Having a few problems with the game. Just bought it.

I just got Guild Wars 2, and immediately have noticed some thing that I'm not sure is intentional, or bugs that have yet to be patched. I'm hoping there's a fix to some of them.

Possibly the most annoying for me as of now, is strafing the target. It's as if my character has sever tunnel vision and refuses to attack anything from the sides (especially anything coming at me from my right.) I'm playing as an engineer at the moment, so I'm not sure if it's just a limitation of the engineer or not. The enemy NPC's can be right up on me or from a distance.

Second, the NPC voice audio sounds bad, as if it was recorded in a auditorium and not a recording studio. It echos a lot. I've turned the sound quality up to the highest and even tried the lowest, but it didn't fix it.

Third, I can't zoom into my character when moving the camera. It isn't a big deal, but moderately annoying. I've looked through the settings and it doesn't look like there's a way to fix it.

Fourth, I can't seem to use shift + num pad keys for the num pad of my mouse. I would like to map all of my abilities from 6 to 0 on the num pad as well as use a shift modifier for the profession skills 1 to 4. Any way to do this?
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-12-23 at 04:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a number of ways that combat is different in GW2 - range, obstacles, no passive stats, aiming consistency, etc.
    This video shows what should expect, if you are seeing something different then it's an issue with your game or settings.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_zMPcT2jgc

The NPC voices is a new one to me. I've got my sound settings at mid for Quality and Music Interval, lowest for Latency. Might need a repair to your files or put in a ticket.

I use the scroll wheel on my mouse to zoom in, but you can only go so far.

Not sure on the mouse binds, have you tried using the mouse software?
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    For the audio problems, upgrade your audio drivers. If you already have latest drivers... then you might need a new sound card. I had a similar problem when I had not upgraded my audio drives for a year.

Also, for the zooming in, yes, you can't zoom in-character unfortunately and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Also, for the zooming in, yes, you can't zoom in-character unfortunately and it sucks.
    Oh I don't mean zooming into the character. When I hold the right mouse button to rotate my camera / change direction, I can't zoom out or closer to the scene simultaneously.
    Ran the automatic searched for audio updates in device manager. It seems fine.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-12-23 at 06:28 PM.

Camera and movement issues have been a hot topic for a long time now. Many people are not happy with it, while many forum warriors have fought tirelessly to prove that everything is perfect.

Anyway, yes those are indeed issues many people have been having since beta, but by now it's beating a dead horse since it will obviously never improve or change.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Not sure on the mouse binds, have you tried using the mouse software?
    I'm using a original Razer Naga with original drivers. It never came with a software CD for any configuring. Razer's website might have something, but I'm sort of afraid that whatever they have is going to kill my mouse after hearing people having so many problems with the Razer Naga line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Camera and movement issues have been a hot topic for a long time now. Many people are not happy with it, while many forum warriors have fought tirelessly to prove that everything is perfect.

Anyway, yes those are indeed issues many people have been having since beta, but by now it's beating a dead horse since it will obviously never improve or change.
    Oh darn...
    After watching the video that Karizee had linked, I'm beginning to wonder if strafing is actually a good tactic for this game. I use the dodging mechanic when possible, but since it requires stamina, I feel rather silly standing in place like a idiot waiting for it to regain.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-12-23 at 06:35 PM.

what's wrong with the movement?

the camera has been an issue I agree, I've gotten used to it so it doesn't bother me anymore but I can see new players having issues (especially with camera speed as they have it on the slowest speed by default for whatever reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    what's wrong with the movement?

the camera has been an issue I agree, I've gotten used to it so it doesn't bother me anymore but I can see new players having issues (especially with camera speed as they have it on the slowest speed by default for whatever reason)
    I think I may have just figured it out. I'm used to playing ranged classes in other MMORPG's where it's vital in keeping a far distance from your target by strafing (mostly because they can still attack you without physically needing to touch you.) Where as in GW2, I just run in a tight circle and doge the attacks of NPC's when needed. Now with other real players, I don't know how that will fare.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the skills you're using as well. I think that's one of the reasons I like Elementalist so much - PBaoe's, mmmm.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Area_of_effect
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Love the Avatar and Sig, OP! EMH and Phlox the best ST Docs! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, the "Attack cone" in GW2 is tighter than that in some other MMOs.

Generally you CAN strafe away from an enemy and keep firing, but it won't be in a perfect line away from them. You'll have to face toward them just a few degrees, which does mean you're technically circling (though you can make the circle large enough that you never really complete it).
    Yeah, that's seemed to be the issue. I've figured out a nice pattern of dodge weaving and circling that seems to be working out. The fighting is definitely more confined to a smaller area, which is a first I've seen in a mmo.

One other thing that I wished I could modify for the game is the FOV. It isn't a big ordeal since it's a MMORPG, but it would be nice. : P

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    Love the Avatar and Sig, OP! EMH and Phlox the best ST Docs! <3
    Thanks! (if you click it, you could have a background for three monitors. Though the quality is a bit off on some.) The EMH is my favorite, but second favorite... I can't really decide! D:
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-12-23 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Oh darn...
    After watching the video that Karizee had linked, I'm beginning to wonder if strafing is actually a good tactic for this game. I use the dodging mechanic when possible, but since it requires stamina, I feel rather silly standing in place like a idiot waiting for it to regain.
    Strafing is the best mechanic in game to avoid damage, it's even better than dodging.
    What you see here can also be done in melee range.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).