1. #1

    Will new models be avaialble to all players come patch 6.0?

    So... I've thought about the implementation of the new character models, and (to me) it seems like it's going to be a safe bet that they'll be introduced in patch 6.0, much in the same way old-world Cata got implemented. I mean, why would they force you to keep the primitive models - especially when they want new players to see up-to-date visuals?

    The thing that struck me is this... can this REALLY be called an expansion feature when it's 100% free with a patch?

    I mean, if they do this - then theoretically even the newb free-to-play guy would have the new character models. Nothing wrong with that... BUT...

    What I'm saying is, if they put "new character models" on more trailers/commercials and on the game box itself - and yet subsequently release it as a free part of patch 6.0 - isn't that technically false advertizing, since you're NOT getting new character models as part of the actual expansion purchase?
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  2. #2
    Pandaren as a race were free to everyone. The Cataclysm world revamp was free to everyone as well. Inscription, Archaeology, and Pet Battles were all available to new players to the game too. I would put this feature alongside those. They all became available shortly before, or upon the release of the expansion to all players.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhomeli View Post
    Pandaren as a race were free to everyone. The Cataclysm world revamp was free to everyone as well. Inscription, Archaeology, and Pet Battles were all available to new players to the game too. I would put this feature alongside those. They all became available shortly before, or upon the release of the expansion to all players.
    Exactly. Pandaren were free. Pandaria was not.
    New models are free. Draenor is not.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  4. #4
    Brewmaster slackjawsix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tell me! where am i!
    Posts
    1,343
    It would just be a mess for blizzard to make characters appear differently depending on ur xpac
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer Agoonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,170
    They said Pandaren were a feature for MoP even though they were pretty much free.

    EDIT: Never mind, other people beat me to it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    What I'm saying is, if they put "new character models" on more trailers/commercials and on the game box itself - and yet subsequently release it as a free part of patch 6.0 - isn't that technically false advertizing, since you're NOT getting new character models as part of the actual expansion purchase?
    Yes because it is an expansion feature, you have to realize that they are expandingTHEIR game (serverside). The box you buy is merely a license that enables certain extra features.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    They said Pandaren were a feature for MoP even though they were pretty much free.

    EDIT: Never mind, other people beat me to it.
    Again... isn't that technically false advertising then?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrax View Post
    Yes because it is an expansion feature, you have to realize that they are expandingTHEIR game (serverside). The box you buy is merely a license that enables certain extra features.
    Hrmmmm... I could see it possibly that way. I'll have to think on that (really tired right now...) - but thx. ^_^
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  8. #8
    The Lightbringer Agoonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Again... isn't that technically false advertising then?

    - - - Updated - - -



    Hrmmmm... I could see it possibly that way. I'll have to think on that (really tired right now...) - but thx. ^_^
    I don't know how that stuff works, lol. But I remember seeing the trailer for WotLK that said "Dance Studio" as a feature.... and I'm still waiting for it, Blizzard!!!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas;24463991

    The thing that struck me is this... can this REALLY be called an expansion [I
    feature[/I] when it's 100% free with a patch?
    It isn't really an expansion feature. It's a new feature, that will arrive around the next expansion.

    Fairly sure they commented that they are not sure if they will have the models ready for launch, nor do they need to since it's not what the expansion is about. The models have been WIP for a pretty long time. Their completion just happens to coincide with the end of an expansion, but will probably be released whenever they're ready. (be that by launch, or two patches in)


    Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.



  10. #10
    Over 9000! Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    9,805
    inb4 "if you pay $$$ for them, hur hur hur"



    At any rate... We'll have to see what they reveal after new year's, and when the expansion is set to roll out.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  11. #11
    The indication they gave was that they would be updated for everyone, but that you might have the ability to toggle whether you see the new or old models.

  12. #12
    The Patient Kelthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hugging Trees in Ashenvale
    Posts
    307
    I would be shocked if they weren't. And like everyone said, the other races have gotten around to being free. So yes, I'd imagine they will be available from launch.

  13. #13
    People somehow got the wrong idea of what false advertising is and claim something is as such way too often. Even if they said new models were included without the expac and then they weren't it wouldn't be false advertising. Just like the dance studio that was in the commercials and then scrapped wasn't false advertising. Or the original manual that says dwarfs could be mages. Games like this have A LOT more wiggle room.

    You aren't paying for a particular feature, you're paying for continued access to the game. False advertising is more accurately called deceptive advertising. It takes a pretty blatant false claim made for the sole purpose of increasing sales that would have otherwise not occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •