Poll: Which snow removal method would you suggest for residential use?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Firstly, I completely understand the reason why people use snow-blowers and equivalent, but I for one will always use a shovel or until I am unable to do so. Than I will pay some naive teenager to shovel for me. I find people too rushed these days or don't spend enough time doing physical activity outside especially in the winter. I love the feeling of shoveling snow especially after you conquer that mountain of evil fluffy goodness.

My father is 63 years old and still shovels his driveway in the country side (Canada) every snowfall (2-3 times every other day in the winter) and it's about 90-100ft in length.

OP: Pay some teenager to do your dirty work; however, my input for snow-blowers is get one with an electric starter. (pulling on gas sucks in the cold)

P.S. I would definitely use a flamethrower... except that would generate too much ice... so I will stick with my trusted shovel. My only complaint about shovels are they don't make them like they use too.. POS Plastic crap as I have broken 2 so far this winter.

~Spazzer
    Last edited by Spazzer; 2013-12-27 at 02:01 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Salt the fuck out of wherever you would need shoveled when it starts to snow so they the need never arises.

Salt won't work if it gets too cold.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskymon View Post
    I use this:
    That is the Rolls Royce of snow removal apparatuses.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    That is the Rolls Royce of snow removal apparatuses.
    I laughed way to hard (while at work) at this comment. I 100% agree but they do not make them like they use to.

~Spazzer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    help answer the all important question:
    Which of the most prevalent snow removal options is best for Gheld? (poll inc.)
    None of them.

Do what I do when it snows. Bribe some kids with a bit of money, then go raid Road Grit Bin and put lots of salt grit down.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Salt won't work if it gets too cold.
    Or if it snows a lot. Then you end up with an ice layer under the snow, and that's a pain in the ass to remove.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I have a somewhat similar driveway and I just use a shovel. The area is small enough a snow blower to me is overkill. Plus I have no where to store it and I would be worried it gets stolen. I don't find it too bad but then you get ice on top of snow and my back hurts like hell after that.

I have a 2 stage 26" 10HP yard machine blower. I actually purchased it from a co-worker (who I knew maintained it religiously) for $200 (which was really a steal). It has worked great the last two seasons, I have only needed to change the oil and adjust the drive belt.

The only thing that slows it down is when the snow is really wet and heavy, I just need to slow down a bit.

If you can find a well maintained used snowblower you can save yourself a good amount of money. If I bought the same unit I have right now, it would be close to $1,000. If you do end up going with the gas snow blower route, make sure you change the oil every season, and on the off season put some fuel stabalizer in the tank, and make sure you don't leave a ton of gas in the tank. (It also helps to start the machine up a few times in the off season).

Deleted
    I only clear the sidewalk and a path to sidewalk with a shovel. Usually takes me half an hour to a full hour depending on how high the snow is.

Don't need any fancy electric shovels or snow plowers or whatever, a little exercise never hurts. Also, I keep the snow on part of sidewalk and street where people park so nobody parks in front of my house anymore And that's why I love snow, nobody can park on a 50-100 cm pile of snow!

Plywood.

I have a huge large piece of Plywood that's used in Construction, and I push that down the drive moving all the snow. It makes a huge pile, and I just brush the remaining amount. It's one hell of a struggle, so rewarding though.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    nobody can park on a 50-100 cm pile of snow!
    ... I beg to differ. I do it whenever Mother Nature decides to dump that much snow.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I don't use any of them, I live in the desert :c

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recomend a good brand single stage one. Go for a Honda primarly! those ones removes snow really well and their engines is bullet proof!
    Take care of it and it last you least 20 years.
    Other good brands is Husquarna and Stiga imo. Jap or Swedish stuff don't fail.

My snowblower is called Trima and is a 1 stage 2.4 meter wide one, maybe a bit overkill to you.
    using it with my MF 595 tractor combined with a 2.6m front blade.
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4