Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Hey, there! Quick question: Will my orcs finally be able to have full heads of hair like Grom and Thrall do in WoD?
    We see Huge RP value in hero hairstyles, ongoing discussions on which to include/how to roll them out. (Source)

We will see, someday, brown orcs for players?
    We love the idea of "alt" skins to unlock - Mag'har orcs, dark iron dwarves, etc. - but not a high-priority feature. (Source)
    Lot of questions about this - would be a cool option but no concrete plans. It's on the wishlist now. (Source)
    All I can think of is, "Coming soon to the in-game store..."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    Problem is we're already seeing the "one face" on the new models (pandaren female, worgen female, and gnome female). I saw a lot more distinction in pandaren male, gnome male and dwarf male. The problem seems to be not one of JUST geometry but the fact that Blizzard seems afraid to add too much detail to female faces atm, because they don't want to make them "ugly" or unpopular.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they also only shown "one face" for the models so far, period? We haven't seen the other facial textures yet.

There's two issues with the faces here. First, due to the more sophisticated rigging, the faces need to look a bit more neutral by default. You can't rig up a face with a permanent scowl and angry eyebrows and expect it to play nicely with all the new animations, which are really emotive. You can alter the textures, but that could potential cause odd effects where the texture doesn't match the animation (IE scowling texture with a smiling face) which could look weird.

One thing they might consider is allowing animations with neutral facial expressions (stand, walk, run, etc.) to have different animation rigging depending on the face, to create characters that have different 'default' expressions. That way they'll still look happy when they laugh, for example, even if their default look is a scowl.

Edit: Actually, that would be a really cool thing they could just add as an option to the character pane. Selectable facial expressions. Every model could have four or five different default expressions for their neutral animations, and the players could use them at will. Would be a great addition for RP!

"Early next year" for Blizzard means the reveals will happen in March, Beta starts next May, WoD in Nov/Dec.

Awesome my tweet to robinson is there

I love how people are complaining about the fact we're even getting a chance at tons of expanded customization when as I far as we knew all we were getting was an updated version of the current models. But it's always got to be seen int he worst context possible by someone, as per the laws of physics dictate.

Robinson also said a bit more about orc backs they neglected to show, upright orc backs are "on the wishlist". Can't wait to see what we have visible to preview 3 months from now.

Also, hero based RP hairstyles like Thrall and Grom!?!?!?! Bigger beards! Awesssssome. Illidan's hairstyle too I hope, and black hair for elves. And a new updated model for Furion,... and ten million other things,...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge78 View Post
    "Early next year" for Blizzard means the reveals will happen in March, Beta starts next May, WoD in Nov/Dec.
    Not if the rate of patch releases for MOP was any precedent. But keep on perpetuating the same old canards, they are as comforting as carols at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    When you wear robes, you tuck the tabard in, you don't let it hang. People need to stop asking for such an ugly looking thing.
    it's rare for blizzard to nail a new feature 100%. Wait it's not even a new feature, it's gardening 2.0

they change things for the sake of changing and then go back on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait to see Human and Draenei models.

ATTN Boub or whoever compiles the tweets:

I love seeing the different developer's viewpoints as a replacement for GC, but could you guys somehow distinguish between the authors? I found myself reading some of them then looking at who wrote it and reading it again since they seem to be organized by topic rather than author. I realize sometimes two devs are sometimes part of the same conversation but labels by who wrote it or maybe different colors or something would help.

They should fix the weapon size on female belves and draeneis

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heldamon View Post
    Just fixing the shoulder armor would be good enough for me.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deusfox View Post
    Agreed 100%. It sounds like so far the bare minimum is being done (literally just updating the current faces/hairstyles etc) and nothing more. Which is a shame as so much more should go through this re-design, which people seem to have thought of, and Blizzard are only reacting to this. Like youre working on new player skeletons but hadn't thought to update the 8 year old dead player skeleton, really?
    Sounds like you'd favour a "let's fix EVERYTHING AT ONCE" approach, even if it means it would take them 12 years to complete such an overhaul.

Luckily for us, you are not in charge of development strategy at Blizz.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they also only shown "one face" for the models so far, period? We haven't seen the other facial textures yet.
    Officially? No. However, in some of the demos Blizz has shown (and some of the player demos leaked from Blizzcon) we've seen at least four or five of the faces for each of the displayed races (male orc, gnome, and dwarf). Granted we've only seen one of the female gnome faces, but it doesn't match any of the faces we've got in game right now, and from the tweets it seems that their current focus is "get current faces out first, then fill out with more options later".

