Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is there any way to try GW2 before I buy it?

I'm a little disappointed that Blizzard isn't giving me the Tinker class I wanted in WoW, so I've been considering GW2 because of the Engineer class. I'm just wondering if there was any way I could play the game a little before I drop money on it. Also, is the Engineering class fun to play? It would be about the only reason for me to buy the game.

Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) There have been some trials before, it is mostly a weekend trial but only happens every like 4 (?) months and there hasn't been any notification on when will be the new release.

2) Engineers are pretty fun to play, I play engi as my main and in wvw is extremely fun with AoE's.

Thought Engineer would be the profession I'd enjoy the least. Had no interest in it at launch.

Made one a few months back, and now regret not making one sooner.

As for GW2, there are no free trials you can sign up for. But every now and again, they'll host a free weekend when anybody (with a registered account) can play.

Those are usually announced on their front page at https://www.guildwars2.com/.

It's 50bucks once, that's 5months of not playing WoW to break even so why don't you try it?
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    It's 50bucks once, that's 5months of not playing WoW to break even so why don't you try it?
    specailly since there wont be anything new for wow for the next 5+months

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys don't get into the whole WoW-sub thingy, we're not discussing that.

There is a 40% discount on the game if im not mistaken btw~!
    https://www.guildwars2.com/es/news/h...-sale-save-40/
    30 bucks is pretty cheap for this game, it has a lot of content

As a recommendation for when you start the game:
    Try picking a server that doesn't have overflows on WvW because if you want to try wvw'ing you might get into overflow on the most popular servers (FA-Blackgate-JQ), there are some other T1 servers that have nice communities and no overflow (SoS and Tarnished coast), try checking what community you want to join before jumping into it! I got into sorrow's furnace when the game released and despised it so I ended transfering to TC
    Last edited by barackopala; 2013-12-21 at 03:33 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    Sadly the trials are kind of rare (and feel almost like they're put out there on a whim), but the game is 40% off on the official site until the 23rd, so you can at the very least spend less money on it now.

It's a good game in my opinion and because it doesn't have subscription fees you don't get this feeling that you're "forced" to play it if the content grows stale; just put the game on the shelf and come back when you feel like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you said you wanted to try before ya buy but right now on GreenManGaming.Com the game is $39.99 and then there's a Voucher on the site for an additional 20% Off. So for about $30 (2 months of WoW Time) you would get a really good MMO that never will have a subscription fee.

EDIT: Spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I see that the game is $30 bucks. I can definitely swing that.

However, is the Engineering class fun and viable? I'm pretty much buying the game just for that class.

Fun is relative, viable depends on what your goal is.

It's viable in PvP/WvW/open world/dungeons

It's not viable for speed clearing dungeons.

Whether you like the builds that are viable is a whole other story.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

well fun is subjective, I find it enjoyable. Everything is viable, it's how you build your character that counts.

I was wondering the exact same thing as the OP! I noticed the game on sale and wanted to try it before buying it. Only way I could come close was gameplay videos, so I guess I'll pick it up tonight; the crazy cow guy looks pretty cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing granadeer on wvw is extremely fun, specially when taking keeps :P!
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Guys don't get into the whole WoW-sub thingy, we're not discussing that.
    It's just extremely weird for me that someone who has the budget to pay X for Y, hasn't the budget to pay Z for a substitute of Y.

For instance, if I spend 50bucks a month on my bike to get everywhere, I can just stall my bike in a garage during the winter and get a bus pass or w/e.

It's akin to another annoyance of mine when people say "BLABLA only cost me X since I gathered everything myself!" which totally ignores opportunity cost (and ofc time spent).

A lack of basic understanding of finance/money management really weirds me out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, went ahead and purchased the game. Its about 90% downloaded as of this writing.

Does anyone have any tips for a beginning Engineer? Also what's a good server for a starting player to hop onto?

10+ Year Old Account
    Join TC and join AARM :P! we're a big guild (or alliance since we're 3 guilds now) that is very friendly to new players. For engineer well you have a lot to use at your disposal! utility skills will make or break your class due to the kits!

Deleted
    Personally I think engineer is very boring, I usually like to level a character of each class in any MMO I play and I tried to level an engineer like 3 times so far and I always quit, but then again I've heard alot of people saying engineers are amazing so maybe it's just me. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really enjoying the game, but its really hard to kill things as an Engineer. Is that supposed to be the case? Just about every other class I've tried makes short work of enemies, but it takes a long time to kill stuff as an Engineer. What gives?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I'm really enjoying the game, but its really hard to kill things as an Engineer. Is that supposed to be the case? Just about every other class I've tried makes short work of enemies, but it takes a long time to kill stuff as an Engineer. What gives?
    Well, that depends on your gear and build. If you've got the money to buy Power/Precision gear (don't forget the rings/acc/amulet) you can kill stuff pretty fast. You could also go for weapons/skills/traits that apply bleeding/burning/poison and stack Condition Damage.
    Keep in mind that there might be downscaled lvl 80 toons facerolling stuff (their gear is a lot better even when downscaled, and they got full traits).
    Last edited by mmoc1b829edf9e; 2013-12-23 at 01:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    try going bombs kit/grenade kit and elixir U for quickness so enemies dont stand a chance~!