1. #1
    Brewmaster AutomaticBadger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,421

    [Suggestion] Fire Mage Change

    I've loved Fire and always will. I liked the randomness of it and how at times you can putter along but on the flip side you burn that target so hard its processor melts along with it. That being said the one thing that has left a rather sour taste in my mouth is Combustion. The first incarnation of a massive crit buff was alright and I think the change to a DoT was a helpful change but I'm thinking it may need a slight tweak.

    What if rather than creating a DoT that changes in power depending on how well your Ignite and Pyro are ticking, rather change it to a buff. When activated all damage over the next 5 seconds, random thumb sucked number, is also converted to a DoT on the target that still can then be spread using Inferno Blast. The goal here being to keep the feel of burning your opponent but to remove some of the Ignite munching issues and remove some of the massive variance between a good Combustion and a bad one. The damage should be about 75% of a great Combustion.

    This should still separate a good player from a bad one since the best option would be to link all cooldowns, Alter Time and a Pyro so you get the most out of the window period. A bad player would simply use it on cooldown and be less effective.

    Thoughts?
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

  2. #2
    High Overlord Henzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    Unless I missed something they haven't addressed ignite munching at all. They have said something about making openers less important but yeah I am not holding my breath on that.
    Last edited by Henzington; 2013-12-24 at 09:38 AM.

  3. #3
    It's my understanding, ignite munching has been more or less a thing of the past.

    http://www.wowdb.com/spells/12654-ignite

    http://www.icy-veins.com/fire-mage-w...lities#sec-4-2

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    I've loved Fire and always will. I liked the randomness of it and how at times you can putter along but on the flip side you burn that target so hard its processor melts along with it. That being said the one thing that has left a rather sour taste in my mouth is Combustion. The first incarnation of a massive crit buff was alright and I think the change to a DoT was a helpful change but I'm thinking it may need a slight tweak.

    What if rather than creating a DoT that changes in power depending on how well your Ignite and Pyro are ticking, rather change it to a buff. When activated all damage over the next 5 seconds, random thumb sucked number, is also converted to a DoT on the target that still can then be spread using Inferno Blast. The goal here being to keep the feel of burning your opponent but to remove some of the Ignite munching issues and remove some of the massive variance between a good Combustion and a bad one. The damage should be about 75% of a great Combustion.

    This should still separate a good player from a bad one since the best option would be to link all cooldowns, Alter Time and a Pyro so you get the most out of the window period. A bad player would simply use it on cooldown and be less effective.

    Thoughts?
    I like combustion and the reward of being a good player getting much more out of cd's. They nerfed combustion by 60% already so I am hoping they leave it alone myself, or buff it.It is interesting raiding 25man and having trial fire mages come in and because of just a few things do very bad but you also get the rare good fire mage who beats better geared players because he knows his class. I love the reward for playing well.

  5. #5
    Brewmaster AutomaticBadger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by unholyness View Post
    I like combustion and the reward of being a good player getting much more out of cd's. They nerfed combustion by 60% already so I am hoping they leave it alone myself, or buff it.It is interesting raiding 25man and having trial fire mages come in and because of just a few things do very bad but you also get the rare good fire mage who beats better geared players because he knows his class. I love the reward for playing well.
    I agree that it is always nice to see a good players Combustion verses a bad ones but this should ease the curve between amazing ones and 1 second too late one.

    Out of curiosity what would stop this from separating a good players Combustion verses a bad ones?
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

  6. #6
    Moderator LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,346
    Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    I agree that it is always nice to see a good players Combustion verses a bad ones but this should ease the curve between amazing ones and 1 second too late one.

    Out of curiosity what would stop this from separating a good players Combustion verses a bad ones?
    The only difference is knowing how to line up stuff for it, and probably will always be like that. Good players can still get screwed either way by shitty RNG.

  7. #7
    After everything they have said and all the time's it got nerfed is anyone in any doubt whatsoever Combustion is likely up for another redesign?

  8. #8
    that wouldnt be op at all.

  9. #9
    To me cumbustion should be something like Icy Veins is glyphed, could even be things like: increases the % of your fireball/pyro that turns into ignite

  10. #10
    Brewmaster AutomaticBadger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    that wouldnt be op at all.
    How? If you tweak the percent transfer then it wouldn't really. As it stands now it is dispelable, I think, so it being strong because of a lucky streak in pvp isn't an issue. As it stands now when your trinkets align it is op anyway.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    How? If you tweak the percent transfer then it wouldn't really. As it stands now it is dispelable, I think, so it being strong because of a lucky streak in pvp isn't an issue. As it stands now when your trinkets align it is op anyway.
    boss damage debuffs would make this kind of combustion monstrous and unbalanced, and a buff in pvp is harder to dispel than a debuff.

  12. #12
    Brewmaster AutomaticBadger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    boss damage debuffs would make this kind of combustion monstrous and unbalanced, and a buff in pvp is harder to dispel than a debuff.
    It causes a debuff that can then be dispelled. Still not seeing the massive amount given it currently is increased by raid buffs.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire Deithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    480
    Fire ... that thing revolving around good rng to be good... i ... dont even know why people like it so much. I played only once fire spec - during ToT.
    God! this was so stresfull tier for me as fire mage... The RNG ... :X ... the horror if you dont get the procs in the right time and not managing to react to them in the right time for the most common thing - boss targeting you with shitrain. You end up hitting the "floor" of Recount. Yet again if the RNG bosses are mercyfull you just... well... skyrocket and noone can reach you. It is fun spec i must admit, but if you play it for fun. If you push yourself to progress just one simple mistake can be so unforgiving that... i dont even have words for it. If all your gameplay revolves around a "good" Combustion And because of how Combustion works and that reason of how "one simple mistake" work too many people want a rework of fire spec.
    From my PoV lining procs, cooldowns and etc to do your OPness is way to stressfull because if you fail, it is done with lightnings and thunders . Arcane and frost dont have that and more people tend to like them more and more - they are more forgiving. This is what i think

    Just my 2 cents
    Someone once told me not to bite off more than i can chew. I said i would rather choke on Greatness than nibble on Mediocrity.

  14. #14
    Dreadlord nimryas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    808
    I don't think a single spellchange like this cannot change fire as a spec in a good way. It will still be highly dependend upon critical strike and therefore RNG. It will still be underpowered at the start of every expansion and very overpowered and therefore (probably) nerfed at the end of an expansion. I feel fire needs another sort of resource that helps us change/alter excisting spells to be either more powerful or change what the spell does. This way the spec can be more dynamic instead of rng based and pretty boring..

    I think combustion can stay as part of the mage rotation but it shouldnt have much emphasize on it's use as it was the case in the first couple of patches. No spec should ever revolve around just one spell.

    Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •