Thread: LFR trolling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    ^ +1, good analogy

- - - Updated - - -

To the people recommending ignore, I've tried that. If not on my realm, it says, "player not found". Is there a workaround?

Quote Originally Posted by Gromok View Post
    I haven't done any LFR in quite a while. I pop in one today just out of boredom and there is a massive troll in there. So I make a few comments like, "dude relax, your dps is not impressive" and "can you stop being so vulgar?" and such to shut him up. I get 4-5 ppl from the group on my case calling me a "whiny bitch".

This is what ruins the game. This is why LFR is a circlejerk of horribleness. It is the dregs of the wow community that are given free reign, and then applauded for their bad behavior.

It's difficult for me to see immature trolling in /i and not speak up. Should I just be avoiding LFR altogether?
    It is not LFR. It is anonymity and zero accountability for bad behaviour that allows for this. LFR, forums etc. I see these in trade chats too. Troll replies to serious questions from other players asking for opinions or advice or just stupid a**l [insert your skill here]. And people wonder why players are hostile to random offers for help.

These could be very ordinary people you meet everyday but on the net, they become complete dbags. Consider the internet as the medium that allows your true inner self to reveal itself.

I think White Knights are just as bad as trolls. Trolling is like a symbiotic relationship, it needs the white knight to survive and the white knight needs the troll. Just zone in, do your role and leave if you don't like the people.

I haven't done any LFR in quite a while. I pop in one today just out of boredom and there is a massive troll in there. So I make a few comments like, "dude relax, your dps is not impressive" and "can you stop being so vulgar?" and such to shut him up. I get 4-5 ppl from the group on my case calling me a "whiny bitch".

This is what ruins the game. This is why LFR is a circlejerk of horribleness. It is the dregs of the wow community that are given free reign, and then applauded for their bad behavior.

It's difficult for me to see immature trolling in /i and not speak up. Should I just be avoiding LFR altogether?
    You didn't say what the other guy said, but given your reply to the remarks I would say that he was boasting about his DPS and probably used a few expletives.. yeah you are a whiny bitch, why even comment at all? Like you said.. you haven't done LFR in quite a while, so people are USED to those comments. You come in and start making innocent remarks and it sounds like whining..

It's hard to side with you when you didn't give us ALL the information...

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't feed trolls.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I never understood what the appeal is to being a troll. Why does being a troll even entertain them? I think its just juvenile, which is why I almost always have trade and general chat turned off
    You sound like one of those left wing nuts that wants to quash free speech or ban classic books from public libraries.. it's CALLED free speech for a reason, you don't like it change the channel. It's not being a troll, it's being a kid. Did we all forget that many of the players are most likely under the age of 14??!?

Its not an adult game, so why even pretend that these people should ACT like adults.

It's more about how they act ALL the time as well, these are students, today's technology they can share instantly and it's more of representation of how they act in school.. it's not just WoW. The sooner you realize that, the easier it is to understand.

#2 rule of social behavior.. don't let them get to you. take it in stride. roll with the punches.. whatever the euphemism du jour is..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglytoes View Post
    I think White Knights are just as bad as trolls.
    Let's make one thing clear; trolls are degenerates and Blizzard allowing people to act in any way they desire is not beneficial for anyone.

They should start taking a hard line; if you troll and cause havoc in LFR; your rights to use the system is revoked after three strikes. You shouldn't be able to queue ever again on your account and if you continue that behaviour elsewhere, it's permanent ban without patting on the head, no more "7 bans to get permanent ban" nonsense, three strikes and you're out for good.

The only way you can teach people to behave is to make the sanctions so harsh that they simply won't even try to slip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rjparker1 View Post
    Did we all forget that many of the players are most likely under the age of 14??!?

Its not an adult game, so why even pretend that these people should ACT like adults.
    Actually the average age of a WoW (or MMO player in general) is way over 20, something you could have checked from Google in 30 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rjparker1 View Post
    it's CALLED free speech for a reason
    There is no 'Free speech' in a private service, you should learn to understand what you're talking about before you do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I never understood what the appeal is to being a troll. Why does being a troll even entertain them? I think its just juvenile, which is why I almost always have trade and general chat turned off
    They're sociopaths basically, the internet has just made it more noticeable.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

As annoying as it is, and with LFR being what it is. It would be just best to not say anything. There is a large amount of people who are helldriven to destroy LFR, and it appears as though it is working. You do have one amazing alternative, and that is trying to find a guild that runs flex. It will be a vast improvement. Flex pugs could be just as bad, and often times they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blockygame View Post
    They're sociopaths basically, the internet has just made it more noticeable.
    I wouldn't call them sociopaths. They would probably be in jail if they were, or doing some other worthwhile shenanigans. Negative attentions seekers. Remember that from being a kid lol. That's what these guys are. The more attention you give them when they troll. The more they feed of it. Best to just leave it be, and when he digs himself a hole. There will be no second thought when the kick window pops up.

Their raid, their rules. Q up, keep your mouth shut. Best advice I can give. You knew what you were getting into...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    Sometimes I get envious ...

All these people claiming to meet trolls in lfr every day every time etc.. and I still haven't met one...

God I am soooo envious.

IT : LFR/LFD is perfectly fine, jerks have been jerks in classic and everquest too.
    Or you just never notice one :P Some trolls out there are serious pro's at trolling lol

I tend to troll LFR as well because there's literally nothing else to do, except I don't troll as in using foul language or ninja pulling or anything like that. I put down a portal to the dalaran crater ontop of tables, soulwells etc so people click on them and get ported out of LFR. It's cruel and some people have missed loot because of it, but LFR is soooooo boring, the only good thing about it is the loot.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ^ +1, good analogy

- - - Updated - - -

To the people recommending ignore, I've tried that. If not on my realm, it says, "player not found". Is there a workaround?
    make sure you get the format correct

it should be like this: /ignore Exactplayername-Servername

edit:

also, i am almost entirely positive that, if you ignore someone, you will never be grouped with them again.

Any time you encounter someone getting all worked up over something that isn't very important just imagine how sad and pathetic their lifes must be.

Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    Any time you encounter someone getting all worked up over something that isn't very important just imagine how sad and pathetic their lifes must be.
    I see what you did there! Good one

Welcome to the internet is all I can say. Not sure why you think it only applies to LFR, I see it everywhere in WoW. Everywhere online, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternategray View Post
    Aaaand this is why they should never have begun catering to children*. I get that your comment was mostly a joke (and this comment isn't aimed at you at all), but it's the perfect example of what I mean. For all the middle school kids and the high school kids (and the college kids who never left the grade-school mentality behind), LFR isn't a game mechanic. It's a school bus. It's a classroom where the teacher's stepped out and they can act like an asshat for all the attention they'd ever want, and the adults can't make them be quiet. Where you can run your mouth all you want without getting slammed against a wall, knocked on your ass or put in your place. It's a paradise for asshole-ish kids and socially retarded semi-adults. They're not playing an MMO to work with others or because they like being in a team. They play it because it's a "safe" place for them to try to increase their status or be what they think of as popular. WoW's gone from being a team-based game for gamers (regardless of age) to being some sort of bizarre playground for adolescents of all ages who just want to act childish to others without any consequence. To them it's just another internet forum, but instead of being ignored they can demand people's attention by disrupting the run.

And I feel the need to add: as much as Blizzard (or any other company) likes money, they need to figure out which group they want to cater to: the gamers, or the toxic, childish forum-trolls. They've been trying to play both sides, by making things easier and easier and refusing to police their game (and refusing to take a hard stance on shitty behavior), but it's going to bite them in the ass in the long run. The first WoW clone that comes along that can minimize childish behavior and the number of assholes in-game, I'm gone. Over seven years of history vs. not having to be a virtual babysitter for some asshole's asshole kids (whether they're grown or not): no contest.

*That may not be entirely fair; they dumbed it down to make it a little more appealing to non-gamers in general- the middle-aged, the CoD/Madden "jock" crowd (i.e., guys who don't normally play most video games much less RPGs), and the super young to whom RPGs don't have much appeal. But mostly to the latter.
    Nail. on. head.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Report -> Spamming
    Report -> Language

They silence people without clogging up your ignore list and wipe their chat from your log completely. Train yourself, your first instinct should be to Report them, not respond. It doesn't matter if it's frivolous, until Blizzard gives us an infinite Ignore list or a Squelch (temp ignore) feature, it's the best we have.
    Yea clog up the response times to actual issues even more. How about you just don't give a damn what they say and let the GMs have time to handle REAL issues.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Rule #1 of random queues: Don't Socialize. It only makes you a target.
    If by "socializing" you mean commenting on someone's performance ....

Anyway LFR isn't really a place for socializing. What everyone really wants is a relatively quiet, relatively fuss-free, relatively proficient clear. There are too many people in the channel with too many different interests and backgrounds to make socializing in LFR fun. That's what 5-mans are for, or what they were before, before Blizzard made them obsolete.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Yea clog up the response times to actual issues even more. How about you just don't give a damn what they say and let the GMs have time to handle REAL issues.
    The language and spamming system is thoroughly automated and no human will see the report until there have been enough complaints about the same account that it pretty obviously merits account action.

Their trolling LFR wrong. I only go when I'm helping some guildy dps out with a healer queue and frequently wind up as leader. Raid warnings are a LFR troll's best friend. It's not about being vulgar, it's about confusing the hell out of people. Such favorites of mine are:

Galakras: "Jump off the tower, you'll float down on the auto-parachutes."
    Dark Shamans: "Why is no one running over the blobs for the buff?"
    Thok: "Stay directly behind him, don't risk getting hit with his breath weapon."

Or I just start asking guildies for advise with RW's such as "What's the button for healing again?"

We lovingly refer to these as 'Dickhead Runs.' We take special care to not use offensive language and piss off the easily irritable people.
    Is this where the header goes?

Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    Their trolling LFR wrong. I only go when I'm helping some guildy dps out with a healer queue and frequently wind up as leader. Raid warnings are a LFR troll's best friend. It's not about being vulgar, it's about confusing the hell out of people. Such favorites of mine are:

Galakras: "Jump off the tower, you'll float down on the auto-parachutes."
    Dark Shamans: "Why is no one running over the blobs for the buff?"
    Thok: "Stay directly behind him, don't risk getting hit with his breath weapon."

Or I just start asking guildies for advise with RW's such as "What's the button for healing again?"

We lovingly refer to these as 'Dickhead Runs.' We take special care to not use offensive language and piss off the easily irritable people.
    You sound boring.