Poll: Is this considered hate speech?

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-...ege&ir=College

Pretty much this. A&E was in the wrong to fire him.

In an thread about Phil Robertson, the all-American redneck, he brought up Hitler and Nazi's. The perfect application of Godwin's Law. Essentially comparing Phil Robertsons to Nazis, his point is is trash and holds no value.
    Godwin's law fallacy. Just because someone mentions hitler doesnt mean that the legitimacy of the argument is at all called into question.

If anything in this case it is a perfect example.
    If people are saying he can go and say what he wants because its his belief then i dare Fox news (or whoever) to bring on someone who believes in Death To America and that Christianity is a psychotic Cult of Hipocracy filled sinners and no one would be able to say jack about it.

------------------

Also people REALLY need to stop acting like the white supremacist christian middle class culture is under attack here. This has absolutely nooooothing to do with religion.

Phil horribly embarrassed the network*, and so they suspended him. As all companies have a right to do to employees who violate their company image. No one oppressed him or put him in jail for what he said. He could have compared Obama to a monkey or said that the worlds problems are caused by jews and it would have resulted in the same thing.

*And the fact that people dont realize this is also appalling. Yes people, going on a public network and comparing some peoples Loved ones to animals and suggesting that all sin starts with a certain large demographic is bad and embarrassing.

Of course they dont understand this because "its just gays."

- - - Updated - - -

combine that with the fact that often the only way To meet other gay people is to go out to a club or something.

And if anything most people i see living at home for a long time with their parents are usually differently abled people.

Almost every single gay person i've seen has their own place, is living with a good friend, or if they are at home its just because there is a living crisis here and the damned oilfield is forcing everyone to work in the oilfield or pay astronomical fees for Rent.

So yea Ninjamps, I highly doubt you have anything to go on. As opposed to any single gay person or straight person who isnt homophobic will tell you how that theory is disprove by reality.

And i dont know the name of that particular argument at the time, but you should avoid the ":State my opinion: then :But people will probably flame me because people who disagree with me are unreasonable*" argument.

*As flaming by definition is unreasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

The PR people care. There are Literally dozens of people in a relatively small company devoted to NOTHING but PR.

The "problem" here is unlike decades ago when gay characters would be avoided or insulted on tv and depicted as immoral (a primary factor i'm sure in why people who have never talked with gay people have an opinion...on a subject they know nothing about), while NOW the world has changed and evolved and started to do away with the supremacy that has ruled America since its existence and the company was smart enough to realize that tons of people (with morals) would be offended by what he said and they wanted to make it clear his views did not reflect their company policies. Circumstantial evidence of this is how in the last 2 years basically EVERY homophobic company has been called out and i'm sure they didnt want to be seen as that. Because, believe it or not, there are many many people out there that arent from the currently oppressed demographic that are fighting for it.

- - - Updated - - -

And for me personally one of the worst things about the situation with him is not necessarily what he said. but:

-He is wasting his time talking negatively about others when the passages of his precious bible tell him not to pass judgement on others and to reflect upon his own flaws. The only thought he SHOULD be giving bout gays is how "they are God's Children" and "he loves them like brothers and sisters". End of story. But classic religious hypocracy.
    -And from what he's said in his interview he has obviously NOT tried to empathize or understand the people he is criticizing, yet he criticizes them. (paraphrasing)"I dont understand why Homosexuals dont like vaginas[Cus there is no such things as lesbians or Bi people, right?]. It just seems so obvious. Its not logical what they do. But sin isnt logical" So he doesnt even bother making the EASY thought process of "well vaginas are part of a girl and they dont like girls. So obviously even the most unpleasant part of a man is probably better to them than a vagina". I mean, what? Does he not realize that gay men like men? He is WILLFULLY ignorant and then he insults and blames homosexuals for it. Saying that their actions are sinful because sin isnt logical, though HE is the one refusing to work out the logic.

15+ Year Old Account

The logic of that article: Don't take him off the air, keep him on and make a spectacle of him to show bigots just how ridiculous they look.

Well, I suppose that's one way they could have handled it.

On the flip side, attempting that may have the OPPOSITE effect, glorifying the behavior.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    The logic of that article: Don't take him off the air, keep him on and make a spectacle of him to show bigots just how ridiculous they look.

Well, I suppose that's one way they could have handled it.

On the flip side, attempting that may have the OPPOSITE effect, glorifying the behavior.
    Like they're even going to take him off the air. Every time I turn the channel to A&E Duck Dynasty is on.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

In an thread about Phil Robertson, the all-American redneck, he brought up Hitler and Nazi's. The perfect application of Godwin's Law. Essentially comparing Phil Robertsons to Nazis, his point is is trash and holds no value.
    You do realize that A&E is owned by Disney right? Disney likes everyone including gays. They don't like spreading hate speech like Fox News does.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    He's back in the saddle againnnnnn.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...bertson-667647
    I'm not really surprised at all.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    He's back in the saddle againnnnnn.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...bertson-667647
    Lol! Money has a lot of power. A&E management is full of hypocrites. I side with Phil, but if you are against him so much as A&E seemed to be, at least be true to your standard of values.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Bzzzzzzzzzzt.

Freedom of speech guarantees freedom from persecution, oppression, and imprisonment for your opinion. It does not guarantee that others have to like or even accept your opinion. It does not guarantee you a soapbox for your opinion. Just because some people think Hitler was right doesn't mean we need to accept their opinion is ok or moral. It just means we can't imprison them or treat them as second class citizens.

The irony is bigots telling others that they must be tolerant of their intolerance of others. "I can be intolerant, and you must accept that, but you can't be intolerant of my intolerance!"
    And yet, still, the very same argument could be used against you and your apparent intolerance of anyone of his faith that would have used the exact same words he did in the exact same circumstances.

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent post. Whoever said that did it much better then I could have ever thought of.