Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo was the first to play with this idea with the Game Boy Advanced and the Gamecube. I thought they would have been better served making a proprietary gaming tablet and having that as an option with using with a much more tech robust Wii U.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Widow Maker View Post
    Honestly, all Nintendo has to do is make a system that is on par with PS4. Power wise. So they can get all those nice third party games on there, as well as their own games. And maybe make a new IP or two. They would, without a doubt, be the ones ahead of the game. Probably by a long shot. Microsoft and Sony can't compete with those Nintendo IPs...shit, those games have been keeping Nintendo relevant and even making them more money than Microsoft and Sony at times. If they were to make a system that could handle more modern/crazy graphics and more "hardcore" gaming....they would be the top dogs for a while.

I never understood why they won't do this.
    I agree, it seemed that they sunk so much money and R&D in that Game Pad that they had to take specs away from the console itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd rather they didn't. The tablet controller is the most interesting thing about the Wii U, and it's why I find the console more interesting than the PS4/Xbox One. If/When I end up getting a "next-gen" (they're now current gen) console, I'll probably end up getting a Wii U. Hopefully they'll have more games that take advantage of the possibilities of the tablet controller by then.

At least Nintendo are the only ones who give a shit about innovating when it comes to their consoles, and not simply turning them into low budget PC's with tv and social media stuff.
    This whole motion detecting stuff IMO isn't that great. Sure I have the Wii and some games are nice with it. Other times I really don't want it AT ALL. I dunno it just is kind of sad in a way where Nintendo went. It's not failing per say but it's not a direction I'm fond of.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'd rather they didn't. The tablet controller is the most interesting thing about the Wii U, and it's why I find the console more interesting than the PS4/Xbox One. If/When I end up getting a "next-gen" (they're now current gen) console, I'll probably end up getting a Wii U. Hopefully they'll have more games that take advantage of the possibilities of the tablet controller by then.

At least Nintendo are the only ones who give a shit about innovating when it comes to their consoles, and not simply turning them into low budget PC's with tv and social media stuff.
    This is one of the main reasons why, as a PC gamer, I am supporting the Wii U. Nintendo isn't going all-out on hardware anymore, but they're trying new ways to make the games feel different. While the gaming media is going insane over the "next-gen" power, I can't really find a reason for myself getting one. Plus, I enjoy Nintendo's first party titles more usually, especially how Monolith's "X" is currently my most anticipated game of 2014 right next to Witcher 3.

The Wii U may sound underwhelming to people, but it's actually pretty underrated. The tablet controller feels like any other controller, but with a touch screen in the center. If the DS has proven anything, it has proven that the 2nd screen can change the whole entire strategy of the game itself. Here's an example...One thing that has plagued PC shooters is how console games usually go for two weapons due to button limitation. But with the touch screen right next to your thumb, you could easily tap a 4th or 5th weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarodan View Post
    "million dollar" idea ...post it on public forum GENIUS !
    If you are talking to me soz mate its not my idea i saw it on internet about 1 or 2 years ago cant remember .And yes this must be done !!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanian View Post
    Nintendo was the first to play with this idea with the Game Boy Advanced and the Gamecube. I thought they would have been better served making a proprietary gaming tablet and having that as an option with using with a much more tech robust Wii U.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, it seemed that they sunk so much money and R&D in that Game Pad that they had to take specs away from the console itself.
    Yeah that's probably true. The game pad in itself is almost half the price of the WiiU if you tried ordering it on it's own. I like that they are innovating and coming up with cool/new ideas. But not when it hinders game performance and kinda screws them over a good opportunity. They need to find a middle ground when it comes to features + system specs.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

People still buy nintendo ds games? Is it 2000 again?

Yeah that's probably true. The game pad in itself is almost half the price of the WiiU if you tried ordering it on it's own. I like that they are innovating and coming up with cool/new ideas. But not when it hinders game performance and kinda screws them over a good opportunity. They need to find a middle ground when it comes to features + system specs.
    Nintendo doesn't seem to be in the business of hardware power anymore. IIRC the DS was much behind the PSP in terms of power, and the 3DS is definitely far behind the Vita. The Wii was much behind the PS3/Xbox 360 in terms of power, and the Wii U is similarly behind the PS4/Xbox One (but can still get games running in 1080p at 60fps...go figure). Nintendo seems more about the "gimmicks" nowadays (dual screen, glasses free 3D, motion controls, tablet controller) and how they alter how games are played, rather than going for pretty graphics and shiny physics engines.

It's been working out for them for years, and other than the hiccup of the bungled 3DS launch (no games at launch, but now it's printing them money) and the current lack of movement on the Wii U (which seems to be slowly turning around), they're doing pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo doesn't seem to be in the business of hardware power anymore. IIRC the DS was much behind the PSP in terms of power, and the 3DS is definitely far behind the Vita. The Wii was much behind the PS3/Xbox 360 in terms of power, and the Wii U is similarly behind the PS4/Xbox One (but can still get games running in 1080p at 60fps...go figure). Nintendo seems more about the "gimmicks" nowadays (dual screen, glasses free 3D, motion controls, tablet controller) and how they alter how games are played, rather than going for pretty graphics and shiny physics engines.

It's been working out for them for years, and other than the hiccup of the bungled 3DS launch (no games at launch, but now it's printing them money) and the current lack of movement on the Wii U (which seems to be slowly turning around), they're doing pretty good.
    Oh I know they're doing quite good. But even so, my whole point is that they would be doing much better IF they had gone in the route of hardware power as well as minor gimmicks and features. If Nintendo built a system that can get all those third party games on it, as well as their own IPs (and maybe a few new ones). They wouldn't have competition anymore really.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

They did this back on the Gamecube. It was badass playing my gameboy games on the TV, but it wasn't any more marketable then than it is now.

