Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Funny thing about human nature. Some people have a short fuse and a foul mouth. We can't all love Jesus with a 10 foot stick in our ass. Sometimes, we just let it go. But, we always have some nose in the air, goody fucking two shoes to tattle on us and snap us back in line. Maybe instead of offering advice to those who do no seek such counsel, you might just add them to ignore and not comment at all. Just a thought.
    You must be a blast to take to the bar.

10+ Year Old Account
    for a second I thought you had the addon jerk script. It strings together random offensive words and the state ment usually is toward yourself. For good lols try it out. Ive been warned a few times never banned for it so beware. Blizzard is really slack on banning so tread lightly.

@ Annoying. Same thing I was thinking
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

They sometimes ban people for the most silly stuff, I once asked someone politely to go get hit by a bus because he was constantly griefing me and instead of punishing the griefer they banned me for 3 hours because apparently I threatened him irl when I asked him that. So I can imagine them eventually banning someone if the incidents (however small they may be) pile up.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I SOMETIMES am one of those "silly conservative tree huggers".

Look I don't mind the occasional F this or F that. It happens and sometimes we need to vent. But when EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE is F this or Racial that, then I WILL report you, period. Say what you want in your groups or in the Guild you own, thats fine. It's YOUR group/guild and your rules. /I and Trade is Blizz's group and their rules and are there for general information purposes/trading and frankly I dont particularly care to hear it every other word (even though I use them myself sometimes). Theres in a HUGE difference in venting and having a crappy vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by vrsick View Post
    You deserve whatever you get. Why say things like that? You don't sound like a good person.
    That's what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I came back to WoW about two months ago and started to enjoy the Timeless Isle. I noticed that it seemed to be somewhat of a free-for-all in General Chat with people saying some of the most misogynistic, homophobic, racist, transphobic crap I've ever seen in a video game. After about a month, I started in on the conversation myself.

Yesterday I received a warning for something I said on 12/11/2013. What's even funnier is it got tagged as Harassment toward another player even though it was a critique of a pop star and a terribly annoying song of hers directed at no one in General Chat. <snip>

Since then, I've said worse. Even if behavior is changed and I just leave general chat altogether, am I going to get a flood of these emails from 12/11/2013 - 12/23/2013 for a number of other infractions that will lead to a perma-ban?

Oh well, at least on my last time spent in Azeroth I will spend all my time policing Timeless Isle general chat.
    There is a general acceptance of behavior on chat. If you piss off the wrong person, they will report you. Now you have to answer for your indiscretions. I was banned from WoW forums, for simply quoting (didn't do anything OTHER than copy and paste) and adding one word, time. Don't remember the exact circumstance but basically they didn't overturn didn't care to hear an explanation, just banned me.. it was my third strike.. in 3 years.. so they seem to hold a grudge. The original poster had used ##$% to replace a bad word and I was cited for using profanity.. go figure...

My point is it depends on the moderator,they have WAY too much control. I agree with you, people drop cuss words, and say crazy stuff on chat and I am asking where are the moderators now? the moment I contribute I get in trouble not them.. it's wholly unfair, but it seems to have no central authority or appeal process.

I know a few managers at Blizzard, and they basically don't care. They say its a game, and that you are accountable for YOUR behavior and don't let others dictate what YOU do, is their basic premise. If there are 100 moderators, there are MILLIONS of players, they can't catch them all.

Best advice just deal with it.. whatever happens happens, but if I see that behavior like you saw in timeless isle.. and believe me.. I see it *EVERY* day.. it's disgusting not for me, but for new players.. I usually report it.. however I am playing I don't have time to sit there and log a ticket EVERY time I see it so I miss a lot, and most times I could care less.

If Blizzard doesn't care, why should I?

There is this thing on chat it's called "mature filter". blizzard is basically getting tired of hearing about "chat" complaints, you have a problem turn your mature filter on is what they will say.. until you get that goody two shoes that wants to make a name for himself by banning your account.. well then all bets are off.

good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    No, you don't get banned for ridiculous things like that.
    Uh yes.. yes you do.. maybe it's not GENERALLY what gets you banned, but believe me I have seen accounts get banned for the DUMBEST of things, even when they PROVED their case, once they ban.. they don't "un"ban.. you will get still get kicked for 24 hours..

I remember some guy whispered me in response.. mind you PRIVATE chat. I said something like "Hey you need to change your attitude, there are kids on this channel", on general.

He basically told me to mind my own business. and I was about at the end of my rope that day anyway, so I told him to FUCK off, leave me the hell alone. Mind your own business and stop private chat me. I didn't solicit a response.

