Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    The thing with f2p is that it usually has nowhere near the content WoW provides.

  2. #42
    Old God PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    There is a big difference you're missing. F2p is doesn't mean it's play-to-win. In fact the only "play-to-win" games I can think of are garbage grind fests from some Asian company. High quality, story driven, MMOs are not play-to win. Could you name one please?
    World of Tanks?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  3. #43
    Epic! mrgummage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Hague, NL
    Posts
    1,710
    As long as people are prepared to pay for subscriptions, no.
    mrgummage#2816 | Grand Marshal Hottage | Warlords of Draenor Beta Club
    ASUS N53SM : Intel i7 2.2Ghz (3.1Ghz Turbo) : 16GB DDR3 : Geforce GT 630M : Samsung 840 EVO 1TB : Windows 8.1 Pro

  4. #44
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    If you knew you would run the other way.
    Posts
    1,172
    When you also consider that Elder Scrolls Online and one other forget which are supposed to be going the paid sub route then the sub model is not going anywhere soon.. Even Rift, SW:TOR still use the sub model mainly in gaining extra features, in Rifts case it is the ability to post gear on the AH in the game amongst other things.. Not sure about SW:TOR since never played the game.. Mechwarrior Online is free to play but to gain better mechs and other things you have to go to their store..

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    It's time for the f2p model to go away, imo.
    I agree with this. I have no issues paying a reasonable amount each month for a higher quality of game. People complain about paying 15 bucks a month, but let's be honest, people should be thankful it hasn't gone up in price over the years. It's been 15 a month since release, name something else that hasn't gone up in price in the last 9 years.

  6. #46
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    If you knew you would run the other way.
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I agree with this. I have no issues paying a reasonable amount each month for a higher quality of game. People complain about paying 15 bucks a month, but let's be honest, people should be thankful it hasn't gone up in price over the years. It's been 15 a month since release, name something else that hasn't gone up in price in the last 9 years.
    Exactly this, where as other things in life such as food, booze, cigarettes, petrol and so on have gone up in price, WoW's sub has stayed the same even 9+ years later heck even going to the movies costs a ton..

  7. #47
    I'd rather play for free and pay for content than pay to play and get free content.

  8. #48
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    If you knew you would run the other way.
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    I'd rather play for free and pay for content than pay to play and get free content.
    Trouble with doing that is in the end you could end paying more for the game than playing a game with a set fee that you know how much it is going to cost you so you can budget you finances around it..

    Playing for free and then buying content as you go you can't really do that especially if you are short of money at the time..

  9. #49
    Old God PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,768
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Trouble with doing that is in the end you could end paying more for the game than playing a game with a set fee that you know how much it is going to cost you so you can budget you finances around it..

    Playing for free and then buying content as you go you can't really do that especially if you are short of money at the time..
    Depends on how they handle it.

    If you play for all three months between content patches, you're looking at about $45. I would consider a fair price for what other games would call a DLC expansion to be $15-$20, but anything $45 or under isn't costing you any more than it was already costing you.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  10. #50
    Scarab Lord Descense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In oblivion
    Posts
    4,772
    The thing is that the usualy free to play/pay to win games dont provide a stable servers for a good experience, unlike sub based servers. Mostly because they can get away with it. If wow servers go down just for a day... you have a outrage. A free to play game can take some servers down when they like and stil make money due to a shop and selling.
    Also the quality of the sub continet is better than free to play.
    A free to play will add a new zone and maybe some stuff to buy every 60 days (or 7 depending on a game).
    A sub based game like wow will add a lot of stuff, but patches usualy take longer, because bugs destroy game experience (free to play can be buggy and stil make a profit). But the longer the sub based game exist the worse the continent is (i am looking at you pandaria).

    MS example for me:
    WOW : 64 ms (sometimes 900 on fridays when german telia.net gets drunk)
    Any free to play/pay to win game: 70ms-690 ms wich depens on server location and stability of a port.

    But i realy like a EVE pay system. You can buy a sub time and if you lack more , you can spend ingame money and gain more. (others buy it for you)
    So it other words. It helps the economy to get rid of too much money that is made on servers and if players are too lazy to grid (95%) then they have to buy a sub.
    Its a system that cant fail. Also known as PLEX system.

  11. #51
    Brewmaster chaosjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Old Tristam
    Posts
    1,280
    personally i liek the sub model very much.

    But i would like for eve online model to be used by all games.
    IE. cost x $ per month but you can buy from ingame market an item that gives you gametime which another player bought via the homepage.
    plus the fact that expansions are free.

    Active Wow Player | Active D3 Player | Active Eve Player | Active Wot Player | Eve Gametime | Youtube / Twitter

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    All models will be in the market forever, no model is going away. We will see F2P, B2P and Subscription based games for a long time.
    What about the model used for Neverwinter Nights? I don't think we'll see another model like that in the West again : P

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Trouble with doing that is in the end you could end paying more for the game than playing a game with a set fee that you know how much it is going to cost you so you can budget you finances around it..
    Maybe short term but in the long run buying all content is going to be cheaper than paying subs for many years. And the best part is that you can play any time you want without paying anything extra. Currently I'm on a break from DDO but when I return I can just start playing again and all $200 worth of content I've purchased is there ready and waiting. No need to pay anything until new content is released.

  14. #54
    I am Murloc! Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    5,722
    Why do people always think subs are on the out or bad? It'd be tough for you to argue that you aren't paying a sub that gives you better quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Stupid! New things are always much better then the old things...
    New Star wars > old Star wars (crappy special effects anyone lol!)
    Justine Beiber > the beatles (shitty copycats music lol!)
    Twilligt > dracula, do I even need to comment loooool
    yea its probably nostalgia

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Why do people always think subs are on the out or bad? It'd be tough for you to argue that you aren't paying a sub that gives you better quality.
    A subscription, or lack thereof, doesn't directly impact the quality of a game. The primary determinants of the quality of a game are the revenue the game is generating and the team working on it. You can have a spectacular team with a solid flow of revenue with a F2P model working on a great game, and you can have a terrible team with a weak flow of revenue working on a bad game.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    The thing with f2p is that it usually has nowhere near the content WoW provides.
    No. Let's not go there. We all know WoW giving out high amounts of content is a recent thing - less then a year ago. Before that WoW would go around 5 months without an update and even then the update was just a raid (which caters to only people who raid). In between expansions you waited 10-11 months before the expansion was released with zero updates and you still had to pay to play and then pay for the expansion which your subscription funded...

    P2P has its place. However it is more strict and has higher standards which developers usually fail at fulfilling.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  17. #57
    When I consider how much enjoyment/time around people I like playing with/fun stuff in general I get for my $14.99 a month, I'm more than happy to pay it.

    The last time I went to the movies was to see Gravity in IMAX3D, with my daughter. Counting ticket prices, concession stuff, the 22 mile drive (one way) to the theater... that jaunt cost me about $45. Mind you it was a brilliant film, fantastic in every regard... but those 2 hours cost me as much as 3 months of WoW.

    If that doesn't put the game's value-vs-cost into perspective, I don't know what would.

  18. #58
    No payment model needs to "go away". There is nothing inherently wrong with a sub model provided you have product people are willing to... um, rent out.

    It's like leasing or buying a car. Or buying a home vs. renting. Both options can coexist in the market place.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Before that WoW would go around 5 months without an update and even then the update was just a raid (which caters to only people who raid).
    Except no. That hasn't been true since BC. Wrath, Cata and certainly Mists have given ALL players stuff to do in content patches... daily hubs, new dungeons (in Wrath/Cata at least), new reps/mounts/Valor and PvP rewards to work toward. So please don't act like WoW was 'raidz or gtfo' until Mists. That is absolute horseshit.

  20. #60
    I am Murloc! Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A subscription, or lack thereof, doesn't directly impact the quality of a game. The primary determinants of the quality of a game are the revenue the game is generating and the team working on it. You can have a spectacular team with a solid flow of revenue with a F2P model working on a great game, and you can have a terrible team with a weak flow of revenue working on a bad game.
    And you wouldn't agree that subs normally give a game a better flow of revenue? Not to mention, normally attract a better dev team? I don't mean to sound like a huge Blizzard fan boy, but they make quality games. My friend was recently telling me about the bug ridden expansion that LOTRO just put out.. where the dev team said they had 3 people working on the bugs and updates...

    Its hard to argue the F2P model is better. It might be better if you are only counting cost...
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Stupid! New things are always much better then the old things...
    New Star wars > old Star wars (crappy special effects anyone lol!)
    Justine Beiber > the beatles (shitty copycats music lol!)
    Twilligt > dracula, do I even need to comment loooool
    yea its probably nostalgia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •