Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Remove trolling/flaming as a reason for infraction

Im sure they were first implemented with best intentions in mind but I've see them passed out so many times for no real reason other than just disagreeing with some mods opinion or just because someone was in a bad mood. They seem to be impossible to avoid and from what I've seen, the reasons vary from completely ridiculous (like using a non-offensive word or figure of speech some mod doesnt like or for mild sarcasm) to arbitrary reasons where it's not even clear why the poster got infracted at all.

Ive seen it happen far too many times when obvious vulgar language, name calling, bashing gets a free pass and then all of a sudden if someone disagrees with a popular opinion they get an infraction for calling someone stubborn, arrogant, stuck up etc. or saying something mildly sarcastic.

Another possible solution to this might be peer preview for breaking smaller rules. Mods are people too and make mistakes and they can get worked up and try to find reasons to pass out infractions and bans to people they disagree with or dont exactly like so another mods confirmation that the offense was actually infraction-worthy might make a lot of difference and avoid lots of problems later.

Otherwise, Im not really sure whats allowed or not. At least the rules don't say anything about sarcasm or having a different opinion than a mod.

Deleted
    i see ALOT of mod hate lately..

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO the mods should be more strict, not less. Too much stupidity on these forums (and others of course).

You can't do that, then how are we gonna moderate the real trolls and flame posts?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    i see ALOT of mod hate lately..
    Dont get me wrong, I dont hate mods. And I think most of them are doing a good job but a few bad apples can ruin the bunch..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    You can't do that, then how are we gonna moderate the real trolls and flame posts?
    make it equal for everyone? (cant spell that well today..)

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Dont get me wrong, I dont hate mods. And I think most of them are doing a good job but a few bad apples can ruin the bunch..

i dont hate them aswell, but i just have noticed that there is somthing crazy going on, and by that i mean, that people start to hate them

but as you said, a few bad apples.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im sure they were first implemented with best intentions in mind but I've see them passed out so many times for no real reason other than just disagreeing with some mods opinion or just because someone was in a bad mood. They seem to be impossible to avoid and from what I've seen, the reasons vary from completely ridiculous (like using a non-offensive word or figure of speech some mod doesnt like or for mild sarcasm) to arbitrary reasons where it's not even clear why the poster got infracted at all.

Ive seen it happen far too many times when obvious vulgar language, name calling, bashing gets a free pass and then all of a sudden if someone disagrees with a popular opinion they get an infraction for calling someone stubborn, arrogant, stuck up etc. or saying something mildly sarcastic.

Another possible solution to this might be peer preview for breaking smaller rules. Mods are people too and make mistakes and they can get worked up and try to find reasons to pass out infractions and bans to people they disagree with or dont exactly like so another mods confirmation that the offense was actually infraction-worthy might make a lot of difference and avoid lots of problems later.

Otherwise, Im not really sure whats allowed or not. At least the rules don't say anything about sarcasm or having a different opinion than a mod.
    There is an appeal proccess if you didn't know. Removing Flaming/trolling as a reason for infraction will just make moderation here more painful. Most of the infractions I've seen(Barring mine cause some were silly) were deserving.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Truthfully, sometimes its worth the infraction to say what you want to say. Wear the infraction like a war scar.

This is going off your argument with so and so about that subject that I'm the smartest man on this forum about. Except it was in video games..

Deleted
    I don't think they need to be removed, but I do think there needs to be some re-structuring of the points system.

For example, minor spam, trolling and flaming are all worth the same amount of points and it looks like the degree of each doesn't matter.

If I call someone a spastic cunt, 5 points.

If I say "you are an idiot" - 5 points.

I think that we need more categories such that calling someone stupid would be worth 2/3 points whereas actual flaming worth the full 5.

Trolling should carry the full 5 points, whereas "minor spam" should give less. If it's "minor", why is it weighted the same as actual trolling or calling someone a fat, retarded American?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    I don't think they need to be removed, but I do think there needs to be some re-structuring of the points system.

For example, minor spam, trolling and flaming are all worth the same amount of points and it looks like the degree of each doesn't matter.

If I call someone a spastic cunt, 5 points.

If I say "you are an idiot" - 5 points.

I think that we need more categories such that calling someone stupid would be worth 2/3 points whereas actual flaming worth the full 5.

Trolling should carry the full 5 points, whereas "minor spam" should give less. If it's "minor", why is it weighted the same as actual trolling or calling someone a fat, retarded American?
    Obviously.. but it usually gets no response from mods if theyre arguing for the popular opinion. Then someone disagrees with them, says something sarcastic as a response and gets an infraction for trolling/flaming. And even though there's an appeal process, it can take days or even weeks which isn't exactly fun if the infraction results in a ban.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think there are issues with having multiple different mods with difering views of what counts as being worthy of infractions and the point system needs an overhaul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously.. but it usually gets no response from mods if theyre arguing for the popular opinion. Then someone disagrees with them, says something sarcastic as a response and gets an infraction for trolling/flaming. And even though there's an appeal process, it can take days or even weeks which isn't exactly fun if the infraction results in a ban.
    So you're saying mods are bias instead of removing Flaming/trolling infraction. Goalpost change.

That said like Valarius mentioned

If I call someone "You stupid fuck die in a fire." Or "I hope you get aids and die" That deserves a bit more then "You idiot" That's my opinion. Also Avatar and signature infractions? Come on..make those like 1 points or something. It's so small as it isn't really causing chaos or anything.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    There is an appeal proccess if you didn't know. Removing Flaming/trolling as a reason for infraction will just make moderation here more painful. Most of the infractions I've seen(Barring mine cause some were silly) were deserving.
    Sure but if the infraction results in a ban, you still get ban for days/weeks. So at least that should get looked over and only serious infractions should result in that instantly whiel the minor ones should maybe get a confirmation from another mod?

- - - Updated - - -

So you're saying mods are bias instead of removing Flaming/trolling infraction. Goalpost change.
    No, Im saying its usually results in an infraction if you disagree with a mod. Test me if you dont believe me, I have Like I said, all it takes is one mod or even one decent mod having a bad day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I think there are issues with having multiple different mods with difering views of what counts as being worthy of infractions and the point system needs an overhaul.
    Exactly, I think the rules should at least be more clear. Dont say this, dont do this, dont do that..

Right now you can get a ban for saying pretty much anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure but if the infraction results in a ban, you still get ban for days/weeks. So at least that should get looked over and only serious infractions should result in that instantly whiel the minor ones should maybe get a confirmation from another mod?
    I put an appeal in before. So it does work. It may take awhile(Time zone and real life getting involved).

No, Im saying its usually results in an infraction if you disagree with a mod. Test me if you dont believe me, I have Like I said, all it takes is one mod or even one decent mod having a bad day.
    Pretty sure that's not true at all. Most mods here are pretty sensible. They might make a missed call but to say you get infracted for disagreeing with them kind of highlights some hidden issue you haven't shown us. That and I've heard that before.

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Whatever you do, don't make factual statements about countries that one might decide are unflattering.

Also, don't ever disagree with someone who will blame you for misunderstanding their intent when they say literally the opposite of what they meant.

Also, do not ever consider education to be a desirable trait in a person.

I'm all for taking what's due to me when I actually break the rules, but half of my recent infractions have been total bullshit. Then I ask them exactly how they're against the rules and they won't even explain them to me. Oh well.
    Like I said, I highly doubt it.

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    I put an appeal in before. So it does work. It may take awhile(Time zone and real life getting involved).

Pretty sure that's not true at all. Most mods here are pretty sensible. They might make a missed call but to say you get infracted for disagreeing with them kind of highlights some hidden issue you haven't shown us. That and I've heard that before.
    Agreed. It does work and most mods here are really nice and are doing a good job.. but like I said, all it takes is one bad apple or someone having a bad day since the rules aren't exactly clear on "trolling" and "flaming".

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Whatever you do, don't make factual statements about countries that one might decide are unflattering.

Also, don't ever disagree with someone who will blame you for misunderstanding their intent when they say literally the opposite of what they meant.

Also, do not ever consider education to be a desirable trait in a person.

I'm all for taking what's due to me when I actually break the rules, but half of my recent infractions have been total bullshit. Then I ask them exactly how they're against the rules and they won't even explain them to me. Oh well.
    Yeah mine too..

They didn't bother me much before because the silly ones always got reversed till they actually resulted in a ban.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly.. the higher level mods are pretty sensible and it's usually really hard to disagree with their decisions but it takes time and getting banned for a week till the appeal process takes place for no reason isn't exactly fair.

I was infracted for calling someone an idiot, the moderation on this website is downright hilarious at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockzalot View Post
    I was infracted for calling someone an idiot, the moderation on this website is downright hilarious at times.
    You shouldn't be calling someone an idiot. Now granted IMO it shouldn't be on the same level of. "FUCK YOU STUPID FUCK!!" Some insults are low grade. Some are worse.

Yeah mine too..

They didn't bother me much before because the silly ones always got reversed till they actually resulted in a ban.
    I didn't bother with appeals until I got banned.

Warrior-Magi

You shouldn't be calling someone an idiot. Now granted IMO it shouldn't be on the same level of. "FUCK YOU STUPID FUCK!!" Some insults are low grade. Some are worse.
    I was responding to an idiot making idiotic statements, so it was only appropriate to call him an idiot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockzalot View Post
    I was responding to an idiot making idiotic statements, so it was only appropriate to call him an idiot.
    Inheretly flawed reasoning - Someone using a flawed argument does not inquire you to imply anything about their intelligence level.
    It does give you the right to sensibly prove him wrong and point out his flaws.

But it does not inheretly give you the right nor justification to insult that person because of your own frustration.

And that's why i really don't see the OP's point at all. Any infractions i've seen is people who get unreasonably mad about something, then cry havoc that its "unjustice" when it's them breaking against the terms of agreement to post on these forums or just the sheer conduct of manners on the forums.