So he reports me, again mind you PRIVATE chat..

A GM comes on about 30 minutes later and reviews what I said, and I said.. umm.. HELLO?!? PRIVATE chat, He whispered ME!!!! Did you even bother to READ what he wrote in public chat?

The GM was a youngster (I assume) because he was flustered at my tone and basically told me that I needed to calm down and have more respect.. and I said you are chatting with ME instead of HIM, he needs to be kicked or punished not me.

GM said it's MY job to determine who is at fault. Have a nice day.

2 minutes later I was dropped. I immediately called Blizzard demanded to speak to a manager which I did.. and they said there is nothing they can do, Ban's HAVE to remain active for 24 hours and they are automatically under review.

24 hours later, almost to the minute my account was active, and I could play.

To say I was "pissed" is an understatement to this DAY I get agitated just thinking about. I know the poster in General made fun of women and used a LOT of gender offensive words.. yet he reports ME for tell him to FUCK off.. in PRIVATE chat.

So.. is that fair? I don't think so, but I won't make comments to anyone in private any more...
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-12-24 at 10:22 PM.

Deleted
    People have only got temporary bans for much worse, as in I won't repeat on here, but pretty grotesque.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been banned for 3 days for discussing the economic policies of Sweden towards the Third Reich in WW2.

I pissed myself laughing when I got the email.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    Been banned for 3 days for discussing the economic policies of Sweden towards the Third Reich in WW2.

I am guessing that person that banned you wasn't exactly "german"

Quote Originally Posted by Shokat View Post
    I hope you get a permanent ban. Tired of all these players acting like stupid children.
    ^

This is my general answer to any thread about "I got a warning/ban because I said X word".

Also, to people saying "some people have short-fuse": try to think of suspension/bans as a therapy. Let's see how many sessions you need to reconsider your behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post

Talking about that on WoW is like asking for trouble.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Yeah, I get the One Incident = One Warning, but that incident I got the warning occurred 13 days and I'm sure I've said plenty of stuff that is warning worthy in those 13 days on the Timeless Isle. With the volcano of warning/suspension thingy, if I get reported, say for 5 other incidents in those 13 days before they warned me, would they still perma-ban?

Edit: and honestly, I don't really care if they do perma-ban me. I will just read which will probably be more rewarding than playing WoW, lol.
    Anything before the warning counts as 1 incident, unless you went on a serious offensive douchebag spree. In which case you deserve it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    I've played WoW since the begining of 2005, a few months after Launch.

Since then I have said just about every foul/bad word you could imagine many 1000's of times each all as Verbs, Nouns and Adjectives.

I've been temp-banned only once for 72hours.

This was for making a Bald black Character and gathering with so many others in the Elwynn forest Watermelon farm that we crashed the Server.

I doubt you will get banned, let alone suspended.
    Lol that is awesome.

There's a clear difference between saying something dirty/offensive/profane/etc. in the name of humor, (i.e. not pointed at anything or anyone specific) and saying something dirty/offensive/profane toward someone. It's usually the latter that causes trouble, unless you're just obnoxiously spamming the former.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rjparker1 View Post
    ...I told him to FUCK off, leave me the hell alone..
    And the rules clearly say no profanity. I see nothing wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    And the rules clearly say no profanity. I see nothing wrong here.
    Not to sound like "that guy" with this... But the profanity filter is on by default. The ONLY reason anyone would have to turn it off is because they WANT to see any profanity that may or may not pop up. There is no other reason that anyone would turn it on. Thus, being offended by seeing profanity when you've taken the steps to see said profanity...

I'm not suggesting it's okay to tell people to fuck off in game or anywhere... But unchecking the profanity filter is saying "I want to see profanity."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrstance View Post
    Not to sound like "that guy" with this... But the profanity filter is on by default. The ONLY reason anyone would have to turn it off is because they WANT to see any profanity that may or may not pop up. There is no other reason that anyone would turn it on. Thus, being offended by seeing profanity when you've taken the steps to see said profanity...

I'm not suggesting it's okay to tell people to fuck off in game or anywhere... But unchecking the profanity filter is saying "I want to see profanity."
    Except the profanity filter is not an excuse to use said profanity.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I was not providing counsel, I was responding to a direct assessment. You might learn what these things are before attempting to sound like you do.
    "you might just add them to ignore and not comment at all" There you go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    "you might just add them to ignore and not comment at all" There you go.
    The ignore feature doesn't suddenly make problems go away. As good as the feature is.

Warrior-Magi

and started to enjoy the Timeless Isle
    Well, this alone should be enough.