Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Show me Azeroth before the Cataclysm"

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but while I was flying around Dustmallow Marsh I found an NPC character from the Keepers of Time (Zidormi). When you talk to her, she has the option "Show me Theramore before the destruction" and obviously when you click on it and fly back to the Theramore, the city is fixed like if no explosion happened.

So I was wondering, would you like it if this feature was added to all Azeroth? Traveling back and have the option to do old quests and see how was the world before Cataclysm? Would you prefer to do those quests than those post-Cataclysm? Will Blizzard be able to do it or would they have problems adding this new feature?

PD: I'm not talking about doing Vanilla servers, just adding this new feature to the current ones.

It's easy to do with theramore because the un-destroyed theramore is in the game for any character who isn't level 90. the old zones are --to my knowledge--no longer in the game. They can't just phase you into it like with theramore.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I did love the old quests, I'm an advocate for moving forward, not backwards.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would love for them to bring the old versions of redone raids/instances back, along with the loot. It would destroy people that paid for original T3 from the BMAH, but it would give chance for newer players to revisit old instances and experience it, as I would like too. Especially for the old T1/2 gear(replica's are nice but not the same) as well any other dungeon sets that have disappeared.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never knew about this. Thank you OP, would be cool to go have a look at the past again. I won't wish for it back but it'd be nice to go take a poke around for old times sake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    I would love for them to bring the old versions of redone raids/instances back, along with the loot. It would destroy people that paid for original T3 from the BMAH, but it would give chance for newer players to revisit old instances and experience it, as I would like too. Especially for the old T1/2 gear(replica's are nice but not the same) as well any other dungeon sets that have disappeared.
    I'm not sure what you mean, all those old raids are there? Nothing has been "removed" without some kind of replacement. ZA and ZG are different ok but with regards to naxx, Naxx80 is pretty similar to Naxx60. All the bosses are the same and the mechanics are very comparable. If you do 25man Naxx then it's even more similar, things like General Razuvious (think that's his name? First boss of Military wing) on 10man you have the MC pillars but on 25man you have to MC the adds. In original Naxx you had to MC them. Heigan is near enough unchanged as far as I know.

Almost all the old gear is there, ZA/ZG being the only exceptions because almost all of the Vanilla Naxx loot is there still, just at lvl80 instead but models are very similar.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I never knew about this. Thank you OP, would be cool to go have a look at the past again. I won't wish for it back but it'd be nice to go take a poke around for old times sake.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what you mean, all those old raids are there? Nothing has been "removed" without some kind of replacement. ZA and ZG are different ok but with regards to naxx, Naxx80 is pretty similar to Naxx60. All the bosses are the same and the mechanics are very comparable. If you do 25man Naxx then it's even more similar, things like General Razuvious (think that's his name? First boss of Military wing) on 10man you have the MC pillars but on 25man you have to MC the adds. In original Naxx you had to MC them. Heigan is near enough unchanged as far as I know.

Almost all the old gear is there, ZA/ZG being the only exceptions because almost all of the Vanilla Naxx loot is there still, just at lvl80 instead but models are very similar.
    Actually a lot of the Naxx models are missing. And while the tier sets are still there in some cases they're very ugly compared to their Tier 3 counterparts, which is why people will pay stupid amounts of gold for them on the BMAH. I mean I'll live without a Misplaced Servo Arm and good looking tier 3 colors, I don't think they should re-add older content, but it would be nice if they added quest rewards or drops or something with those old raid models. The "OMG LAZY" whining would be endless, but yeah.

Pretty much every ZA / ZG model is obtainable because many items drop in the remade versions and the missing ones are available as random green drops from the Isle of thunder.

The only weapon which remains unavailable is Jin'rokh, but i think the S3 Gladiator Sword fills the job there.

Mostly there are missing some Naxx models, like the Patchwerk Shield or Grobbulus Mace.

Though it would be neat, it would be an effort with hardly any reward.

The questing system from vanilla is more than outdated, rewards horribly itemized, and so forth, the only point would be to show how Azeroth was before the Shattering, but i don't think most people want to travel around Azeroth just by using their ground mounts since Vanilla Azeroth was not made for flying mounts.

Heigan is near enough unchanged as far as I know.
    Go and look up what original Heigan the Unclean involved
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I would love this idea if, and only if, it didn't kill the new expansion's content.

Which is a far flung dream given the way they did Cata

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    While I did love the old quests, I'm an advocate for moving forward, not backwards.
    By this logic, we should start everyone off at the new expansions start of content level and destroy all old content cos 'no one does old content anymore' when a new expansion hits

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Though it would be neat, it would be an effort with hardly any reward.

The questing system from vanilla is more than outdated, rewards horribly itemized, and so forth,
    No one is asking anyone to do it for rewards for end game content. Also many of the items such as the Imperial Armour Set from Blacksmithing is highly sought after for transmog which is available only in old Azeroth. Blizzard stupidly removed the quests and never implement the items as world drops

the only point would be to show how Azeroth was before the Shattering, but i don't think most people want to travel around Azeroth just by using their ground mounts since Vanilla Azeroth was not made for flying mounts.
    Because you used your flying mount from current 1-60? Did you even go back to Westfall/Barrens using your flying mount for a useful purpose that isn't profession farming?

Quote Originally Posted by championknight View Post
    Because you used your flying mount from current 1-60? Did you even go back to Westfall/Barrens using your flying mount for a useful purpose that isn't profession farming?
    That's not his point. While you can't use a flying mount in Azeroth until you hit whatever level after 60, you can still use it to fly to Westfall. However, pre-Cataclysm, the environment was not designed for flying. Blizzard has made this abundantly clear. The Azeroth revamp had as much to do with streamlining the questing experience as it did with making the zones look suitable for flight.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    That's not his point. While you can't use a flying mount in Azeroth until you hit whatever level after 60, you can still use it to fly to Westfall. However, pre-Cataclysm, the environment was not designed for flying. Blizzard has made this abundantly clear. The Azeroth revamp had as much to do with streamlining the questing experience as it did with making the zones look suitable for flight.
    So I ask you again, what purpose do you want flying in Azeroth (new or old) for? Old zones are likely to not allow entry into the Cata zones which you need to find this NPC to turn back the phasing

Making 1-60 suitable for flight is about as useful as obtaining a legendary BOP staff as a Paladin (vendor trash in the latter's case). Which is why Blizzard shouldn't do it for Eversong Woods and Azuremyst Isles cos it serves little purpose

10+ Year Old Account
    By this logic, we should start everyone off at the new expansions start of content level and destroy all old content cos 'no one does old content anymore' when a new expansion hits
    I'm not against that. Leveling overall is a pointless thing these days.

Heigan is near enough unchanged as far as I know.
    Heigan had an additional room in which he teleported sets of players during the fight and they had to fight their way back to Heigan's room. (It's the hallway between Heigan and Loatheb with all of the pots/eye tentacles/grubs) I'm really not sure why they removed it.

Deleted
    Bringing old world back is one of few things that might lure me back to retail wow.

Deleted
    No thanks, I really wouldn't want WoW to double its size on my disk any time soon

No one is asking anyone to do it for rewards for end game content. Also many of the items such as the Imperial Armour Set from Blacksmithing is highly sought after for transmog which is available only in old Azeroth. Blizzard stupidly removed the quests and never implement the items as world drops
    Quest rewards aren't end game as well, my point is that big chunk of the quests in this old Azeroth would serve no purpose other than just to create illusion of Vanilla.

The point is that exploration just for the sake of seeing "How it used to be" takes an eternity with Ground Mounts.

You see, it would surely be a nice feature to show new players how WoW used to look like, but if it takes too long to show it it will bore people because they can't do anything with what you show them in the end.

Quest rewards aren't end game as well, my point is that big chunk of the quests in this old Azeroth would serve no purpose other than just to create illusion of Vanilla.
    It allows people to choose where to level because some people hate the new revamped zones, default would still be the revamp zone and you can switch anytime you talk to this NPC. And already mentioned it allows old transmog items to be obtained since Blizzard is still not giving an answer on those removed during the revamp

Also along with what another poster has said, with your flawed logic:
    - Leveling is an illusion now so all old leveling content should be demolished and remove and you only get to visit expansion areas
    - Any old raids before the current tier should be removed because it serves no purpose other than just to create illusion of 'Tier XX' that is no longer offering the best end game gear available

The point is that exploration just for the sake of seeing "How it used to be" takes an eternity with Ground Mounts.

You see, it would surely be a nice feature to show new players how WoW used to look like, but if it takes too long to show it it will bore people because they can't do anything with what you show them in the end.
    Isn't this the same with 1-60 now as long you don't hit 60? You mean the revamped zones now 'bore you' at level appropriate?

Are you drunk or something? Because that didn't make much sense

IDK why people even push for this anymore. It would be great if blizzard did, but there are tons of private servers for this now.
    Last edited by Sam the Wiser; 2013-12-21 at 04:53 PM.

It allows people to choose where to level because some people hate the new revamped zones, default would still be the revamp zone and you can switch anytime you talk to this NPC.
    Vanilla questing is a quite tedious without a decent amount of players actually playing it because of the constant Elite quests, to level a character on a dead server during Vanilla / BC was a huge pain because you couldn't do any quest that required a group and some zones were filled with these quests.

And i don't think you will find a long term player base that chooses the Vanilla way of leveling.

And already mentioned it allows old transmog items to be obtained since Blizzard is still not giving an answer on those removed during the revamp
    Though it would be nice to have every item available ingame in terms of style, i don't think that putting entire old Azeroth into the game is the right solution there.

Put them on a vendor or let them drop from certain associated mobs would be the best solution.

Also along with what another poster has said, with your flawed logic:
    - Leveling is an illusion now so all old leveling content should be demolished and remove and you only get to visit expansion areas
    Did you see any pattern in Blizzard philosophy in terms of outdated content?

If it's in the the way, it will be removed, if not, it will be just left alone.

It is a huge effort to bring all those Vanilla quests, because it surely won't be just a copy paste issue to bring them back into the game so that they work.

- Any old raids before the current tier should be removed because it serves no purpose other than just to create illusion of 'Tier XX' that is no longer offering the best end game gear available
    You seem to quite dig the thing about the Illusion, eh?

The Illusion what i am talking about is that it would create a fake version of Vanilla WoW, when in fact it is not Vanilla anymore because there are some crucial things missing, just looking in the direction of Classes.

Isn't this the same with 1-60 now as long you don't hit 60? You mean the revamped zones now 'bore you' at level appropriate?
    You miss the point.

I said that showing the people how WoW used to be is nice, but if the travelling around to show them takes too much time, it will bore them.

I did not even mention anything about questing, leveling or any kind of that stuff in the section you quoted, i just said that for looking at the scenery of Vanilla Ground mounts are questionable way of travelling since it takes far too long.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to be able to go visit old places, however quests would be bad because they aren't linear and you have to go all over the zones to find them since there are a lot of them that no quest points towards and stuff like that. But like mentioned Theramore old/new is both in the datafiles while Azeroth old/new is not, only the new one.