions?

I find that most Europeans, at least in my experience, view legal immigration as an anathema, and illegal immigration as something unbelievably terrible. Most Americans, on the other hand, seem to view legal immigration as something great (even the typically tough-on-illegals Republicans hold this view) that is integral to American society and even view illegal immigration as something that is at the very least tolerable.

What are your thoughts on immigration?

Note: don't violate forum rules by being xenophobic/inflammatory.

As long as they are paying taxes and aren't hurting anyone - positive.

I am a naturalized immigrant (came to Canada with my parents from Ukraine). I guess my opinion probably shouldn't count. That being said, I think our immigration system is probably one of the best in the world. Of course there is a room for improvement, but as far as integrating people into culture and workforce, it's very good. For the most part I feel not just tolerated, but welcome. After ten years here, I consider myself proud Canadian.

I really need to sleep. Now.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

The distinction alone displays a great deal of stupidity. People are generally colossal morons when it comes to topics like immigration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I am a naturalized immigrant (came to Canada with my parents from Ukraine). I guess my opinion probably shouldn't count. That being said, I think our immigration system is probably one of the best in the world. Of course there is a room for improvement, but as far as integrating people into culture and workforce, it's very good. For the most part I feel not just tolerated, but welcome. After ten years here, I consider myself proud Canadian.

I really need to sleep. Now.
    North American immigration systems tend to be excellent, so, I can't say this is surprising.

That immigration is good for society, and that businesses exploit illegals. If you want to cut down on illegal immigration, you go after the businesses that run on them. That would be why 'tough on immigration' GOP doesn't really do anything about it, because then they wouldn't get their housekeepers and gardeners for less than half of minimum wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they their share of taxes and don't commit crime. I'd really like if they stayed here and didn't send the money back to their homeland as well.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    North American immigration systems tend to be excellent, so, I can't say this is surprising.
    This may sound a bit harsh, and I actually respect Americans a lot in many ways, but personally I am glad I ended up in Canada and not in US. Nothing personal.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    This may sound a bit harsh, and I actually respect Americans a lot in many ways, but personally I am glad I ended up in Canada and not in US. Nothing personal.
    No worries, we need to kind of clean up our house these days. Too many dirty dishes and dirty clothes sitting around.

I'm an American and I support immigration. The fastest way to kill America would be to shut our borders, or even just dramatically narrow them.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, I suppose I don't blame you. At least in Canada you don't have to re-mortgage your home to pay for a trip to the hospital.

Its an overall positive for everyone.

Typically, Americans see the immigration of any white race as a positive and any other immigration as a negative. As such, 10,000 people from Ireland or the UK could move here tomorrow and no one would give a shit. If someone said 10,000 Salvadorians were moving in tomorrow they would be all up in arms.

I feel this has to do with a common language and common customs or culture. Adding someone that speaks your language and shares many of the same societal mannerisms as you, it's easy to see them integrating to society. If you add in the language barrier and an entirely different culture, it just becomes to much for people to accept.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Typically, Americans see the immigration of any white race as a positive and any other immigration as a negative. As such, 10,000 people from Ireland or the UK could move here tomorrow and no one would give a shit. If someone said 10,000 Salvadorians were moving in tomorrow they would be all up in arms.

I feel this has to do with a common language and common customs or culture. Adding someone that speaks your language and shares many of the same societal mannerisms as you, it's easy to see them integrating to society. If you add in the language barrier and an entirely different culture, it just becomes to much for people to accept.
    spot on 100%. the people that deny it, well...they're obviously in denial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nsgid View Post
    spot on 100%. the people that deny it, well...they're obviously in denial.
    I don't care about who immigrates, as long as they aren't criminals and they speak english + are hardworking and/or educated.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about who immigrates, as long as they aren't criminals and they speak english + are hardworking and/or educated.
    I agree on the crime part and working/educated. I definitely agree on that. But as far as the language barrier, I'm opposite on that.

I find that most Europeans, at least in my experience, view legal immigration as an anathema, and illegal immigration as something unbelievably terrible. Most Americans, on the other hand, seem to view legal immigration as something great (even the typically tough-on-illegals Republicans hold this view) that is integral to American society and even view illegal immigration as something that is at the very least tolerable.

What are your thoughts on immigration?

Note: don't violate forum rules by being xenophobic/inflammatory.
    I'm scandinavian myself but lived a few years in the US and I will moderately agree that the stated views on even legal immigration tend to be more negative over here than it is in the US. There are certainly many reasons and not all go on the existing population (ie some will be media bias, some will be a difference in the makeup of exactly who immigrates and how visible they are), but I don't think one should discount the fact that the US is still a fairly young nation with significant amounts of its population still not going many generations back as americans.

Having said that the only place I've experienced outright racism and/or hostility towards immigrants at any level personally, was while living in the US. My first job was as a bank teller and I was told to go back to where I came from when I refused to give a redneck money from his overdrawn account, in the same area (SW VA) a number of people who were otherwise friendly and likeable made no bones about stating that their children would not be welcome to bring a black person back as boyfriend/girlfriend. Some time later a Baltimore work colleague of mine was liberal using the N word both personally and when telling stories about her family (white, that is).

I think significant parts of Europe are still getting used to the effects of 'mass' immigration and many are finding the changes alarming or threatening, and there will always be people who cannot work around their natural fear of the unknown. In the US you have come further with integration on some levels and while there is a certain level of derogatory cast upon immigrants it seems more a matter of habit than actual ill will/fear.

While I by and large prefer scandinavia in most ways, the melting pot of many different cultures working together to a far greater extent than here is one thing I do miss from the US. We'll get there but it will probably take many years before we learn to accept and work together, rather than fear and avoid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Immigrants are great when they assimilate. The only ones I can't stand are the ones who come here and want to turn our country into the shit-hole they just left.

Fastest way to tell the good ones from the bad ones is to ask them how they identify themselves. A poorly assimilated immigrant will answer with something like "I'm Mexican", "I'm English", "I'm Chinese", ect. A well assimilated immigrant will, the moment he steps foot here, answer "I'm an American."

wish we could kick out some of the natural born citizens that does nothing for society

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nsgid View Post
    I agree on the crime part and working/educated. I definitely agree on that. But as far as the language barrier, I'm opposite on that.
    Speaking only Spanish / polish / whatever will have you at a severe disadvantage unless you live in a nearly pure community made up of spanish / polish / whatever. If they want to fully integrate, learning English would be a very good idea.

Ah, I never responded to the actual question did I. I'm overall viewing legal immigration as a very positive thing. Sure there are problems but all can and will be worked out, in time.