But hey, all they really gotta do if the only thing they care about is cashmoneys is create Pokemon, the subscription-based MMO. *cue money pouring from the heavens*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whales96 View Post
    People still buy nintendo ds games? Is it 2000 again?
    What, are you serious? It has domination on the hand-held market. Go look at a sales chart sometime.

Oh I know they're doing quite good. But even so, my whole point is that they would be doing much better IF they had gone in the route of hardware power as well as minor gimmicks and features. If Nintendo built a system that can get all those third party games on it, as well as their own IPs (and maybe a few new ones). They wouldn't have competition anymore really.
    If they'd upped the hardware power in the console itself we'd have a $4-500 console. And from what we know of their business strategy, they're trying to keep prices low on their hardware.

I'd love to play 3DS games on the TV. In fact, I'd play them over any PS4/XBox One game any time, I'm just not into handhelds. If Nintendo built a reasonably priced stationary console with the kind of games they make for the 3DS, I'd finally consider buying a console again.

Some confusion : I don't mean Streaming, I mean an actual 2nd Wii U Gamepad (the iPad controller) with another opening in the top where you can slide in a 3DS and DS game, or perhaps like some said a Vita TV type device which you hook into your Wii U and put the games inside there. the Touch pad would be the controller and the 2ndary screen while the TV screen would be the non touch pad screen and the main focus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    you want a real idea that can make Nintendo millions? Console pokemon game...why this hasn't happened yet baffles me
    Cause Pokemon literally means POCKET monsters. It has, and always has been meant to be a portable gaming experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it would be like a much larger version of a DS/3DS with a single screen mixed with the Vita TV? DS/3DS games would look terrible on large TV's due to their low resolutions. Upscaling really wouldn't help much, either.

Honestly, I can't see much of a market for a product like this. The DS/3DS beat it out in portability, and it really wouldn't provide a very good experience for people hooking it up to a TV due to how terrible games would look : /
    I used to plug my gameboy advance into my gamecube to play pokemon games and the resolution looked fine.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonPrime View Post
    A friend and I got into a discussion about how Nintendo could reclaim the console market and I had a strange idea.

The Wii U uses both the Touch pad and the TV anyway. Why not create a controller thats exactly like the Touch pad and is sold separately and costs the same as a 2DS, and have an expansion on it that allows it to play 3DS and DS games. Eventually they could bundle it inside the Wii U packaging and give you a Download code for a 3DS game.

I know i'd so buy it and it would expand the library soooooo god damn much. It would be sooooo fucking nice to play Ocarina of Time 3DS on my TV...or maybe Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance where I could actually hear the story, or heaven forbid, since my SNES is dead, play Chrono Trigger without any god damned load times (not an advocate of pirating games).

What do you think, wouldn't this be a great idea?
    It's all about practicality for them and a big ass monster like that is not portable. The Wii U has short range connectivity to the controller which allows you to play some games just on the Touch Pad but trying to translate that kind of technology and graphics power into a portable device just isn't practical for Nintendo. Bearing in mind that the Touch Pad also lacks built in functionality like wireless internet access and internal storage, it would be even bigger then it is now and weigh as much as the console itself does. Not to mention the battery life would be horrid, the controller itself only lasts 8-10 hours as it is. Besides the 3DS is a massively successful platform right now and will no doubt have an amazing successor in the future.

And there is no reason to make an even bigger platform to play 3DS games on either, the scaling alone would be awful.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-12-23 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    How about they give us a console that is not based on motion anything, no trouch screen either. Gamecube 2 i would call it.
    Exactly, then maybe microsoft and sony wouldn't be following suit trying to touch the rim of Nintendo's robe so that their genius might rub off a little onto them.

I would like just a simple console though. Another gamecube would be great. Just focus on high quality games and no gimmicks. Not saying that their gimmicks aren't successful or fun of course.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

The difference is that those gimmicks and innovations have allowed them to bitch slap their competitors on the sales side of things. Power isn't everything and I wish people would understand this. Nintendo is in the business of providing entertainment and fun, games are and always will be a about fun, not how pretty the graphics are. And Nintendo has always proven that their hardware is more then enough to provide a rich and enjoyable gaming experience, with good graphics to boot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarix View Post
    I'd buy it. I can't stand motion controls
    Don't buy a PS4 or Xbone then!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The difference is that those gimmicks and innovations have allowed them to bitch slap their competitors on the sales side of things. Power isn't everything and I wish people would understand this. Nintendo is in the business of providing entertainment and fun, games are and always will be a about fun, not how pretty the graphics are. And Nintendo has always proven that their hardware is more then enough to provide a rich and enjoyable gaming experience, with good graphics to boot.
    Unfortunately, Nintendo's Wii U sales are pretty horrendously abysmal compared to just about anything else. Even in Japan, the Wii U is doing badly.

I remember playing Game Boy games on the SNES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    you want a real idea that can make Nintendo millions? Console pokemon game...why this hasn't happened yet baffles me
    For the same reason Sony hasn't released a remake of FFVII on current-gen systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Unfortunately, Nintendo's Wii U sales are pretty horrendously abysmal compared to just about anything else. Even in Japan, the Wii U is doing badly.
    It will no doubt pick up this holiday season, Super Mario 3D World came out, and it's hella fun by the way, which is going to be a system seller for sure.