Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Common sense and knowledge of how factory->distributor->marketing works. You think the whole 400$ goes to Sony?
    What they said is the cost to make the console is less than it's price. That's true. But they are not PROFITING from selling them. Directly.
    I said that about 20 dollars per console goes to Sony. Not "the whole 400 dollars". AMD alone makes about 100 dollars per processor sold to Sony and Microsoft.

I read that the God of War dev team had to squeeze everything they could out of the PS3 for GoW3 and Ascension... With PS4 it will look much better but if it was available PC the only limit would be the sky, or the customer's wallets.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    It would surprise me if the transport and storage of PS4 came to more than 5 dollars per unit. You pay transport by the container, not by the amount of units transported, and they aren't transporting them via air freight.
    So, 5 dollar leaves 15 dollar, how much for the retailer that needs to cover his own costs and make a profit?

How much does the insurance want to insure a warehouse with a few thousands or millions worth of units/parts? (Doubt it will be 5/per unit off-course, but still, the insurance for the retailer is also coming out of that 20 dollar)
    Last edited by Amorac; 2013-12-23 at 11:00 PM.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I said that about 20 dollars per console goes to Sony. Not "the whole 400 dollars". AMD alone makes about 100 dollars per processor sold to Sony and Microsoft.
    Dude, 20 dollars is the gap between unit cost and it's price tag. And it's actually 18 not 20. It's not the profit Sony makes. Where did you even get that? Console is sold for 400, it costs 382 to make it. How much money do you think is "lost" in the "factory->delivery->distributor->delivery->storage->retailer chain? Considering the fact that every element of the chain is in it for the PROFIT?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    CPU performance...you're doing it wrong.

The processors in those consoles are not even close to the power of an i7-4770k

1) somebody forgot about hyper threading
    2) Higher clock speed does not mean higher performance
    3) You'd be weird to buy a 4770k and keep it at stock
    4) Intel's IPC is miles ahead of that of AMD
    5) The 'next-gen' consoles are absolute crap compared to mid/high-end PC gear.
    Not even close to an i5 4670 and not even close to an a10 6800k apu....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Well depends, 4770K does not shit on the AMD CPU in terms of gaming yet. We might have 3-4 games that properly supports the 4770K's hyperthreading, that will change with mantle hopefully.

Depends, consoles already has some games that are better looking than 99 % of the games we have right now. If anything, the new consoles can only get better with optimization and we should see much better looking games overall.
    WHAT DID YOU SMOKE?

PS4 and one have no anti aliasing, shadow are mid tier....nor solid 1080p 60fps....It looks good but anything on PC is better looking than that.

Dude, 20 dollars is the gap between unit cost and it's price tag. And it's actually 18 not 20. It's not the profit Sony makes. Where did you even get that? Console is sold for 400, it costs 382 to make it. How much money do you think is "lost" in the "factory->delivery->distributor->delivery->storage->retailer chain? Considering the fact that every element of the chain is in it for the PROFIT?
    That won't make a difference because they aren't only shipping PS4s per container/truck etc..

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    This.

Determining performance is not as simple as multiplying together the number of cores and the speed at which they operate. The architecture of the chip (including things like single thread performance, ipc, etc) is much more important.

As an example, look at this comparison of the FX-8350 (an 8-core CPU manufactured by AMD) compared to the i7 3770K (a 4+4 core CPU manufactured by Intel).
    What you fail to see sir is that the FX 8350 is not a true 8 core processor, it is a quad core with 2 die per core. I run the 8350 @4.7Ghz I chose it for multitasking over just gaming!

Quote Originally Posted by rauta View Post
    Now when PS4 and Xbox One consoles are up and they have better CPU than current i7-4770k. AMD Jaguar 8 core has 1,8Ghz x 8 cores = 14,4ghz and stock 4770k 3,5Ghz x 4 = 14Ghz.
    AMD Jaguar has about 2.8% more computing power and with 8 cores it will probably be 50% faster in multitasking programs such as CAD programs which is silly because you can just play and watch videos with consoles.
    1) you are forgetting about Hyper-Threading
    and
    2) that isn't how it works

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    That won't make a difference because they aren't only shipping PS4s per container/truck etc..
    Yes they are. Especially before the launch day.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Thread has became what it was destined to be. Console / PC pissing match, a few math corrections, etc.

Most of what I read was correct, but I'm going to assume you didn't mean to start a pissing match, which means the best answer to the actual question was the people who proposed quantity. You could cut a pretty good deal for your favorite CPU if you're willing to order a ton.

Reminds me of a computer builder enthusiast magazine I read. They once did a rare article on good points about buying pre-fab. Paraphrasing from memory, one was "No matter how good of a deal you THINK you got, you didn't order your parts by the train car".

(as an aside: the other point that made me laugh was "they get their advice from engineers. actual engineers with engineering degrees. you get your advice from a couple hacks editing a magazine")

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont bite, dont bite....

OP is clearly just messing with people.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Yes they are. Especially before the launch day.
    They are like weeks before the launch shipped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    They are like weeks before the launch shipped.
    Sure, all at once as quick as possible in one big shipment.