Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    People are going to say no but really there's no good reason to keep it in the game. It serves no real purpose other than an artificial barrier which isn't really necessary in the first place. I'd be happy to see it go. Just put up an invisible wall if they need to keep you from reaching another continent, that way you don't have to worry about losing your corpse at sea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    A. It's not a priority, it is a suggestion. Identifying the difference is a start.

B. The "new world" we are going too will only last as long as the next expac after that. The old world is a full time constant. Transmog runs, pet battles, world PvP, farming, etc.

C. It is an expansion of the old world which should have happened in Cata, allowing us to fly out to the malestrom and see it firsthand, but instead became a phased moment before we dive into Deepholm.

I am merely tossing an idea out. People need to stop flying off the handle like Chicken little and assuming I am demanding Blizz to devote all new time and resources to making this happen. This is more of a "I wish..." rather than a necessity.
    The foremost purpose of a wish or an suggestion is to practically review it, if it can be implemented, if it's appropiate etc.

Otherwise it's a fictional idea that holds no weight in any respect. It's like saying "i wish pigs could fly". And?
    You're discussing a practical thing, giving a suggestion to a practical thing.

Now assuming you actually WANT that thing - you are going to have to be able to stand by how it can be justified to be brought in.
    Because it does cost resources, it does take development time - And it's for about millions of people.

The "old world" is a constant - And it can be rebutted to be "But you're only going to do thoose things as you're not experiencing new content".

The idea is to be progressive - not regressive.

Fatigue is just a game mechanic that limits you from going to like GM island

Well then, it is a good thing I never used that tagline. And, also helps that I already have my title and tabard from a long time ago. I just want to hit a button and not have to wait for a boat.

- - - Updated - - -

You seem to conclude "ease" and "convenience" are mutually exclusive.
    No, flying across oceans wouldn't make farming easier or fighting in org easier, or anything else. It would just cut travel time and make it more convenient.

I don't think your mount is able to do a 2 month non stop flight.

Unfortunately, all continents are on their own servers and are actually instances themselves, which is why boats and portals have loading screens.
    Would it not be possible for them to have an "oceanic" (excuse the pun) server, that is just deep water with no features; and when you reach the edge of a continent you enter this server, fly in the direction you want towards the continent you want and after "x" amount of time flying in that direction it loads (in the background) the server for that continent, and when its ready you pop out in the sky off the edge of said continent? Sufficiently far away for it to come into view in the distance rather than popping out of a hole in the sky (like boats do )
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with removing fatigue. Is there even a point for fatigue anymore other than just being an annoyance?
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

If the server I suggested was featureless it also wouldn't have to be very big; just an up and down and then you could effectively be flying on the spot as far as orientation is concerned as theres no features out there so all it has to track is the direction you're flying in ;p
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorsfan View Post
    It's like saying "i wish pigs could fly". And?
    You're discussing a practical thing, giving a suggestion to a practical thing.

Now assuming you actually WANT that thing - you are going to have to be able to stand by how it can be justified to be brought in.
    Because it does cost resources, it does take development time - And it's for about millions of people.

The "old world" is a constant - And it can be rebutted to be "But you're only going to do thoose things as you're not experiencing new content".

The idea is to be progressive - not regressive.
    Mage + Critter Polymorph + Pig = flying pigs where birds once stood.

The idea IS progress. Progress, to move forward. Too long has there been restrictions on what could and could not be done in the old world. Cata brought us flight in Azeroth. We didn't need it. We had Flight Paths. Wrath brought us a way to remove ammo and quivers from the game. We didn't really need them, they were just immersion for some and hindrance for others. TBC brought us flight in the first place. Wasn't really needed, we got along fine without it for 69 levels.

My point is, when you want to make the world FEEL bigger, it cannot hold restrictions. I understand why the loading screens exist, and never suggested removing them. I did, however, mention that travel in the old world would go much faster for those lvl 80+ who do things outside of the current content. With flight restrictions removed, it would take nothing to mount up, fly west, hit a loading screen, and then fly another 500ft to farm Onyxia for a mount. Or to head for Orgrimmar to cause some havoc, or even just to get to central Kalimdor without having to port to Darnassus and fly for 20 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Would it not be possible for them to have an "oceanic" (excuse the pun) server, that is just deep water with no features; and when you reach the edge of a continent you enter this server, fly in the direction you want towards the continent you want and after "x" amount of time flying in that direction it loads (in the background) the server for that continent, and when its ready you pop out in the sky off the edge of said continent? Sufficiently far away for it to come into view in the distance rather than popping out of a hole in the sky (like boats do )
    That would be cool. They could even add some small islands and 18 hour rare spawns as mounts or hunter pets. It could serve tons of purposes. There could even be a little hut with an Inn run by Mankrik's wife.

this would never work.

There is nothing there.

There is nothing in the middle. It does not go all the way across. they would need to create it. If you fly far enough , you will hit a wall.

if they remove fatigue, you will still not be able to fly across. This would be a meaningless/pointless change that has no need or reason to change.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I don't think your mount is able to do a 2 month non stop flight.
    Didn't realize each boat trip to Darnassus from Stormwind was 2 months long.

Would rather have less flying-focused travel. We did just fine woth boats, zeps, flight posts and ground mount
    Where i upload all my music:
    My Soundcloud!

It would likely take less time to just use the port to Hyjal or Uldum.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Just think for a bit why there is a loading screen when changing continents..
    You think people who make these sort of posts think? They just want to click a place on a make, go auto and wander off to where their mummy has made their tea.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ Avada Kedavra - You likely missed the OP, so I will repeat it. You would fly 800 feet off the coast and hit a loading screen. You would select one of the other 3 continents, and then it would load again and you would re-emerge off the coast of that continent. I am not talking about a full uninterrupted flight. And the "wall" people are talking about would be removed and replaced with a loading screen.

@ Avada Kedavra - You likely missed the OP, so I will repeat it. You would fly 800 feet off the coast and hit a loading screen. You would select one of the other 3 continents, and then it would load again and you would re-emerge off the coast of that continent. I am not talking about a full uninterrupted flight. And the "wall" people are talking about would be removed and replaced with a loading screen.
    But whats the point? Why? I didnt miss it, it just fails to provide any good reason to implement this change.

This adds zero benefit.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    But whats the point? Why? I didnt miss it, it just fails to provide any good reason to implement this change.

This adds zero benefit.
    I guess its a matter of perspective. I know plenty of my guildies who feel pet battle dev time adds zero benefit. Who am I to disagree? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    It would likely take less time to just use the port to Hyjal or Uldum.
    Yet I would still have to fly north or south to Ony's cave. I would say my idea would shorten travel time between certain parts of the continent. Unless of course they want to just add a transporter into each city where you can step in and select your destination. ENG already have them, maybe make a few hundred more, and then give ENG a personal teleporter to make up for having to share with everyone else. If I could transport from Stormwind to Chillwind camp, or Darnassus to Feathermoon in Feralas, I would be ok with that.

Deleted
    IIRC, WoW's continents are not placed on the same plane; they are, instead, stacked on top of one another. This comes from some old memories of people managing to somehow jump into other continents (Outland, maybe), due to points of connection in random locations.
    They probably set up Fatigue in order to make sure noone, with enough time to waste, can reach the "end of the world", with pixels sudenly running out as in The Thirteenth Floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post

This adds zero benefit.
    Its just people fighting for more convenience. They don't want to actually play, they just want to click a few times and get things. They need to lurk reddit while they "play" WoW...