Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Irrelevant items are removed from this game almost on a monthly basis. Something emerges which no longer serves a purpose is removed. Ammunition, flint and tinder, reagents, class trainers. Though the last one is still being repurposed for respeccing. If it no longer serves a purpose, it should be removed.
    But it serves a purpose.
    When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    But it serves a purpose.
    and that purpose?

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    True... had not thought of that. Outlands likely does not have oxygen either, so I would not matter. Without a ceiling, we could fly to Outlands. This idea has possibility!

    (totally not serious )

    - - - Updated - - -



    Well then they need to add Mount fatigue into land travel. You can only fly so far and then you are force to use a Land Mount until your flight fatigue CD resets. It makes no sense to keep it unless there is MORE fatigue which explains it.
    I acknowledge that flying and travel in general the way it is now is unrealistic. Hell, running in this game is unrealistic, because there's no way any person will be able to run indefinitely without getting tired and having to slow down. Swimming is unrealistic, because there's no way your average person wearing full plate mail would be able to keep from sinking like a stone, let alone actually swimming. (Don't get me started on lava.) But you're not asking for all this kind of travel to be more realistic, because that would make the game all but unplayable. In exchange, we have what is called a willing suspension of disbelief that comes standard for all games like this with travel and flying.

    Like I said before, what you're suggesting is that people stretch their willing suspension of disbelief past reasonable limits. And besides that, which is the real point I was trying to get at: it's too ridiculously convenient. There comes a point where convenience becomes stupid, and for me, and clearly others, this is past that point in terms of travel.
    Last edited by CalamityHeart; 2013-12-23 at 08:33 PM.

  4. #104
    Mechagnome Spazzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    538
    I like the ideal, but I don't think it would work very well with cross-realm or implementation.

    ~Spazzer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

  5. #105
    Cred to the idea but times like these it seems the majoity wants to ditch flyging rather than improving it

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    and that purpose?
    Well, for one thing, there's numerous technical challenges that might not make sense at first glance.

    For starters, it would most likely have to port you to a fixed position every time you went to the other continent. Oh, you wanted to fly due west from Stranglethorn and end up near Tanaris? Sorry, you're landing in Ratchet (or some other destination), just like every single other person who flies from EK to Kalimdor.

    They can't really do a dynamic translation of just ending up in the same spot on the other map's opposite coast, because instance portals are all designed to teleport us to exactly one destination, not a dynamic one, and this scheme essentially turns the coastline into an instance portal.

    So chances are, it wouldn't be anywhere near as simple as you might think it is. The fact that it's probably not simple of a change at all makes it highly unlikely, simply because the 'gain' of allowing people to skip boats doesn't really add up to enough to make it worth the effort. There's already dozens of ways of getting between continents, with numerous teleportation items all over, skills that send us everywhere, our Hearthstones, transportation, and not to mention portals galore.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    and that purpose?
    Many people have pointed out many purposes. You just ignore it so you can condescend to anyone who disagrees with you.
    When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Many people have pointed out many purposes. You just ignore it so you can condescend to anyone who disagrees with you.
    I will repeat my question and overlook your own condescension.

    What is that purpose as YOU see it?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Well, for one thing, there's numerous technical challenges that might not make sense at first glance.

    For starters, it would most likely have to port you to a fixed position every time you went to the other continent. Oh, you wanted to fly due west from Stranglethorn and end up near Tanaris? Sorry, you're landing in Ratchet (or some other destination), just like every single other person who flies from EK to Kalimdor.

    They can't really do a dynamic translation of just ending up in the same spot on the other map's opposite coast, because instance portals are all designed to teleport us to exactly one destination, not a dynamic one, and this scheme essentially turns the coastline into an instance portal.

    So chances are, it wouldn't be anywhere near as simple as you might think it is. The fact that it's probably not simple of a change at all makes it highly unlikely, simply because the 'gain' of allowing people to skip boats doesn't really add up to enough to make it worth the effort. There's already dozens of ways of getting between continents, with numerous teleportation items all over, skills that send us everywhere, our Hearthstones, transportation, and not to mention portals galore.
    This is a fair, and reasonable answer. I accept that.

  9. #109
    Fluffy Kitten Annoying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Socorro, NM, USA
    Posts
    4,563
    Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    Superman, you seem more interested in responding to the people who you think are insulting you, not the people who are offering refutes to your idea. I'm just going to repeat what I brought up earlier, for your consideration.
    The fact that flying mounts can fly indefinitely without tiring (or running out of fuel in the case of the non-organic) in-game is quite enough of a suspension of my willing disbelief. Giving flying mounts the ability to make incredibly long trips over vast ocean that can last anywhere from a few days to a week? Yeah, no.

    Aside from that, this would trivialize travel. There is such a thing as too much convenience. This idea is pushing the envelope.
    YOU CAN SHOOT FIRE FROM YOUR HANDS. How is there anything you find unbelievable in a game with this much impossible stuff in it? You can swing a two-handed sword for 20 minutes straight against a boss and still attack at the same rate the whole time. How does your character not tire? Nothing in this game gets "tired", why would you expect mounts to?
    Last edited by Annoying; 2013-12-23 at 10:11 PM.
    CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.9GHz | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 670FTW LE 2GB (SLI) | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 MHz | Case: NZXT Switch 810 White | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro | CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 CLC | SSD: Intel 520 160GB | HDD: 3xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB | PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W | Displays: 3x BL2710PT IPS | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Tactile | Mouse: Razer Deathadder/Naga Epic | Car: Andromeda

  10. #110
    So yeah, nerf Paladins right?

    Don't derail the thread
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-12-23 at 09:12 PM.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    So yeah, nerf Paladins right?
    That's not the topic in this thread.

  12. #112
    I disagree. The fatigue system is in place for a reason. Yes, it is possible for high level players to fly across zones before fatigue kills them. However, I think this system is in place so that low level characters can't swim across entire continents and reach places like GM island.

    However, I do think that it is silly that players can die from fatigue while already dead. I wouldn't mind seeing that removed.

    <3 Kuragalolz for the signature and avatar

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Meillquei View Post
    I disagree. The fatigue system is in place for a reason. Yes, it is possible for high level players to fly across zones before fatigue kills them. However, I think this system is in place so that low level characters can't swim across entire continents and reach places like GM island.

    However, I do think that it is silly that players can die from fatigue while already dead. I wouldn't mind seeing that removed.
    This too makes sense. Swimming SHOULD have a fatigue factor. Flying should not. However, if there really is a mythical GM island, I would imagine since everything else has its own server, the island would too.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    Superman, you seem more interested in responding to the people who you think are insulting you, not the people who are offering refutes to your idea. I'm just going to repeat what I brought up earlier, for your consideration.
    YOU CAN SHOOT FIRE FROM YOUR HANDS. How is there anything you find unbelievable in a game with this much impossible stuff in it? You can swing a two-handed sword for 20 minutes straight against a boss and still attack at the same rate the whole time. How does your character not tire? Nothing in this game gets "tired", why would you expect mounts to?
    You're missing the point. There is a lot of incredible stuff in the game. I tolerate this incredible stuff because the game would be unplayable without it. I gave a short list of examples above.

    However, there comes a point where my willing suspension of disbelief has been stretched far enough, and this idea being presented is past that point. There's no reason why it should be implemented, because the system is trivialized enough for me to tolerate. Trivializing it further is fundamentally unnecessary.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I will repeat my question and overlook your own condescension.

    What is that purpose as YOU see it?
    I very much agree with most of the reasons that have been given to you. That is why I am bothering to respond to you.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    This too makes sense. Swimming SHOULD have a fatigue factor. Flying should not. However, if there really is a mythical GM island, I would imagine since everything else has its own server, the island would too.
    You haven't proven that fatigue should be removed from flying. You just keep stomping your feet and demanding it be taken away. Just calling it irrelevant doesn't make it so.
    When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I very much agree with most of the reasons that have been given to you. That is why I am bothering to respond to you.
    Well, I will not bother you any longer. If I require your opinion, I will just read the posts of others. Have a nice day.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You just keep stomping your feet and demanding it be taken away.
    Haven't stomped my foot in 35 years. You have me mistaken with the person in your assumption.

    As for Fatigue, it should be removed from flight. We've already established a mount fails to tire after flying the entire length of Kalimdor, yet gets sleepy 25 feet off the coast of it. But, since OTHERS have gladly offered solid opinions, rather than just choosing to start an argument, I would have to say I am in agreement with several of them.

  17. #117
    I can be wrong but fatigue isn't there for the sake of avoiding players butting their nose on remote and unfinished islands or landmass?
    How about we let the parenting of kids to... their parents? No, seriously, World of Warcraft is a videogame. Gaming it's supposed to be a fun activity (if you have that fun through challenges, social interactions, etc is completely up to you). Not some kind of "School of Hard Knocks about the Real World".

  18. #118
    "I'm a paladin and I can cross water without being fatigued, therefore it should be removed"

    I'm a monk and I feel that my high mobility renders ground mounts obsolete. Therefore I think ground mounts should be removed.

    Very poor example, but my point remains.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetHydrant View Post
    Very poor example
    Indeed it was.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    I can be wrong but fatigue isn't there for the sake of avoiding players butting their nose on remote and unfinished islands or landmass?
    This seems to be a possibility. But if all continents are truly on separate servers, then there is only a blank zone at the end of every oceanic map.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Well, I will not bother you any longer. If I require your opinion, I will just read the posts of others. Have a nice day.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Haven't stomped my foot in 35 years. You have me mistaken with the person in your assumption.

    As for Fatigue, it should be removed from flight. We've already established a mount fails to tire after flying the entire length of Kalimdor, yet gets sleepy 25 feet off the coast of it. But, since OTHERS have gladly offered solid opinions, rather than just choosing to start an argument, I would have to say I am in agreement with several of them.
    No, it shouldn't be removed. Just saying you don't like it doesn't prove a single thing.

    Yes, you're stomping your feet over the internet.

    You're the one starting arguments. Even though you are wrong.
    When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •