Thread: Solo spec ?

Solo spec ?

Hi
    I know there is a thread about "Paladin Solo", but this is more a sub question to that, but I do not think it qualify for that thread since this is not about how to solo a particular boss or anything...
    If I misunderstood I'm deeply sorry. :-/
    Anyway, the question I wanted to ask is quite simple.. I think?... not sure..

What is the ideal paladin spec when it comes to solo?
    As a warrior It's either DPS or Prot, depending on what you go up against. But as a warrior you don't got all that many options when it comes to specs.
    However paladins got somewhat more options... As for my paladins main spec is Retri, but I would also want spec for soloing old content. or Maybe even current content..
    But what spec, aside form Retri is most ideal? Prot or Holy?..
    I've read a great deal in the paladin solo thread, and to me it seems like 50/50 when it comes to prot or holy, with a slight advantage to prot paladins. But before I would make any conclusions I would like to ask the paladin community themselves what they think about it..
    What is the most ideal spec for soloing?

I wish you all a good Christmas
    Last edited by DraCurse; 2013-12-25 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typos

Retribution makes the kills faster in most cases therefore I imagine it's better to go retri for all the easy solo content - Vanilla,TBC,WOTLK(most of it), Cata/MoP dungeons etc. Protection for everything else, pretty sure Protection Paladin is just slightly weaker than Blood DK when it comes to soloing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The deal with soloing is that you want to survive a boss' spells which are normally designed to hit 10/25 players. Prot goes miles ahead due to Vengeance. Since Vengeance provides Spell Power we can survive insane damage and also do some pretty decent damage as well. With ret, we can do massive damage but our capability is very reduced as we don't have vengeance and we can't rack up all dat AP. With holy, sure you can stay alive for the whole fight but the damage would be mediocre at best and you would hit the enrage timer, rendering said attempt fruitless.

Definitely prot. It has the best mix of survivability and damage to see you through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

I see.
    Thank you for the respond.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DraCurse View Post
    If I misunderstood I'm deeply sorry. :-/
    We never forget and we sure as hell don't forgive.

I'd say prot but I am bias, there's a turning point though. I'd say Ret for all vanilla content and TBC content although Mother Sharaz and Illidan in BT can get a bit tricky as can Brutallus in SWP. You'd need ret for Kalecgos almost certainly. WOTLK content I've not tried but prot can easily solo ulduar 25, it just takes a long time. I imagine the turning point from ret -> prot comes somewhere around TOC10man heroic, ICC10man normal and Ulduar 25.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I imagine the turning point from ret -> prot comes somewhere around TOC10man heroic, ICC10man normal and Ulduar 25.
    Fairly sure the turning point is way past that, I haven't tried soloing Cata raids but that's where I'd probably go Prot. WotLK bosses generally don't hit hard enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightKnight87 View Post
    Fairly sure the turning point is way past that, I haven't tried soloing Cata raids but that's where I'd probably go Prot. WotLK bosses generally don't hit hard enough.
    LK25hc really needs to be prot. I think you *can* do it as ret but it's easier as prot. I was thinking those kinds of bosses. I may well be very wrong though
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

I'd say prot but I am bias, there's a turning point though. I'd say Ret for all vanilla content and TBC content although Mother Sharaz and Illidan in BT can get a bit tricky as can Brutallus in SWP. You'd need ret for Kalecgos almost certainly. WOTLK content I've not tried but prot can easily solo ulduar 25, it just takes a long time. I imagine the turning point from ret -> prot comes somewhere around TOC10man heroic, ICC10man normal and Ulduar 25.
    Turning point is 25 man Ulduar HM or 10 man hc ICC, everything up to that is a total cakewalk as Ret and tediously long as Prot (not enough Veng).

10+ Year Old Account
    LK25hc really needs to be prot. I think you *can* do it as ret but it's easier as prot. I was thinking those kinds of bosses. I may well be very wrong though
    Pretty easy as ret with decent gear. I'm 563, used seal of insight, eternal flame and holy prism along with glyphed divine storm and damage taken was never an issue. Same deal with yogg 25+0 minus holy prism, though you can pretty much burst him down after the brain room before any of the healing stuff matters.

Been doing LK25HC as ret since 545-550, and I'm far from the best soloer out there.