There's two issues with the faces here. First, due to the more sophisticated rigging, the faces need to look a bit more neutral by default. You can't rig up a face with a permanent scowl and angry eyebrows and expect it to play nicely with all the new animations, which are really emotive. You can alter the textures, but that could potential cause odd effects where the texture doesn't match the animation (IE scowling texture with a smiling face) which could look weird.

One thing they might consider is allowing animations with neutral facial expressions (stand, walk, run, etc.) to have different animation rigging depending on the face, to create characters that have different 'default' expressions. That way they'll still look happy when they laugh, for example, even if their default look is a scowl.

Edit: Actually, that would be a really cool thing they could just add as an option to the character pane. Selectable facial expressions. Every model could have four or five different default expressions for their neutral animations, and the players could use them at will. Would be a great addition for RP!
    Trust me, I get all that. The problem is... they're not. Female gnome's idle face is far from neutral, and that's the main problem. She's got this goofy grin on her face which, while cute, completely goes contrary to a few of the current faces we have which look stern or neutral. Same issue with female pandaren being given the perma-grin, and female worgen the perma-snarl. I 100% agree that neutral idle expressions are best, but Blizzard isn't going that route, and that's a problem when the current face options for the races run the gamut of emotions from cheerful to wizened to stern to downright angry.

I'd love to be able to set a "mood" emote that would stick until I changed it, as it would solve a lot of the problems I have with the newer models. Unfortunately, that might be too much work for Blizzard to implement, and I think the best we can hope for is "That sounds cool and we'd like to do it if we get time!" Like a lot of cool ideas that we'll probably never see.

Sig by Isilrien

10+ Year Old Account
    If it took them 12 years, they should go into another line of business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    It wasn't the skeletons that crashed the server it was the thousands of players with all their equipment and other graphics and stats on one spot. When they left and the island looked like this
    I don't recall there being an exorbitantly high number of players in the actual area attacking Oondasta (far less than 'a thousand,' that's for sure.) But I certainly do recall the server up and breaking after wiping a good ten times.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Facial hair for Trolls? Please... please!?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    "Will we be getting more faces for any races in Warlords? Tauren females have only 4 options, human females have 16.
    Noted! no promises but I would like to even those counts out. (Source)"

This makes me so happy I can't even.
    Female pandaren have like 22 "faces" all of which look exactly the same, i don't think the sheer number is the problem here.
    I'd rather have 5 distinguishable faces than 20 variants of the same face with different markings/wrinkles.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the same idea after reading his response and even asked Chris Robinson about it, he said it's not exactly how they are going about it and it's hard to explain through Twitter.

Last edited by mmoc2cfe61b4f1; 2013-12-25 at 02:26 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Female pandaren have like 22 "faces" all of which look exactly the same, i don't think the sheer number is the problem here.
    I'd rather have 5 distinguishable faces than 20 variants of the same face with different markings/wrinkles.
    Haha, might want to read what I said directly above what you quoted... :P

Sig by Isilrien

Quote Originally Posted by Stoical View Post
    ATTN Boub or whoever compiles the tweets:

I love seeing the different developer's viewpoints as a replacement for GC, but could you guys somehow distinguish between the authors? I found myself reading some of them then looking at who wrote it and reading it again since they seem to be organized by topic rather than author. I realize sometimes two devs are sometimes part of the same conversation but labels by who wrote it or maybe different colors or something would help.
    This. I am on the hunt for a new developer to hate. There must always be a dev king.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    This. I am on the hunt for a new developer to hate. There must always be a dev king.
    "For they are not the developer the community deserves, but the developer the community needs."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for the new models, I like this dude. He seems down to earth.

I personally want to see the updated Night Elves and Humans even though I'm mainly Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Heldamon View Post
    You mean fix the weapon size on Human Females? Daggers look like 1H swords, 1H swords look like 2H swords, and 2H swords look like "wtf?", if it just stayed the same size when they unsheathed it, it would look fine. For some odd reason when the Human Females unsheathe their weapons they magically grow.

But I think Draenei/Blood Elf weapons look more accurate.
    Last edited by Agoonga; 2013-12-25 at 08:25 AM.

I... actually really like who answered the Twitter questions today. Upbeat, fun and took in suggestions willingly to see what's up.