Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Armory Stats - Legendary Quest Achievements, Blue Tweets, IV Contest Voting

50 More Legendary Items (Gallery)

Armory Stats - Legendary Quest Line Achievements
    Today we are taking a look at the legendary quest achievement completion rate of players. Now that achievements are account wide, we can group characters by account and get an idea of what percentage of players (not characters) have completed an achievement.

In this case, the final achievement requires you to obtain a legendary cloak, kill Garrosh, and finally complete a quest. This means that the number of players who have the legendary cloak is slightly higher than the number who have the final achievement, as some players have killed Garrosh, have the cloak, but never did the quest.

The data used today is a sample of 5.7 million characters from 2 million accounts, with at least one character on the account that was active after Nov 15. The sample is slightly biased, as players who are not in a guild are much less likely to appear in our sample. You can leave suggestions for future stat posts in the comments!

Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!

Armory Stats - Legendary Weapon Feat of Strength Achievements
    Someone in the comments asked about the number of people with legendary weapons, so here is some bonus data from the same sample as above. Keep in mind this is just a snapshot of who has the Feat of Strength Achievements and was active on at least one character after Nov 15.

Blue Tweets
    We have finally gone through all of the tweets made by Ghostcrawler while he was still a developer. Now he is off on a beach somewhere, but still offering his opinion on Twitter.

If you want to follow or contact the developers on Twitter, take a look at Celestalon (PvE), Holinka (PvP), Chris Robinson (Art), Dave Kosak (Story), Dave Maldonado (Game Design).

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Classes
    Base damage/healing on spells is removed too. All from scaling. Equal scaling for all! (Source)
    Curious, naked casters have 0 spellpower now; will base intellect give spellpower in 6.0?
    Likely, yes. (Source)

How do you decide which spells to remove from classes? Consecration and auras were core features to paladins. Totems to shamans
    It's tough; every ability is special to somebody. Generally, cut what takes up keybinds, but isn't needed to make it fun. (Source)
    I realize that's rather vague. It's a very subjective question. Preserving and improving gameplay is the primary goal here. (Source)

Would you gentleman be willing to touch on what abilities, (or types of abilities) you've looking at removing in WoD?
    We're currently exploring removing CC abilities and redundant DPS/healing cooldowns. (Source)
    if you remove cc abilities it's gonna take 95% of coordination out of the game.. just run in and do dmg..
    He didn't mean *all* CC abilities. (Source)
    Yeah "some CC abilities" (Source)
    Care to give one example you guys are discussing?
    Not really :-D This is a case where if you only see one class's changes, that class will freak. Whole picture needed (Source)
    Can you give us the whole picture?
    Soon™. (Source)
    Really looking forward to what you come up with nevertheless.
    It will be iterative and obviously balance won't be perfect from the start. (Source)
    Hoping for an agile beta testing phase!
    It will be important for us to get a lot of testing & feedback during beta. Want to encourage alot of participation (Source)

removing any CC is a design shift away from strategic dungeon gameplay. Warlords of Faceroll
    I think you misunderstood what Holinka was saying. See further tweets with clarification. (Source)
    how else can 'removing (some) CC abilities' be interpreted? Are there just too many?
    Yes, most definitely. (Source)
    Jumping from [Removing some of the tons of CC] to [Dungeons no longer require strategy] is a humongous (incorrect) leap. (Source)
    this would impact both pve and pvp, yes? Will dungeons require CC? Strategy?
    There will still be CC, and it will still be just as strategically valuable in dungeons. (Source)
    as a prot warrior feeling marginalized in my role, removing CC only exacerbates those feelings. Like tanks only matter 4 raiding
    Not at all the case. Tanks are definitely needed for dungeons. Not sure how this affects that at all. (Source)
    tanks in 5 mans are only relevant in the beginning, gear overtakes and healing and dps survivability reign.
    A) I'd disagree with that until there's an absolutely massive gear difference. B) What does removing some CC have to do with that? (Source)

What do you think about squishing mana to a solid 1000? Huge numbers make no sense when it's static anyway!
    It'll be squished to something comparable to health. (Source)

Note that rogues don't have redundant dps cooldowns, that is all!
    We actually like DPS cooldowns that have gameplay changes (e.g. Shadowdance) than "Moar damage" (Source)

Absolutely, we saw that in Mists but I'm just cautioning that I'm afraid of where it may lead. I really like AM.
    We really like Active Mitigation as well; it's turned out quite well. (Source)

a while back mr said hunters / rogues would get an overhaul next x-pac, just wondering if still happening? Thanks!
    "Overhaul", no. We want to better distinguish their different specs. That's not an "overhaul" at all, though. (Source)

Why does encounter design come first, rather than class balance?Encounters don't require insane dmg> players don't need insane dmg
    They are pretty interwoven and there's a lot of back and forth between the two teams. The class team has a lot of customers. (Source)

Monk (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    I never want to go back to Jab Jab Uplift, I just like how the two styles integrate easily.
    The problem is cherrypicking. Don't want to allow you to pick the best parts of both. (Source)
    Thus, we need to have some cost to switching modes. Doesn't take much; 1 GCD may suffice. (Source)
    Would FW still maintain the "DPS healer" model that we were sold on? Will it be "viable?"
    Yes. Separate stance allows us to balance it separately. (Source)
    Is this going to make mistweaving gimped w/o stance swapping to fist?
    Gimped? At what? Maximum HPS is purely Mistweaving, no Fistweaving. (Source)

So to clarify... If I want to heal I have to channel?
    If you want to do maximum HPS, yes, Mistweavers gameplay involves channeling. (Source)

Just to add to this, what do you plan on doing with fistweaving?
    Both are large concerns that we intend to address. Preserving Fistweaving, but it'll be a separate stance. (Source)
    Wait wait wait, by seperate stance do you mean SotFT? Will FW be energy based?
    No, new stance. No, still mana. No, not at all like Chakra. (Source)
    Are you aiming to keep the same seamless fusion between DPS and healing. I miss 5.0 fw.
    What do you mean by 'seamless fusion'? If you mean Jab-Jab-Uplift, no. No cherrypicking. (Source)

Paladin (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Hiya! Quick Question, so you have fistweaving, and atonement. Any plans for a paladin (seems a natch) or druid version in WoD?
    Druids already have it in Dream of Cenarius. Seal of Faith is doing that for Paladins, though in a different way. (Source)
    Seal of Faith=terrible talent, scrap it
    I suppose that's better feedback than none at all, but reasoning and thoughts would be even better. (Source)
    Unless you give holy a reliable baseline dps HP generator. /4
    Assume you have access to all of the spec's builders/finishers that you want. (Source)
    Holy does not have a reliable dps builder.We have to spec SH for Judgment to grant HP&crusader strike is not reliable
    How is Crusader Strike not reliable? (Source)
    We don't have melee mechanics immunity for one.
    OK, what if you did, with Seal of Faith? (Source)
    I'd spec the talent to gain said immunity and use Insight anyway.
    I sincerely doubt that you'd give up your other lvl 100 talents for that. Could make it only work while active. (Source)
    Can seal swap dance if required on dangerous mechanic. Besides lvl 100 talents for H Pala = bad/situational
    Let's try to back up a step. Don't get stuck in 'how' nitpicking. Feedback on the general intent of the talent? (Source)
    The biggest issue is that, as a paladin, DPS-based healing doesn't feeling natural.
    How so? It'd be new functionality that you're not used to, but that could be said for anything. (Source)
    Talenting into Stance Dancing just sounds horrible period in both feel and power.
    The intent is no dancing. It's a committed thing. (Source)
    You can't really expect a healer not to dance, too many variables in a fight
    You can expect them not to dance if they aren't able to. (Source)

Icy Veins Christmas Contest Voting
    The 20 finalists in the Icy Veins Christmas Contest have been selected and are now being voted on!

Last edited by chaud; 2013-12-23 at 12:59 AM.

Bonus for people that read the comments:

Lol US looks bad
    Last edited by Noix; 2013-12-22 at 10:20 PM. Reason: lol totally had to rewrite that

I never finished because on my new character when I read you need all that valor and other crap, I was like hell no I am done.

Deleted
    Interesting seeing the difference between EU ans NA.

Interesting to see that more Europeans have done the quest line. Are US people more interested in PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by lordreinhart View Post
    I never finished because on my new character when I read you need all that valor and other crap, I was like hell no I am done.
    Yea i am working on few alts.. just wish it would be lot more easier to do it on alts... sigh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Bonus for people that read the comments:

[CHART]
    You mean that's US and EU? EU i assume blue?

EDIT: Nevermind, i discovered mouse-hovering.

I did it on my main, and decided not to bother on my alts. Just too time consuming to do it for them as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Interesting to finally see some numbers around the whole "LOL EVERYONE HAS WELFARE LEGENDARY" deal.

Obviously 20% of all players having the legendary is still far higher than the 4% drop chance from previous gear. What I would find interesting would be a comparison between the Cloaks and other legendaries from when they were current (so % of warrior/paladin/death knight with Shadowmourne when it was current, % of paladin/priest/shaman with Val'yar, % of rogues with Fangs of the Father and % of Mage, Druid, Warlock, Shadow Priest, Elemental Shaman with Dragonwrath).
    Last edited by Hottage; 2013-12-22 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Interesting to finally see some numbers around the whole "LOL EVERYONE HAS WELFARE LEGENDARY" deal.

Obviously 20% of all players having the legendary is still far higher than the 4% drop chance from previous gear. What I would find interesting would be a comparison between the Cloaks and other legendaries from when they were current (so % of warrior/paladin/death knight with Shadowmourne when it was current, % of paladin/priest/shaman with Val'yar and % of rogues with Fangs of the Father).
    We could do something like that with the achievement date on Fangs of the Father and others with achievements, but the problem is all of the people that got them and quit playing will make the numbers look lower than they really were.

e: I looked really quick, even not including the date it was earned, just active since Nov 15, and there are still only 33,780 players with that achievement that still play. Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest has 39,380. Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker has 110,943. Shadowmourne has 31,264. Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings has 12,517. Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury has 65,657. Warglaives of Azzinoth has 46,327. Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian has 419. Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros has 96,569.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Perhaps you could use another piece of data to work out what characters were active at the time as well?
    The problem is that almost all character profiles from before Patch 5.3 or 5.4 are gone from the armory now due to data changes that wipe profiles until you log in again.
    Last edited by chaud; 2013-12-22 at 10:46 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    We could do something like that with the achievement date on Fangs of the Father and others with achievements, but the problem is all of the people that got them and quit playing will make the numbers look lower than they really were.

e: I looked really quick, even not including the date it was earned, just active since Nov 15, and there are still only 33,780 players with that achievement that still play.
    Perhaps you could use another piece of data to work out what characters were active at the time as well?
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not many at all really, I am actually somewhat surprised.

Got the cloak on my warlock, but that's it.
    I am at step 3 or something on one of my alts, and 2 that are at the first step or so, but it's just not worth it.

Deleted
    20% of players have the cloak, and that is skewed towards people that have a guild etc etc.

So lets say 15%, can we finally put the "OMFG EVERY NOOB HAS CLOAK" bullshit now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    20% of players have the cloak, and that is skewed towards people that have a guild etc etc.

So lets say 15%, can we finally put the "OMFG EVERY NOOB HAS CLOAK" bullshit now?
    I would welcome it if we could but I doubt that it will happen. Now it will likely be more like "OMFG. EVERY NOOB COULD HAVE HAD A CLOAK" and then some comment about lazy players who won't work hard in a video game. Yeah, I'm that cynical but let's not whisper it around.

20% seems about right to me for a legendary that was really open to anyone who wanted it. It also speaks in a roundabout way to the fact that only one in five players was interested enough in having what is a really spectacular piece of gear statwise to do the grind for it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    I think this legendary quest model sucks hard.

Its starts off as a solo thing, and you get into it, then you find you need to get a group and do pvp....

I dont mind getting groups normally, but on a dead server, trying to get one to do outdated content is impossible, so that just kills the quest dead. and you are left feeling really disappointed.

I think this model can be added to the long list of mistakes on Bliz's part during MoP, a depressingly long list.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshiIsu View Post
    I think this legendary quest model sucks hard.

Its starts off as a solo thing, and you get into it, then you find you need to get a group and do pvp....

I dont mind getting groups normally, but on a dead server, trying to get one to do outdated content is impossible, so that just kills the quest dead. and you are left feeling really disappointed.

I think this model can be added to the long list of mistakes on Bliz's part during MoP, a depressingly long list.
    The entire chain can be done with the lfr queue system, Openraid and OQ. I am on a dead server and had zero issue with it, and got my cloak day 1 of the patch. The only thing stopping you is yourself.

edit: and I did it before the nerfs.

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

Quote Originally Posted by lordreinhart View Post
    Are you saying you want the best PvE item in the game without capping Valor for three weeks?
    Or are you saying you worked toward it until you realised you were working toward it and quit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapheiros View Post
    This. Please can Blizzard get their act together and get the art department to start working on class balance. It's getting ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

Every legendary should be like Atiesh--hard to get, and remove the ability to get it after the content is no longer current.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowmorne is pretty rare...me likes . (didnt bother with valnary because its ugly and i dont play a healer anyway)