Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    There's a difference between those who join to make a difference in their lives & those who join in the new year because they've made a resolution to "get healthy" or "lose weight". Those who genuinely want to change their lifestyle by going to the gym generally don't wait for the mass signups of the first week of January, they join up through the year because to them it's not about an arbitrary date to make the change, it's about making the change regardless as to if it's the third Wednesday in September or the third of January. I have nothing bad to say about those people because well, I've been the overweight guy who decided enough was enough, they're the ones who become the guys you speak to in the changing rooms fairly quickly.

    However the "resolutioners" as I call them you can spot a mile away, they're the ones who kid themselves on every year that it's going to be THIS year they're going to do something about their fitness, they rock up the first Monday of the New Year in brand new gear & so full of optimism, they'll sign up for the whole package (classes & all that). Problem is as several have pointed out, they barely stick it out, there's the odd one who'll prove to be made of sterner stuff, but 90-95% of them will not be seen in the gym for the vast majority of the year - that's not being a dick about it, that's just telling the story the way it actually is, I don't dislike them for it, I actually feel sorry for them because they're missing out. (And feel especially sorry for them given they'll be paying a decent chunk of change to miss out on the satisfaction that a good session will give you)

    The other thing that kinda bums me out about it is the fact you'll probably see the self same person again the next year doing the same thing all over again with the new kit & the same old good intentions which die out after a few weeks. If your average gym worker had a pound for every time they've seen a "resolutioner" they'd be able to retire before they served 10 years in the role. If that sounds judgemental then I do appologise, but ultimately there's no real way to sugar coat the truth in this situation, I'd just rather they'd make the change, personally I don't mind if it's busier as a result because it means they're doing more than paying lip service to it.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

  2. #22
    Yes, it sucks that the gym gets super crowded. The annoying thing is all these new people who don't follow simple gym etiquette or try to do things like crossfit in a regular gym. As long as people are not assholes or follow simple gym norms then everyone can pretty much get along and get their own workouts done. The really annoying ones are the people who choose to do crossfit/tae bo/fusion/etc during peak hours in the regular weightlifting areas. If you're wanting to do crossfit pony up the money and go to a crossfit gym or do it during non-peak hours at a regular gym.

    People who "curl in the squat rack" really don't bother me too much. Yeah, I might get annoyed because you're hogging a piece of equipment that I want but it doesn't bother me that much. But pretty much most all kids under 18 I want to crush their skulls with the 125lb dumbbells.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    There's a difference between those who join to make a difference in their lives & those who join in the new year because they've made a resolution to "get healthy" or "lose weight".
    This is the big thing to me that stands out. I was overweight last year, 6'0" 305 pounds, I'm now down to 220 and still continue to go to the gym and workout daily. However when I decided to loss my weight I didn't say "I want to get healthy", or "I want to loss weight". I said "I'm going to change my life." And anyone that wants to make a resolution to loss weight is going to fail, simply because your mind set from the start is wrong, its not about losing weight, or getting healthy, its about changing your life to the point where pretty much everything you do is different. Over the last 8 months my eating habits have changed, my workout habits have changed, my sleep habits have changed, I play wow less, I study more so on and so forth. Getting in shape is a life style change, it isn't enough to make a resolution to "get fit".

  4. #24
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere Moist and Dark
    Posts
    118
    It's not that I don't like all the New Year's band-wagoners, it's that a lot of them lack proper practice and etiquette. They just come off as being very rude and not knowing how to properly use equipment ruins the flow of the gym. Train during off hours after the new year.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Why not do something aside from the gym for a week? You can pretty much murder yourself with calisthenics and outdoor activities.
    Some people don't go to the gym to do calisthenics. Outdoor work is good too but if you're looking to up your strength and pack on muscle (provided you're in a surplus) then there's few things that can compare then getting into the zone and stepping into that power rack to bust your ass with some lifting.
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

    Running geneswests 5/3/1

  6. #26
    Bloodsail Admiral Dutchmagoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,202
    Yea, screw those people trying to lose weight/gain muscle/become healthier, how dare they take up your valuable private space! Wait...
    Got questions about mages or want your logs analyzed? Feel free to PM me.

    Altered Time - The #1 mage community.

    Recruiting for Mythic raiding! World 90 - 3 days/week Click or add Dutchiee#2877

  7. #27
    Herald of the Titans Yilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    Yea, screw those people trying to lose weight/gain muscle/become healthier, how dare they take up your valuable private space! Wait...
    Do you even lift? ....

  8. #28
    maybe some people only need 1-2months to lose the weight they gained during the holidays?

  9. #29
    I'll just say


  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    I'll just say

    Lol I love this guy. His crossfit video is the best.

    I admit I use the 2.5lb plates lol. Called progressive overload
    And if I'm feeling just completely fucked for deads, I'll rack on a 20kg plate then 15kgs after instead of picking it up to slide another 20kg on.
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

    Running geneswests 5/3/1

  11. #31
    Herald of the Titans -Ethos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    My gym isn't that big, can't wait for the new years resolution crowd to waste our time hogging our weights and machines. Last year our gym got an influx of "new members" and a majority showed up for a few months, Was so hard to do my regular routine.

    I'm not looking forward to this.
    How dare people try and better themselves.

    5069-5224-8275 Pokemon Friend Safari - Ice: Lapras / Snorunt / Sneasel

  12. #32
    Posts like this make me laugh. Mate you don't go to gym stop lying to your self.

    Everyone's a bodybuilder / personal trainer on these forums lmfao.
    Last edited by Voisier; 2013-12-31 at 03:53 AM.

  13. #33
    yeah, January sucks in the gym.

    I have no problem with newbies who are going to stick it, in fact I'll be encouraging, but the new years resolution bunch can sod off, no intention of sticking it out, and will thankfully be gone by end of jan. Just dont bother and stop getting in the damm way.
    capitalism works you say?
    http://www.businessinsider.com/inequ...u-think-2013-3
    Want to try again?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    Posts like this make me laugh. Mate you don't go to gym stop lying to your self.

    Everyone's a bodybuilder / personal trainer on these forums lmfao.

    Why so mad?

    I'm neither a bber or PT... I'm training for powerlifting :P

  15. #35
    I've seen more slow, poorly dressed, half-assed runners out lately. I wish them all the best, but if you're going to just go out in sweatpants, it's probably not going to last very long.

  16. #36
    Brewmaster Doorsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Prison
    Posts
    1,316
    My way of resolving this issue was pretty simple actually.

    A majority of my workout scheduel is based around improvised training sequences and using things that i have available at home.

    Admitedly - i do have a bench press and i do yield several adjustable weights to dumb-bells - But overall, if it bothers you, you can fix it.

    First off - get a bench press at home if that is your thing. It doesn't cost a lot and you can access is a lot easier then at a gym.

    Secondly - You can do same principle exercises of a gym at home - the only real difference being in the fact that machines usually (not always) allow you to perform in such a way that you would have to do considerably wrong to damage yourself - where as of improvised training methods this does not apply. (Or if you consider to take a lot of weight on Benchpress, don't do that at home cause you need 2 ppl for that)

    So if you do decide to do something about it - keep in mind to be very aware of what you are doing. Before you hurt yourself.

    Personally i've already recovered from a pretty severe injury to my back that lead me to not being able to walk straight and i suffered from chronical pain. But overall i twas absolved with medicinal thai massage - which is costly.

    So to sum up - You can fix it yourself. And if you really are that keen on training - Don't whine about it on some forum.
    Deal with the problem head on.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    There's a difference between those who join to make a difference in their lives & those who join in the new year because they've made a resolution to "get healthy" or "lose weight".
    I think this is partially fundamentally the difference between a person who chooses to do it as a resolution and someone who works out often and trains hard/has a diet etc.

    The issue being that to workout and have a different diet doesn't just mean to have like a small oath or say "This year i WILL do it!". It's something you either do or don't - It might be painful, it might be hard - but some plain do it, some don't.

    So i guess i agree with your point overall - albeit my view of training is also much more of a self discipline and self respect repeating idea for myself. I cannot speak for others - But i would not work out the way i did if my idea was just "To do it this year". To me it was just that i was just so sick of having physical problems and feeling weak, tired etc.

    So in the end i fixed my life. And that's the difference - A small promise in case of a fictive date of celebration is NOTHING in comparing to actually DEALING WITH YOUR LIFE.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    How dare people try and better themselves.
    He is complaining over the fact of people who are doing it half-heartedly and thoose who do not yield it enough to do it properly.

    I personally don't condemnd such people - But it's pretty simple ; either you have the discipline to deal with your issue head on, or you don't do it all.

  17. #37
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I've seen more slow, poorly dressed, half-assed runners out lately. I wish them all the best, but if you're going to just go out in sweatpants, it's probably not going to last very long.
    "13 Ways to Lose More Weight This Year: Add Sweatpants for a HUGE Loss!"

    *Picture of Ryan Gosling*
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  18. #38
    The Patient Meeria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Sussex, England
    Posts
    276
    This is actually why I'm waiting before getting back to the gym. I had to stop going to the gym last autumn because of money issues and now that I've finally found a cheaper gym (open 24/7 as well) I'm just gonna give it a few weeks before signing up. I don't like having lots of people around in any situation.

  19. #39
    I change Gym every year from Jan to May

    The worst part about the January crowd, is their tendency to chat for way too long ><

  20. #40
    Pit Lord Gerbert the's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hooterville
    Posts
    2,332
    The OP is actually complaining about the kinds of people who go to his gym?? Wow, to live such a privileged life!
    "【A Chinese viewpoint on the new version:MOP】
    since we have lived in a world filled with magic and beast and lots of culture,so it is reasonable to let all kinds of culture come into World of Warcraft
    Orc:black people Jazz
    Gorblin:Israel Jews (No offensive,Gorblins are good at making money,that's ture in my eyes)"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •