Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    You have the camera speed set to maximum and it still feels slow? I felt the same way when I first played the game (the default is set to the slowest speed for some reason) but when I put it at max speed it felt as fast if not faster than any other game I've played. I will say that the small FOV was really my biggest complaint at the start but I've since gotten used to it. Now I don't even notice it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    You have the camera speed set to maximum and it still feels slow? I felt the same way when I first played the game (the default is set to the slowest speed for some reason) but when I put it at max speed it felt as fast if not faster than any other game I've played. I will say that the small FOV was really my biggest complaint at the start but I've since gotten used to it. Now I don't even notice it.
    Yes, the first thing I did once I started the game was setting the speed to maximum. It still is quite slow. Not unplayable slow, but much slower than that in other RPGs. In fact, in SWTOR my camera speed rotation is set to, I think, 6% of maximum, and it is very fast. I don't understand why they scaled it differently in GW2.
    Actually, I am now thinking about finally buying Naga or similar mouse with a lot of additional preferences which will allow me to tweak the mouse speed for this game (and, of course, add new buttons to mouse). While exploring, my current sensitivity suits me quite well, but in combat I would really love to have, at least, twice the sensitivity I have now.

As for FOV, I've read a lot of complaints about it as well, but I myself didn't even notice it. Maybe FOV is small, I don't know, but it didn't bother me at all.

Yea, I would disagree GW2's camera is comparably as quick as competing MMOs (it is likely provable as well). It is not the slowest or least responsive camera. Though no where near the level of World of Warcraft, SWTOR, Tera or Rift. The last one having a camera so responsive I have to play Rift at close to min camera speed least I spin uncontrollably. Tera is very fast too.

A particularly sensitive issue for me as I play via mouse driving for almost all movement in MMOs.

That said, I find GW2 perfectly playable all the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Yes... Like the night you see in that ice fractal would be awesome
    Haha that might be a bit tad too dark But why not in some areas, caves etc. Maybe even some dense jungle places ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, I would disagree GW2's camera is comparably as quick as competing MMOs (it is likely provable as well). It is not the slowest or least responsive camera. Though no where near the level of World of Warcraft, SWTOR, Tera or Rift. The last one having a camera so responsive I have to play Rift at close to min camera speed least I spin uncontrollably. Tera is very fast too.

A particularly sensitive issue for me as I play via mouse driving for almost all movement in MMOs.

That said, I find GW2 perfectly playable all the same.
    It surely is playable, but high sensitivity would add a lot of joy to my experience in this game. This is, actually, the only problem that really bothers me about this game; all there rest is excellent. I don't even notice 30 FPS anymore (I usually aim at 120 FPS, 50-60 FPS being the bare minimum of what I consider a more-or-less fluid gameplay, so 30 FPS seemed like a very terrible performance to me), since the animations are quite fluid in this game and I don't see any particular stutter; in comparison, SWTOR at 30 FPS is nearly unplayable for me, and WoW even at 50 FPS seemed a bit sluggish.
    As for the controls, I use quite a weird system I've developed for myself in SWTOR. I use q-w-e as StrafeLeft-MoveBackward-StrafeRight and mouse as MoveForward, and at the same time I use an AHK script for toggling free mouse look by left Ctrl (that emulates holding the right mouse button, only I don't actually have to hold it; I don't know if it is legal to use or not since it doesn't provide me with any actual advantage, but makes my right hand much more comfortable after a few hours of gaming). This makes 1-5 numbers very easy to reach, and also I can set a,s,d,f,g,z,x,c,v,b as hotkeys and use Alt as modifier; very convenient system, once you get used to it. With free mouse look toggle, camera in game feels much more responsive, but still I would love to have at least 2 times more sensitivity.

As for the game itself, the closest game it reminds me of is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Sylvari are very kin to Fae, and music, visual style, combat system are very similar. Only the world seems to be bigger than in KoA (although there it was big enough as well), with more interesting quests, a lot of grouping with other people and, of course, a few different storylines.

Although I am a bit confused about other people: I play on Gandara which is listed as having "Very high" population, but I barely ever see anyone, even in The Grove which is considered a major city. Is it just that so few people play Sylvari, or are they all just doing high level PvP and PvE? I remember watching some "Let's play"s for Humans, and the starting zone there seemed to be extremely crowded, with 20+ people participating in Events, while yesterday as Sylvari I participated in 2 events with 3 other people in the first and 1 other in the second.

