Poll: Should Blizzard be more proactive in dealing with toxic behavior?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    it is actually possible for GMs to login and view it.

they wouldn't even have to do it every hour on every server. a few random perma bans put on public display for all to see and hear about, and the news would spread like wildfire, and assholes would all but stop being cocksuckers.

it's the same concept with the police. you don't see a cop on every corner watching every second of activity. but for the most part the civilized world stays pretty civilized because of the FEAR of getting in trouble.
    Exactly why they need to make some examples of some of the shitheads doing it and making the punishment public for everyone to see you will quickly get folks to behave correctly if the risk of the action is 1 month in solitary

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    If they want to defeat a fair swath of the toxic behaviour, they should just take out the guild talent that makes gold for the guild.
    I know, that makes someone angry. But the death of guild community due to the 'guild as a gold maker' has been a large contributor to lack of community.
    They've already introduced all sorts of way not to use LFD and LFR, it's just going to take out the most toxic dicks on wow to remove guild as a gold maker guild masters, and in my view that would be instrumental to helping things on the way.
    No one likes joining a guild only to find out they are cattle.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    In FFXIV they introduced a "player commendation" system. At the end of a random dungeon, DF (LFR equivalent), you get a choice to put a commendation on one of the other players that you thinks deserves commendation (usually being played well and nice at the same time), commendation only works when queuing solo (so you cannot give to friends on purpose), and with enough commendation, you get vanity items, pets, mounts and such.

This is a way to force people to be "fake" nice, but more people are being nice because of it regardless. I think this could also work for WoW, however it is sad that a carrot on a stick is needed for people to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    So when I'm on my mount and you can't reach a box because I'm talking to Greatfather Winter, I deserve to get banned? I'm DC'd on one spot or lagging really bad so I can't move, and because you can't reach something I deserve to get banned? I don't realize people can't click through me and since nobody ever speaks up, they just go elsewhere to complain (like these forums), I deserve to get banned? I'm sitting on a spot and my kid starts to cry or I smell my dinner burning or my house on fire and I get up because I'm a responsible human being I deserve to get banned? That's what you're telling me.
    Here's a tip: zoom in to avoid getting blocked off.
    There are things you can do about it, and because of that there is no reason for Blizzard to waste their time and resources by stepping in and holding your hand for your instant gratification. Do you want to ban people for swarming around an important new NPC and making you lag, too?
    Try the in-game report feature. It exists for a reason. GMs should not and will never step in for something as ridiculous as this.

You know perfectly well what actions we are talking about so really why do you support folks from being shitheads and blocking things on purpose just to be a shithead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    It isn't ever growing. It's always been this way (yes Vanilla was incredibly toxic and horrible as well). It's actually shrinking if anything because the playerbase is slowly shrinking. The peak of the toxicity was Wrath.

Funny I played since BC and it the amount of Toxic players seems to have gotten larger

Is Sam's Club going to address the obnoxious people yelling into their phones? The ones who bump you out of the way to grab that last item on the shelf? The one who rams their cart into your car? Nope. It's a business. A private company like A&E can get away with that shit, but a company owned by shareholders best care only about the numbers. We've all dealt with this for close to a decade, and we're all still here. No one is quitting over griefing, so Blizzard has no reason to address it on behalf of their ownership.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, such behavior as that cannot be addressed well. As it is not really against the rules to be mounted at the trees.
    Just do like I, use a wand and turn them into something like a whisp.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So when I'm on my mount and you can't reach a box because I'm talking to Greatfather Winter, I deserve to get banned? I'm DC'd on one spot or lagging really bad so I can't move, and because you can't reach something I deserve to get banned? I don't realize people can't click through me and since nobody ever speaks up, they just go elsewhere to complain (like these forums), I deserve to get banned? I'm sitting on a spot and my kid starts to cry or I smell my dinner burning or my house on fire and I get up because I'm a responsible human being I deserve to get banned? That's what you're telling me.
    There are things you can do about it, and because of that there is no reason for Blizzard to waste their time and resources by stepping in and holding your hand for your instant gratification. Do you want to ban people for swarming around an important new NPC and making you lag, too?
    Try the in-game report feature. It exists for a reason. GMs should not and will never step in for something as ridiculous as this.
    yeah sitting on your mammoth for 12 hours straight covering the npc, using firewater to make your size 3x as big. all totally innocent and accidental. sorry didn't mean to ban such a perfect example of humanity.

Deleted
    really, complaining about people being on their mounts whilst at a popular spot in the game ?
    do what I did. Said "sod it" went and enjoyed some Christmas turkey, a few beers, a movie, and went back later on. guess what ? easily got the presents. its also not like they are going to vanish in the next few hours, you have until January to get them.

Now if your talking about the nasty whispers and insults I got for loading into the area on a mount before I had even had chance to move, then yes, that sort of behaviour should absolutely be addressed, being told I should go and perform sexual acts on my mother for simply loading into the game and not moving within 1/1000th of a second of me connecting to the server is unacceptable, and yes I did report these people.

As for the general toxicity of the game's player base, then yes there is an awful lot than can, and more importantly should be done. I believe it is LoL that shows the offense, and the punishment that the person gets, this type of system should be implemented within wow, at least then people can see that asshatery is acted upon, and that punishment is given out. At the moment there is no way to tell if a person has been suspended from the game for a few hours, days or even had a warning. This leads people to believe that actions have no consequences and continue not only to be an ass, but gives them the impression that if they are not being an ass, that being an ass is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    You know perfectly well what actions we are talking about so really why do you support folks from being shitheads and blocking things on purpose just to be a shithead
    The point was that you can't prove why they're blocking it so getting pissed at people inconveniencing you in a video game is pointless. There are plenty of ways around it, one of them being patience. If you're going to sit there waiting for someone to move for 3 hours, and you complain and rage at the guy for not moving and calling him pathetic, just realize you were also waiting there 3 hours for him to move. Presents will be there for days.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tbh, it is usually quite easy to see who is doing it on purpose, and who is not.

One of the things that seperates the asshats from those just ending up there by accident, is that they usually stay there for a good while, and many of them are vocal about it.

Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    Funny I played since BC and it the amount of Toxic players seems to have gotten larger
    Of course. Less moderation/support and more incentives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sadly, such behavior as that cannot be addressed well. As it is not really against the rules to be mounted at the trees.
    At least at some point even things like these have been corrected.

Zoom the camera in and walk to the present and right click them... WoW doesn't have camera colition with mounts. Fixed everyones problem with mounts... go me!

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    In FFXIV they introduced a "player commendation" system. At the end of a random dungeon, DF (LFR equivalent), you get a choice to put a commendation on one of the other players that you thinks deserves commendation (usually being played well and nice at the same time), commendation only works when queuing solo (so you cannot give to friends on purpose), and with enough commendation, you get vanity items, pets, mounts and such.

This is a way to force people to be "fake" nice, but more people are being nice because of it regardless. I think this could also work for WoW, however it is sad that a carrot on a stick is needed for people to be nice.
    I like that idea. Especially if there is no way to to downgrade commendation. Allow people to be nice, don't make it mandatory, but also don't let them be jerks and downgrade people for no reason.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The point was that you can't prove why they're blocking it so getting pissed at people inconveniencing you in a video game is pointless. There are plenty of ways around it, one of them being patience. If you're going to sit there waiting for someone to move for 3 hours, and you complain and rage at the guy for not moving and calling him pathetic, just realize you were also waiting there 3 hours for him to move. Presents will be there for days.

we don't give a shit about 'why'. if the asshole died of a heart attack (good riddance i wish he would) his character would logout after 15 minutes. but nope, even if you throw that wrath shrink stuff on him, he instantly clicks it off, so you know he's doing it intentionally.

for the record, this doesn't bother me, i know how to get around it easily. what bugs me is the idiots filling up chat with their complaints because they don't understand how to type 'V' or zoom all the way in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Just do like I, use a wand and turn them into something like a whisp.

from the TOS

Zone or Area Disruption
    This category includes language and/or actions intended to disturb groups of players or areas of the world, such as:

Disruption of player events or gatherings.
    Excessive use of in-game sounds or visuals.
    Excessively casting spells with noticeable effects in crowded areas.
    Impeding or blocking access to an NPC, doodad, doorway, or any other area of the world that a player would normally be able to access.
    - - - Updated - - -

As i said before this thread is about the TOXIC BEHAVIOR ALL YEAR AROUND

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Tbh, it is usually quite easy to see who is doing it on purpose, and who is not.

One of the things that seperates the asshats from those just ending up there by accident, is that they usually stay there for a good while, and many of them are vocal about it.
    If Blizzard ever addresses this, it will be with phasing like Sunsong at the mailboxes. They're not going to risk losing any money with punitive actions against paying customers.

"Toxic" is way overused. Minor annoyances shouldn;t be referred to as toxic.

15+ Year Old Account
    While that is good in theory, it doesn't really work out that way.

If everyone just went off to do something else if someone chose to do this, the player doing it would get bored and move on to something else... in theory. This isn't possible. There is a constantly supply of players logging on, and moving to the NPC. The mocker would have quite an unlimited supply of players incoming. This is also one of the features of the game that aren't intended to be blocked by a timer. That's what you have random content for, like rares. Not everyone appreciates it, or want too much of it. It should simply not be happening.
    Last edited by Duridi; 2013-12-25 at 07:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can't really do anything about that. 80% of the people are trying to open their presents (somehow I was able to click through people, not as bad as it used to be). Only a few people get really huge and attempt to block it on a mammoth. In which case, just zoom all the way in. It's the black friday of WoW. Enjoy it.