Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Where does this happen?

If you choose a bail bondsman you pay 10% of the actual bail and he puts up the entire amount.
    You however do not get the money back.
    I don't think it's set on income; my father's bail was $500,000 and my parents made $1800 a month in social security.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't think it's set on income; my father's bail was $500,000 and my parents made $1800 a month in social security.
    It's not in America but I think I heard of it that way in Denmark or somewhere vikings come from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It is when a judge sets a bail amount however most offenses (non violent crimes) do not require a judge to set a bond amount, or at least they did not when I worked for the Sherif's department 3 years ago.

Bail is a tool to reduce jail populations.

Three options:
    1. Society could lock EVERYONE away for even minor offenses until their court hearing / trial. But that would put much pressure on the jail system and disrupt lives.
    2. We could arrest people, process them, and then release them with a court date to appear on. However, we run into the problem of a lot of people not showing up and then having to organize a manhunt to go get them.
    3. We could arrest people, process them, and then release them with a future court date ONLY IF they pay the court some money to help offset the cost of hunting for them if they fail to appear. Bail.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Where does this happen?

If you choose a bail bondsman you pay 10% of the actual bail and he puts up the entire amount.
    You however do not get the money back.
    Well, when skimming wikipedia on the subject it would seem that the US, Canada, Czech Republic, England, Wales and Scotland use bail.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Well, when skimming wikipedia on the subject it would seem that the US, Canada, Czech Republic, England, Wales and Scotland use bail.
    That's great!
    No one asked that question though.
    Try reading again.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty.
    Some evidence is presented at bail hearings and it is decided whether they are dangerous, a flight risk and are able to pay bail.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    The court is still releasing a potential dangerous person for money. I still find no sense in that.
    ....Or potentially not dangerous person. Everyone is thought of as innocent until proven guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    ....Or potentially not dangerous person. Everyone is thought of as innocent until proven guilty.
    Reasons people get bail (or released on own recognizance, meaning free to go until trial):
    1. Not enough evidence to suggest danger
    2. Ties to community prevent them being a flight risk
    3. no means to flee

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    You can pay your own bail with a bail bondsman. In some states you can even request going to an ATM before being sent to jail.
    I paid my bail with a credit card at the county jail. $2500 for reckless driving and resisting arrest.

hmm nobody has mentioned RoR yet (or I missed it!)
    -> "The pretrial release of an arrested person who promises, usually in writing but without supplying a surety or posting bond, to appear for trial at a later date." (Black's Law Dictionary, 9th)
    furthermore, very often - even if bail is set - D doesn't actually pay money (ie if you own a house you can use that - just like borrowing against it)

I'm not sure you have to pay in the UK, perhaps some ppl do but bail from my experience has been more of a cooldown period between your case being taken to court or it being dropped.

the main thing to remember is that if you commit a crime while on bail or break your bail conditions its pretty much strait to jail.

I got in trouble once and was let out on bail and didn't have to pay anything but i was told that if i commit a crime anywhere between the day i was released on bail to the day i had to go back to the police station they would issue a warrant. then again i wasn't an adult at the time so perhaps that factored into the reason for not having to pay. In my case it was dropped i just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

probation is similar to bail, it follows the same idea of 'break the law and back to jail you go'. but in the case of probation you would of already served some time and are serving the rest mostly free but on a leash. some ppl usually thieves or drug dealers can get put on tag during either if they think your a risk of reoffending.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-12-28 at 05:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    The reason for this in the US you are innocent until proven guilty. Unless the crime you are being accused of committing is extremely bad or you are a potential flight risk you can have temporary freedom until you are found guilty.
    Which is kinda stupid. You're innocent until proven guilty, yet you get fucked over before even being proven guilty. You should have to prove guilt before inflicting any sort of negative things.
    Last edited by mmoc68ceb3652c; 2013-12-28 at 06:16 AM.