Poll: Do you want respawnable Chests on Timeless Isle?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Timeless Isle's Biggest Flaw IMO

I'll skip right to the point I seriously dislike that other than a handful of chests they are all one time only. I enjoy treasure hunting and occasionally finding myself in the vicinity of a rare mob or rare hunting and finding a random chest. The chest locations aren't dynamic, once you've done them once the challenge behind finding them greatly diminishes.

Some Suggestions:

After finding all chests you essentially phase into a competitive stage where random chests spawn but it's first come first serve. PvP servers could even universally flag someone while they are opening a chest leaving them vulnerable to same & opposite faction assaults. If a player hasn't been assaulted by the time the chest is open then the player becomes unflagged and only has to worry about opposite faction assaults. Pve servers could have a 1 minute timer start on a chest after it has been looted before it vanishes giving others a chance to loot it, perhaps with a loot limit.

Rare Mobs drop Keys - The Zone could have included a variety of rare chests in a large variety of locations only unlock-able after getting the appropriate key. This could either be first come first serve or individually phased.

Daily Hidden item quests - along your travels throughout the island you could find npc's looking for specific rare items that can be found either from random drop chance or physically finding their spawn location.(That one npc kind of does this but in my experience I generally come across the items without even meaning too)

(PvP Only)Bounty Hunter
    Repeatable bounty hunter quest where you are instructed to hunt down and kill specific players on the timeless isle(if the player leaves, the quest will change dynamically to instruct you to hunt down someone actively on TI. The more people you hunt the more likely you will be chosen as a target for others!!).

(PvP Only, maybe PvE too) Rare Mob Allegiance - You can choose one Rare mob on the entire island to pledge allegiance to and whenever you enter the vicinity of that chosen rare mob you will become allied with it and become hostile against all of those who engage them. You will be able to loot other players you help defeat!!

Let me know what you think of my ideas and I encourage you to talk about your own!!!
    Last edited by Yimereh; 2013-12-27 at 04:17 AM.

some good ideas but TI just doesnt need to have that much stuff to do imo

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the feedback, and I know TI is more or less a catch-up mechanic but to me it really is a fun way to waste time and collect alt gear. Once you've collected all the chests you lose that exploration aspect and are stuck chasing rares and farming rep(when has this ever been fun). Once you've exhausted the chests the only mystery is rare mob mechanics which takes very little time to master. If this were a raid it would be the equivalent to only being allowed to kill the bosses once and every trip back afterwards only allowed you kill the trash which just gave RNG to gather your gear.

The Timeless isle is built around the chest system and only having 6 non-dynamic chests appear on a weekly basis is a complete insult. I do applaud Blizzard's direction however and believe they are headed in the right direction.

While the others don't seem like they'd honestly add much to the island, the idea of Rare Mob Allegiance is pretty damn cool.

Unfortunately, it would require rare mobs to not die within 6 to 7 seconds to mean anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    While the others don't seem like they'd honestly add much to the island, the idea of Rare Mob Allegiance is pretty damn cool.

Unfortunately, it would require rare mobs to not die within 6 to 7 seconds to mean anything.
    Thank you for your feedback!

I'm on one of the connected realms so generally, other than the lesser rares, the bigger guys don't die within seconds. I'm not sure how it is on more populated realms, but even 1-2 people with allegiance to the more powerful rares would make them even more interesting. Player adds would be a fun addition. I do like the idea of bounty hunting for the sake of a unique way to treasure hunt except with players(maybe collect ears like in diablo). Perhaps a player could be set to yellow(where you can attack or let them be) once he decides to become a bounty hunter where other players know he's only out for 1 person at a time and can choose to be proactive against a potential threat.

I find the biggest flaw to be how much of a joke the isle is on warlock compared to a warrior (or other melee toon for that matter).

Giant frontal fire AOE attack, lol voidwalker can eat that, np.
    600k breath attack, lol voidwalker can eat that, np.
    large pool of AOE, lol voidwalker can eat that,np.

Giant frontal fire AOE attack, warrior dies.
    600k breath attack, warrior dies.
    large pool of AOE, 29k damage every second im in it,np.

If it wasn't for the fact that "going to need a bigger bag" achievement requires everything to be looted on the one toon I would just farming everything on my alt warlock instead of my warrior which is my main.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    I find the biggest flaw to be how much of a joke the isle is on warlock compared to a warrior (or other melee toon for that matter).

Giant frontal fire AOE attack, lol voidwalker can eat that, np.
    600k breath attack, lol voidwalker can eat that, np.
    large pool of AOE, lol voidwalker can eat that,np.

Giant frontal fire AOE attack, warrior dies.
    600k breath attack, warrior dies.
    large pool of AOE, 29k damage every second im in it,np.

If it wasn't for the fact that "going to need a bigger bag" achievement requires everything to be looted on the one toon I would just farming everything on my alt warlock instead of my warrior which is my main.
    Honestly, melee has some seriously harsh mechanics on some bosses. Ranged gets far to much of an advantage on fights like Cinder. This flaw you speak of though has been present in WoW since its inception and unfortunately I don't see that ending anytime soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Yimereh View Post
    Honestly, melee has some seriously harsh mechanics on some bosses. Ranged gets far to much of an advantage on fights like Cinder. This flaw you speak of though has been present in WoW since its inception and unfortunately I don't see that ending anytime soon .
    some of the mechanics I don't even have time to dodge as melee, if I am off on the timing by even a fraction of a second, I'm dead.
    If the abilities had longer CDs so they came out a bit slower and further apart or did half my health in damage rather than all of it I might live a few seconds longer.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

That's just something which they can't really fix. And I'm pretty sure Blizz would say that pet classes are designed to be better at the open world stuff.

Sort of like the brawler's guild and proving grounds, they don't need to make it balanced, they just need to make sure every class can kill everything. There's not a single thing on the Isle which isn't killable by melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    some of the mechanics I don't even have time to dodge as melee, if I am off on the timing by even a fraction of a second, I'm dead.
    If the abilities had longer CDs so they came out a bit slower and further apart or did half my health in damage rather than all of it I might live a few seconds longer.
    Haha my paladin(who was ret at the time) was my first Timeless Isle toon and honestly repair bills always outweighed my gains and I gradually lost money. Once I went holy my experience became far more respected and appreciated. I could also avoid these ridiculous assaults, if Blizzard is going to include such consequential abilities with, as you pointed out, nearly no time to react it should at least be used against both ranged and melee to remain completely fair even if extremely difficult. Cinder casts that ability so damn fast upon seeing the animation and if you get hit by it then gg, except for ranged who can attack beyond his hit radius.

biggest problem with timeless isle, even if you know what spawns next, there's a chance that you won't be able to get to it before it dies. Say for an example you know Huolon -> ship -> evermaw will spawn. There's a chance that if you're at huolon you can't make ship. It's upsetting /
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    That's just something which they can't really fix. And I'm pretty sure Blizz would say that pet classes are designed to be better at the open world stuff.

Sort of like the brawler's guild and proving grounds, they don't need to make it balanced, they just need to make sure every class can kill everything. There's not a single thing on the Isle which isn't killable by melee.
    I would agree if the consequence of being melee wasn't in the form of gold, which in terms of TI it completely is. Three melee users all wear plate which yields the highest repair cost amongst armor types, which at this point is completely pointless seeing as all classes with less armor have some form of compensation

"PvP servers could even universally flag someone while they are opening a chest leaving them vulnerable to same & opposite faction assaults."
    This is where I stopped reading. This is an awful idea, incredibly so. Not everybody who is on a PvP server wants to PvP 24/7. Not all PvPers want that high level risk while doing simple PvE content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Facerockker View Post
    "PvP servers could even universally flag someone while they are opening a chest leaving them vulnerable to same & opposite faction assaults."
    This is where I stopped reading. This is an awful idea, incredibly so. Not everybody who is on a PvP server wants to PvP 24/7. Not all PvPers want that high level risk while doing simple PvE content.
    I apologize for the fact you've been turned off of this idea but honestly at this point there aren't any challenging respawnable chests so what I'm suggesting is keep the initial personal chests to help people gear, and once they have found them all they enter the competitive chest phase(at least on PvP servers). Considering there aren't any random chests beyond the initial ones this is at least a better option and if you don't want to PvP you can either stealth retrieve them or avoid them at all costs.

I don't mean that every time you come across a chest dedicated to you that you should be flagged, that would be stupid and not allow players to gather gear to be competitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are some fabulous ideas. I don't PvP, but that bounty hunter idea seems pretty ace. I kinda hate that once you get all the chests, about the only things to do are farm rares ad nauseam or spend an extremely long time grinding out rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Yimereh View Post
    I would agree if the consequence of being melee wasn't in the form of gold, which in terms of TI it completely is. Three melee users all wear plate which yields the highest repair cost amongst armor types, which at this point is completely pointless seeing as all classes with less armor have some form of compensation
    I'm pretty sure all armor has the same repair bills now. Which is sort of redundant when you don't die anyways.

The only mob which is annoying as melee is cinder fall. The rest, aren't particularly challenging. Not to mention, you don't have to fight every mob type.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Those are some fabulous ideas. I don't PvP, but that bounty hunter idea seems pretty ace. I kinda hate that once you get all the chests, about the only things to do are farm rares ad nauseam or spend an extremely long time grinding out rep.
    Thank you!!

I completely agree and it is the main reason I get burnt out from Timeless Isle. Finding chests is fun, having an addon that tells you where every single chest is without fail though just defeats this purpose. To be honest I blame Blizzard for not including more dynamic chest locations and having a large variety so that even if you can have an addon showing you all the chest locations, they at least aren't guaranteed and require some luck like herbalism and mining.

10+ Year Old Account
    while i agree with a lot of what you are saying....you need to remember. timless isle has been an experiment. it was pretty much a rough draft. if they expand on this idea even a little bit in warlords i think its going to be amazing. from the little i played at blizzcon, i can somewhat tell they are blowing it out a bit more. imagine timeless isle....but on the entire continent. thats what they are going for next.

random world "events" that just happen similar to other games. i hope blizzard gives it their own spin and makes it awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    I'm pretty sure all armor has the same repair bills now. Which is sort of redundant when you don't die anyways.

The only mob which is annoying as melee is cinder fall. The rest, aren't particularly challenging. Not to mention, you don't have to fight every mob type.
    Cinderfall is a pretty regular strong rare with high drop potential and as melee trying to gear he gives you no room for error. Even if the repair cost is the same, the way durability functions is still subject considering melee has a much higher % chance of being hit which causes durability loss. Repair bills have always been higher for melee in the majority of scenarios and that kind of sucks because there really isn't a fair trade off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    while i agree with a lot of what you are saying....you need to remember. timless isle has been an experiment. it was pretty much a rough draft. if they expand on this idea even a little bit in warlords i think its going to be amazing. from the little i played at blizzcon, i can somewhat tell they are blowing it out a bit more. imagine timeless isle....but on the entire continent. thats what they are going for next.

random world "events" that just happen similar to other games. i hope blizzard gives it their own spin and makes it awesome.
    I agree, I have faith that they will expand on this but I think it is important to include some feedback to give them better direction. These may not be the official forums but Blizz reps do frequent these forums and I find the Blizz forums to be more or less uncivilized in regards to player feedback.

I must say, I nearly dismissed this as most suggestions almost anywhere are truly horrid. Your bounty hunter concept, among others, is really great. An engaging way to promote PvP, without it being forced down anyone's throat. I like the concept of Rare Mob allegiance, but feel it would probably be a real hassle. Does the rare get buffed or do players burn it down if they aren't killed/cc'd quickly? Nice early concepts however. I also agree one time chests are just... lacking.
    Stay salty my friends.