Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride
    However Blizzard's current "throw the baby out with the bath water" philosophy of just hacking off whatever is "inconvenient" is not it.
    I don't think the loss if uninteresting mechanics is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    I don't think the loss if uninteresting mechanics is bad.
    "Immersion" isn't about mechanics, it's about flavor.

They could have just fixed stuff up to be less annoying.

e.g. Hunters and ammo.

Take up bag space? Run out during raids?

Hunters should have a quiver build into the character, capable of holding 1024 arrows - or whatever amount they typically use in a fight + margin of error.

Ran out mid raid, have you pet go buy you some! Pet comes back in 6 secs.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-12-25 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    Exactly.
    Cute. I'll give you that.

Not that you're in any way correct. Just that you're cute.

Deleted
    The only thing I agree with on this list is the point about flight on Azeroth.

The rest is just convenience-features.

Real immersion would be something completely different, with darker nights, more weather effects, inns and taverns with a purpose, more world content, and so on.

From Miriam Webster:

im·mer·sion noun \i-ˈmər-zhən, -shən\

: the act of putting someone or something completely in a liquid or the state of being completely in a liquid
    : complete involvement in some activity or interest
    : a method of learning a foreign language by being taught entirely in that language

Immersion in this situation isn't a property of the game. It's a property of the gamer. And since everybody is different, different players will require different and sometimes contradictory qualities in order to inspire "complete involvement".

So Blizzard CAN'T put immersion back into the game because the game never had immersion to begin with.

And after almost 10 years the audience has become so diverse there's really nothing left that they can do with the game. WoW is on a death spiral. And even I'm guilty of sometimes acusing "this" or "That" of killing it. But the fact is immersion becomes more and more difficult as you do the same things over and over again in slight variations (but our brains recognize patterns).

So immersion is gone. Sorry.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Immersion is gone because, somewhere along the line, the RPG part of the MMORPG disappeared. There's very little customization of your character, which, IMO, is the heart of RPGs - it brings you closer to the game, makes you feel invested. In truth, there's very little investment in characters at all anymore - you can pretty much get whatever you want without much effort. I find that I take more pride in things I work harder for.

On the OP - You make a list of several items that were great minor changes to the game, but you lose my trust when you sprinkle in major changes that were NOT necessarily good. It seems you're trying to lump them all together, and they just don't fit that way.

Deleted
    A lot of that really wasn't that immersive, but mostly annoying.

I really do mean a lot though - there are some things I want to see back.

10. Samantha Swifthoof will be returned to the path in Stranglethorn Vale
    - Hahahaha...oh memories. But what happened to her?

23. Original talent trees will be implemented and everyone will once again be able to tweak their class
    - er...puzzled. How were the old talents more "immersive?"

11. Certain quest mobs will be given their elite status back and will require a group to kill them.
    - This. Please give us back the Elites blizzard I miss being able to solo them (often with difficulty!) on my hunter. LOL.

A lot of the stuff you listed was simply repetitive. If they implemented them with more lore and a real "feel" of making a difference then that would be great. But Attunments for HC dungeons? That would be seriously bad for the casual community. No way should it come back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycefli View Post
    But Attunments for HC dungeons? That would be seriously bad for the casual community. No way should it come back.
    Ugh... don't remind me... being forced to run pointless USELESS normals after exhausting them, over and over and OVER again just so I could get enough rep for a pass to heroics.

Now I can get behind raid attunaments, since they were entertaining and made you do previous tier, which is necessary to get gear to advance anyway.
    Last edited by mmoc6e272995a4; 2013-12-26 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Convenience > Immersion. I'm playing a game, not living a second life. Maybe do this for RP servers.
    You do realize this is an MMORPG right? RP is right in the title of the genre of game you are playing.

Lol'd @ removing paladin from horde and shaman from alliance. What are all those people supposed to do that play those classes? Just have their toon deleted and reroll?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    Lol'd @ removing paladin from horde and shaman from alliance. What are all those people supposed to do that play those classes? Just have their toon deleted and reroll?
    Yeah if they reimplemented #25 I would quit the game.. I play a Draenei Shaman and enjoy it a lot and doing #25 would pretty much destroy TBC (Draenei Shaman and Blood Elf paladins) and Cataclysm (Tauren Paladins).. I also play a hunter and was so happy to get a bag slot back not having to lug around ammo also you were stuffed if you ran out of ammo halfway through a raid..

And bringing back the min range deadzone hell no since some of the boss fights now require you to stack up real close and there goes your dps, but if they did that then give hunters back their melee weapons which were pretty much useless anyway..

But we all know that this bollocks thread is a introduce vanilla servers disguised as something else..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Turmoill View Post
    Ugh... don't remind me... being forced to run pointless USELESS normals after exhausting them, over and over and OVER again just so I could get enough rep for a pass to heroics.

Now I can get behind raid attunaments, since they were entertaining and made you do previous tier, which is necessary to get gear to advance anyway.
    Yeah raid attunements would be good to bring back but attuning to HC dungeons no not anymore..

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palinn View Post
    There's very little customization of your character, which, IMO, is the heart of RPGs - it brings you closer to the game, makes you feel invested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palinn View Post
    I you can pretty much get whatever you want without much effort.
    One is not quite like the other ...

They need to work on story immersion before worrying about game play. Whether or not my hunter uses arrows is secondary to whether or not my character feels like a part of the story. Every time I have to stop and thing, "wait wtf?" about a story element that break immersion and no amount of arrows will fix it.

Nothing is going to make playing my draenei shaman in SoO feel immersive because in the story there are no draenei there and shamans don't work. Whether she has to carry little totems in her bag or not isn't going to affect that immersion.

When Wrathion is lecturing my draenei on the dangers of the Legion and how Azeroth should unity it doesn't matter if she had to feed her pet or not.

When the story isn't immersive, no amount of game mechanics will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    So, after some recent discussion, it would seem convenience is destroying immersion. So, I would suggest putting immersion back in the game. Just so we are clear, this is my personal opinion. I speak for no one other than myself, and do NOT believe this will ever be seen by Blizz since this is not their official forum. With that in mind, here are some conveniences which need to be removed in order to improve immersion and bring back the RPG feel to the game:

1. Hunters will now be asked to give up a bag slot in exchange for a quiver or ammo pouch.
    2. Ammunition will make its return.
    3. Ranged weapons will once again need to be ranged. a 10 yard dead zone will be re-implemented.
    4. Weapon and unarmed skills will need to be raised separately once more.
    5. Hunter and Battle Pets will need to be fed to keep them happy and to prevent them from running away.
    6. Attunements and Keys will be added back into Heroics. If you do not have a key, or a party member with one, you are out of luck.
    7. Simple Wood and Flint & Tinder are once again needed to make fire.
    8. Spell reagents will be re-implemented
    9. Flight will be removed from Azeroth but remain in the newer territories to provide more old world immersion
    10. Samantha Swifthoof will be returned to the path in Stranglethorn Vale
    11. Certain quest mobs will be given their elite status back and will require a group to kill them.
    12. Low level dungeons will get patrols once more who will respawn and can come up behind players without warning
    13. Guild perks will be removed
    14. Mining, Skinning, and Herbing all have a chance to fail when trying and will once again only give 1 item at a time up to a total of 3.
    15. All extra Auction Houses, Mailboxes, and Banks will be removed from Stormwind and Orgrimmar bringing them back to 1 each.
    16. Warlocks will now farm shards once more to provide a power base for certain spells.
    17. Paladins, Warlocks, Druids, and Shaman no longer get special animals and mounts automatically. There is once again a quest chain to accomplish these means.
    18. Druids will be reduced to 3 specs which will once again combine Guardian and Feral into the original Cat/Bear combo.
    19. Each class Pet will again require a quest to complete in order to learn how to summon their pet.
    20. Training is no longer automatic. You must once again visit your class trainer.
    21. Pet trainers will be included in the afore mentioned.
    22. Dual specs will be removed as you can only really play one spec at a time.
    23. Original talent trees will be implemented and everyone will once again be able to tweak their class
    24. Rogues will again be making poisons and applying them as they learn them.
    25. Paladins will be removed from the Horde as Shaman will be removed from the Alliance. Too much class/faction homogenization.

Please feel free to add to this list. I'm sure there are plenty of immersive type items I am missing.

*Also, don't take this list too seriously. It was all in good fun. Mostly a farce to show how much things have improved.
    Sounds like Vanilla WoW. Realistically I would like zones to revolve around dungeons again, a big quest lead up that ended up sending you into the instance like Storm peaks did.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Deleted
    You idiots, just wait until you have 200+ pets and need to feed them on a daily basis!

No none of these "inconveniences" or "immersion" needs to come back into the game

^the above is likewise my personal opinion and should in no way be affiliated with the official opinions and interests of Blizzard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    1. Hunters will now be asked to give up a bag slot in exchange for a quiver or ammo pouch.
    2. Ammunition will make its return.
    A nice change, but only if it applies across the board, e.g. mages now need a reagent pouch and "arcane powder" to cast fireballs and other spells.
    3. Ranged weapons will once again need to be ranged. a 10 yard dead zone will be re-implemented.
    No, it makes sense you can shoot an enemy point-blank.
    5. Hunter and Battle Pets will need to be fed to keep them happy and to prevent them from running away.
    I partially agree with this, they should be fed to keep them happy so they perform well, but there shouldn't be the risk of running away.
    9. Flight will be removed from Azeroth but remain in the newer territories to provide more old world immersion
    While I would like flight removed entirely, unfortunately some zones such as Storm Peaks require it.
    15. All extra Auction Houses, Mailboxes, and Banks will be removed from Stormwind and Orgrimmar bringing them back to 1 each.
    Disagree with this one, it helps spread players throughout the city. Although I admit reducing the number of mailboxes to a happy medium between vanilla and modern's amount would be nice.
    21. Pet trainers will be included in the afore mentioned.
    22. Dual specs will be removed as you can only really play one spec at a time.
    IIRC pet trainers didn't actually teach you abilities, but dual spec should stay it has been a great benefit- although the cost to unlock it should be increased

Overall excellent post OP I agree with the other ones not quoted, would like to add a few more of my own:
    1. Ingredients such as spices, apples, and Fresh Water once again required to cook certain recipes.
    2. Classes dehomogenized, classes have distinct mechanical differences once more e.g. Druids will no longer have a ressurecting spell other than Rebirth.
    3. Dungeons Wailing Caverns and Sunken Temple will be restored to their original size.
    4. Mounts will no longer be able to be obtained until level 40 and level 60 for epic mounts.
    5. Alchemy once again requires different types of vials for various potions.
    6. Enchanting once again requires upgrading your enchanting rod to create higher level enchants.
    7. New dungeons include some larger ones such as Blackrock Depths/Spire and Mauradon.
    8. Guild levels and perks removed, removing the incentive to mass invite randoms for Cash Flow. IMO players should join a guild for the people in it and ease of communication/organization, not a list of passive buffs for being in one mechanically handicapping yourself if you'd rather play solo.
    9. Lengthy attunement quests for raids reminiscent of the Onyxia's Lair chain.
    10. Heirloom gear is removed, replaced with purchasable BoA enchantment scrolls that increase experience gained when below a certain level once attached to gear.
    11. Profession specializations (such as tribal/elemental/dragonscale leatherworking) returned.
    12. Reinforcements removed from Alterac Valley and Warsong Gulch.
    13. Alterac Valley NPCs buffed, Korrak the Bloodrager and the Winterax trolls return to the Field of Strife.
    14. Dungeon Finder removed, replaced with the Looking For Group interface from patch 3.1.0. LookingForGroup channel is only accessible when using the feature but is once again global.
    15. LFR removed, replaced with the new Raid Browser. Raids have only two difficulty settings: One that starts at Flex(Normal in WoD) difficulty at the entrance and by the endboss is Normal(Heroic in WoD) difficulty, and a second that starts at Normal(Heroic) difficulty and by the endboss is Heroic(Mythic) difficulty.
    16. Number of flight points reduced.
    17. Portal to Pandaria in SW/Org removed, you now take a Zeppelin or Boat route to get there (like Northrend).
    18. Portals to old cities in Shattrath/Dalaran/Shrine removed, portals in cities to the Dark Portal in Blasted Lands and to Cata zones except for Deephome removed.
    19. Battlegrounds can once again only be queued for by talking to a Battlemaster.
    20. Justice/Valor and Honor/Conquest points can be sent between characters on the same account.
    21. Fishing once again requires fishing in areas of the correct level to gain experience.
    22. Mining nodes, leather, and herbs take twice as long to gather.
    23. During nighttime the world is much darker and ambient more how it was pre-BC.
    24. Certain spells and spell upgrades are no longer taught by trainers and must once again be learned from a tome.
    25. Buffs are returned to 30 minutes and group-wide buffs require reagents again. Paladin blessings once again last for only 5 minutes.

Deleted
    OP you could have just stated that you want Vanilla back.There was no need for that text.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted to say I support this. I'm no fan of the new laziness and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Why not give warlocks a curse that every spec would use for dps purposes and that grants a soul shard when the mob dies? It makes it much easier that way...
    Those are called burning embers and they're still part of the class. They just don't take up bag space any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

10+ Year Old Account
    *Also, don't take this list too seriously. It was all in good fun. Mostly a farce to show how much things have improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    I was about to rage at you, until I saw the underlined part :P Good one, mate!
    Thanks. It was meant in good humor, and though I do miss some of the things on this list from time to time, I know that is just my nostalgia. Gameplay is what I make it, and not what it used to be

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lycefli View Post
    - This. Please give us back the Elites blizzard I miss being able to solo them (often with difficulty!) on my hunter. LOL.
    If you play a class with a pet, you never really "solo" anything mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erathus View Post
    OP you could have just stated that you want Vanilla back.There was no need for that text.
    Or you could have read the entire post and responded with something different