People are clustered in certain areas currently, and The Grove isn't a popular city hangout. Humans have easier time because of the Queensdale Champion Train.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    People are clustered in certain areas currently, and The Grove isn't a popular city hangout. Humans have easier time because of the Queensdale Champion Train.
    I see. So, it is like in WoW, where there is a lot of people in Orgrimmar, Undercity, Dark Portal and a few other places, but almost nobody in, say, Blade's Edge Mountains?
    I miss those old times back in 2000 in Ultima Online which was a one huge zergfest...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I see. So, it is like in WoW, where there is a lot of people in Orgrimmar, Undercity, Dark Portal and a few other places, but almost nobody in, say, Blade's Edge Mountains?
    Happens in every MMO basically. The mid-level areas will be the most empty because players are in the full swing of leveling. GW2 also has this thing with "champ trains"...but their frequency depends on time of day and server population.

Regarding cities - GW2 is a little different from WoW because all 5 races are friendly, so everyone just uses the "neutral" main hub. Lion's Arch in GW2 is the equivalent of Shattrath in TBC or Dalaran in WotLK...which makes for some RIDICULOUS loading screens + lag (and I have a pretty good PC). Racial cities in WoW became ghost towns during those 2 expansions, which is why Cataclysm and MoP didn't have any quick-access neutral hubs. Smart move by Blizzard.

GW2 is dealing with that issue in it's own way, by having the next Living World event (Feb 18) involving Lion's Arch getting invaded + wrecked. All the services available there are being relocated to some lvl 30-40 zone lol. It's really going to shake things up for sure! >_<
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2014-02-13 at 03:39 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I play on Gandara which is listed as having "Very high" population, but I barely ever see anyone
    Supposedly server populations are based on how many accounts are on that server, not actually how many people are online. My server is also "Very High", but you would never know it. Most events are desolate, WvW has a weak population, never that many people in LA, etc.

I don't know anything about the EU servers, but if you're not far into the game and aren't playing with someone else you might want to research which servers actually are populated.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I don't know anything about the EU servers, but if you're not far into the game and aren't playing with someone else you might want to research which servers actually are populated.
    Well, people say that Gandara is one of the most populated servers out there, along with Aurora Glade and Desolation, but the latter is PvP-based.
    There was one "full" server, so I am not sure about that one.

Deso isn't a PvP server at all. The mists is practically empty (always has been it's not just because of the update that makes it possible to queue from everywhere).
    We suck at WvW (if you wanna call that PvP).

The only thing deso is good at is world bosses.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Deso isn't a PvP server at all. The mists is practically empty (always has been it's not just because of the update that makes it possible to queue from everywhere).
    We suck at WvW (if you wanna call that PvP).

The only thing deso is good at is world bosses.
    Hmm, this is strange. I've read that back in 2012 it was a very active PvP server. Priorities have shifted, I guess.

Still, Gandara seems to be the most popular server out there - at least it is recommended by most players on the official forums. Although some people say that Piken Square is more active in terms of players interaction since it is an unofficial RP server. But Gandara doesn't seem to be any popular at all; at least, in Sylvari lands there is next to nobody around. I meet people like once every 3 minutes in villages and The Grove, but there is absolutely no one in actual battlegrounds. Hopefully, there will be more people as I go to higher level zones, or as I close to Human lands...

10+ Year Old Account
    Desolation was my first server and it was hugely active, everyone jumped ship and it died. Having something like WvW server bound sounds great, in practice its flawed, when Desolation crashed I knew a few friends who had transferred to be a part of it only for it to crash and burn just after they got there.

Deleted
    Way back when, I recall going to Deso often because it was where the PvPers I knew would go to the lobby area. Even Mist League & Blu (fairly sure it was Blu) used to arrange meets there online.
    Of course, this was a long time ago now & even Mist League split not so long ago.
    Sure beat Underworld where you`d see at most an average of eight players.

A good move would`ve been to make the BGs lobby one place & add overflows to it, because you can party up & chat PvP & non of this silly party bugs/invites, because you can select the same BGs to join through a server number.

a server structure similar to GW1 for the sPvP lobby would have been ideal I think

That's basically what Fish described.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Yep, just agreeing with him

I wonder if there is something in their tech that is preventing them from doing this

Not at all, it's their vision as is with many things.

I find it strange that their vision would be an empty lobby

Sorry, I didn't phrase that right.

Their technology isn't limited, their vision is.