Thread: Xp Flow

Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Xp Flow

    I'm a typical new player, still figuring out what class I want and exploring what I can. My only issue so far is the experience needed for leveling.

    This isn't a complaint on how long the leveling processes is, rather always being short a couple levels after each zone. I try to go for 100% in each area; complete all the hearts, escorts, elite kill events, gathering, and exploration. Problem is, even with all that, I'm always short on xp. I really don't want to go repeat a mission I just did, I shouldn't have to. I feel like I'm missing something here.

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    4,049
    There are multiple zones by level, you aren't restricted to your starting area. Most players only have 40-50% map completion by the time they hit 80. You can access other zones by going to Lion's Arch (the main portal hub city).

    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zone#Zones_by_level
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  3. #3
    Pit Lord barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    2,437
    Btw you can lvl up by getting crafting skills and gathering too :P!
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    4,049
    Also use xp food - Cinnamon Apples are great for new players, they cost like 5c and give 10% xp + 4% magic find.

    http://wiki.theamazonbasin.com/index...hment_Database
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  5. #5
    Oh cool, thanks!

  6. #6
    One is not supposed to be "at level" for any given zone. The game is majorly nonlinear and skill based. You even are rewarded more for taking on challenges above your current level.

    When you see a zone that says, "20-30" that is the range of monsters there. Not necessarily the range your character needs to be to get through.

    Again, non linear. Not bimodal.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    One is not supposed to be "at level" for any given zone. The game is majorly nonlinear and skill based. You even are rewarded more for taking on challenges above your current level.

    When you see a zone that says, "20-30" that is the range of monsters there. Not necessarily the range your character needs to be to get through.

    Again, non linear. Not bimodal.
    Well, that should be clarified a LITTLE bit.

    Level ranges do matter in the game to an extent. In fact, anything ~10 levels over you is effectively invincible to you. (They're immune to any conditions, take almost no damage from you, and do a ridiculously buffed amount of damage per hit, often to the point of one-shotting you several times over) Aggro ranges for mobs much higher level than you are also insanely large, sometimes to the point that you won't even see where a mob came from as it comes running at you. =D

    It's also typically very difficult to get credit for mob tags and events that are significantly above your level, again because it's difficult to do any damage to the mobs involved.

    Even mobs that are just a few levels above you are often much more effort than it's worth, and events that are much higher level than you will have their rewards scaled down anyway, such that you won't get a "zomg huge" amount of XP for doing a level 30 event at level 20.

    So yes, level DOES matter. Maybe not as much as in other MMOs, but it's clearly the intent of the designers to have you in level-appropriate areas, albeit with a little wiggle room.

  8. #8
    I do the following zones (to full zone completion) 1 by 1 in the order i have them here, every now and again taking a break to do some crafting, complete story missions or focus on gathering. You'll be 80 way before completing them all and will never be underlevelled.

    Cities : Black Citadel , Divinity's Reach , Hoelbrak , Rata Sum , The Grove , Lions Arch
    1-15: Queensdale (1-17),Metrica Province, Caledon Forest, Wayfarer Foothills, Plains of Ashford
    15-25: Kessex Hills, Brisban Wildlands, Snowden Drifts, Diessa Plateau
    25-35: Gendarran Fields, Lornar’s Pass (25-40),
    30-40: Fields of Ruin
    35-45: Harathi Hinterlandsm
    40-50: Dredgehaunt Cliffs, Blazeridge Steppes
    45-55: Bloodtide Coast
    50-60: Timberline Falls, Iron Marches
    55-65: Sparkfly Fen
    60-70: Mount Maelstrom, Fireheart Rise(E)
    70-80: Straits of Devastation (70-75), Frostgorge Sound (70-80), Malchor’s Leap (75-80)(E)

    If your comfortable with your proff, once you hit 60 you can stop were your up to and go staright to the 60+ zones - completing each of these rewards you with random exotics that can give you a generous gold boost.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, that should be clarified a LITTLE bit.
    I do not believe it is necessary or important to my post & design of the game. I chose my wording carefully.

  10. #10
    Especially to someone new to the game, your post would seem to suggest something that would not be reflected in actual gameplay.

    Being extremely precise to the point of seeming cryptic to onlookers would be fine for discussing design with other people interested solely in design, but completely useless at best - and misleading at worst - to a typical new player just looking for information.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Especially to someone new to the game, your post would seem to suggest something that would not be reflected in actual gameplay.

    Being extremely precise to the point of seeming cryptic to onlookers would be fine for discussing design with other people interested solely in design, but completely useless at best - and misleading at worst - to a typical new player just looking for information.
    I disagree. The post is accurate. Leaps in logic and assumption are personal.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I disagree. The post is accurate. Leaps in logic and assumption are personal.
    Actually it's totally inaccurate, the level of monsters in the zone does not always fall within the level range listed. The level range is based on character level that the zone is aimed at. The events/ hearts are linear in that same leveling pattern. Engaging enemies slightly above your level is slightly more rewarding, but there is a hard limit, as BovDiv pointed out, where skill has no bearing on your near inability to affect a monster that will kill you in one shot.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Actually it's totally inaccurate, the level of monsters in the zone does not always fall within the level range listed. The level range is based on character level that the zone is aimed at. The events/ hearts are linear in that same leveling pattern. Engaging enemies slightly above your level is slightly more rewarding, but there is a hard limit, as BovDiv pointed out, where skill has no bearing on your near inability to affect a monster that will kill you in one shot.
    "Not necessarily the range your character needs to be to get through."

    You are rewarded more for taking on tougher mobs than your level. A hard cap is mostly irrelevant to that point as it does happen. There is even a tooltip to confirm it as such.

    The degree is not important. That is a divergence I feel unnecessary and lowly.

  14. #14
    I think the important point for someone new(ish) to the game to remember is you can always go back and do things lower level (you get leveled down to it so you still get decent xp but it will be much easier than doing those activities at level) and you can tackle things slightly higher level. Too many levels ahead and you might just find yourself running for your life Which of course is common in most MMOs.

    The other thing I don't think anyone has mentioned (if you did and I missed it sorry for being a blind corgi) there are some activities which are level 80 activities but you will get leveled up to be able to participate. WvW and a lot of the Living Story things are the easiest examples. You will find you are a bit squishy and don't do as much damage as you would at lvl 80, but these things can be fun ways to get some extra xp/change up the sometimes tedious task of zone clearing

  15. #15
    Pandaren Monk Phookah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zebes, SR-21
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I disagree. The post is accurate. Leaps in logic and assumption are personal.
    Sitting and arguing about semantics makes you look silly. Just because you thought your post was concise doesn't mean it was.
    Want proof? 3 people already pointed this out to you, I'm a new player as well and what I took away from your post was what was inferred by the other posters.

  16. #16
    Scarab Lord Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    4,049
    Another thing you can do to grab some levels is jump into PvP - right now there is a glory promotion happening and 1500 glory will grant a level (get the Tome from the glory vendor). Just go to Heart of the Mists (crossed sword icon) where you are boosted to 80 with free access to all the stats, runes, sigils, all your traits, skills and weapons. Everyone is on equal footing gear-wise. Hot join is good for beginners and it's a great place to see how different classes play at max level.

    You can also level in WvW but even though you are boosted to 80 there also, you won't have all your skills and traits unlocked - probably best to stick with any karma trains running at the end of the week.
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Another thing you can do to grab some levels is jump into PvP - right now there is a glory promotion happening and 1500 glory will grant a level (get the Tome from the glory vendor). Just go to Heart of the Mists (crossed sword icon) where you are boosted to 80 with free access to all the stats, runes, sigils, all your traits, skills and weapons. Everyone is on equal footing gear-wise. Hot join is good for beginners and it's a great place to see how different classes play at max level.
    Well that's a neat addition, actually.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Actually it's totally inaccurate, the level of monsters in the zone does not always fall within the level range listed. The level range is based on character level that the zone is aimed at. The events/ hearts are linear in that same leveling pattern. Engaging enemies slightly above your level is slightly more rewarding, but there is a hard limit, as BovDiv pointed out, where skill has no bearing on your near inability to affect a monster that will kill you in one shot.
    Don't you know, Fencers is always right...no matter what. To argue with her about anything video game related is literally a waste of time and energy. Because if she is wrong, she merely changes the subject or goes so far into it, that most people lose interest in her semantics and just give up.

    And I agree. I've played this game more hours than I care to count and done every kind of content it has to offer from lvl 1 to 80. And the way she said it, I do not agree with.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2013-12-24 at 09:22 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I think the important point for someone new(ish) to the game to remember is you can always go back and do things lower level (you get leveled down to it so you still get decent xp but it will be much easier than doing those activities at level) and you can tackle things slightly higher level. Too many levels ahead and you might just find yourself running for your life Which of course is common in most MMOs.
    One of my earliest MMO memories is heading north from Ashenvale on my little night elf. You cross an invisible line, and "Felwood" appears and suddenly a wolf ate me.

    Amusingly, in some places, GW2 does have NPC's that go "hey, no, this area is tough, you may want to wait until you're more powerful!".

    For leveling, I think the most important thing to remember is that you get XP for everything. Exploring, combat, gathering, crafting, nearly everything gives xp.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Sitting and arguing about semantics makes you look silly. Just because you thought your post was concise doesn't mean it was.
    Want proof? 3 people already pointed this out to you, I'm a new player as well and what I took away from your post was what was inferred by the other posters.
    That is not an argument of semantics. I hope you actually know what semantics are before using the term as an offense, natch. Becasue it is not applicable above. Beyond that, semantics are actually quite important to the discussion of arts and their categorization.

    And of course, the design of the game is observable. It is an issue of perception that one has the notion of being "under level" in GW2. As the design is majorly non linear, skill based w/ a fairly free system of travel across zones horizontally.

    That is again, a perception issue. The specifics of a level 20 ogre in a level 12 area is not anymore important to the design than the specifics of longbows.

    I would [and did] say the best advice to a new player [I don't necessarily believe in "helping" such players, btw] is abandonment of certain modes of thought w/r/t character level and linear progression within a mainstream MMORPG.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-25 at 05:49 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •