Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,604
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Who says those abilities have to be significant dps to be folded into the profession? Only you. Well they don't have to be. So yes I am correct.
    Um, because any DPS ability placed into a profession provides a DPS increase. So if Blizzard allowed you to construct Gazlowe's charging laser within Engineering at level 100, everyone would be rerolling to Engineering for the DPS increase regardless of how small it would actually be.

    This is the reason Blizzard has been removing weapon abilities from the Engineering profession, and didn't add any new ones for MoP.

    The point is, there's a big dividing line between the Engineering profession and a potential tech-based class. One can handle abilities derived from Tinker heroes and bosses, one cannot.

  2. #22
    Herald of the Titans Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,853
    No, no, we've heard about Tinker many times. We need something original! Something we haven't seen discussed before...

    Like Dragonsworn! They could use the power of each Aspect! Or Timewalker! There's already 3 specs if you look at the Timeless Isle NPCs!


  3. #23
    When i was first playing I had an idea for a class
    Understand that i had no idea what lore was, and this class wouldn't even remotely fit in with anything. I just liked to draw out the moves.

    I imagined an 'aura' or a sort of pink fluid that sort of wormed around the user, like a mana worm, but not an animal. Every time the user made a move, i imagined the aura moving about and becoming the move, and then moving back to the user.

    For example, it could flatten itself to make a shield, or shoot away from the user like bullets. I had a blast drawing out these ideas, but was immediately shot down when i presented them to the suggestions forum. In hindsight, this is completely justified, because the idea never fit and didn't have a huge amount of merit.

  4. #24
    Herald of the Titans Humbugged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    2,934
    Theres plenty of classes that existed in Warcraft's history that don't make an appearance in WoW, you can check some of Warcraft's resources or the non-canon RPG books for an idea on what else is out there. Off the top of my head:

    Runemaster which is like a battlemage/monk and inscribes magic into their skin like tattoos. http://www.wowwiki.com/Runemaster

    Necromancer which was the planned class for Wrath of the Lich King but later scrapped for Death Knight http://www.wowwiki.com/Necromancer

    http://www.wowwiki.com/RPG_classes

    I wouldn't take much ideas from player concept classes because people often bring to their class elements of other RPGs like Final Fantasy that don't fit in with WoW, best to stick with the ideas of Blizzard themselves.
    Proud defender of Animal Rights, vegetarian, donor + volunteer
    "It is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done" - Harriet Beecher Stowe

  5. #25
    Herald of the Titans Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,853
    @Speech500, I think that's actually a pretty cool idea, tbh. We have plenty of "pet" classes but no classes that truly operate by proxy in a symbiotic sense like that. It would be sort of like a BM Hunter, except you lose all your "weapons" when your "pet" dies, since it is your weapons. The visual alone would be striking, unique, and really cool.

    That said, it would be hard to fit it into the current system as a true full class. But it would make a neat revamp of the Arcane spec, for example, if Mages were getting overhauled.

  6. #26
    Field Marshal Logiks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nowhereland
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Actarius View Post
    and a warrior into a bard.
    lolwut

    /10

  7. #27
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    No, no, we've heard about Tinker many times. We need something original! Something we haven't seen discussed before...

    Like Dragonsworn! They could use the power of each Aspect! Or Timewalker! There's already 3 specs if you look at the Timeless Isle NPCs!

    Yeah, the problem with Dragonsworn is that some classes are already Dragonsworn. Additionally, Dragonsworn isn't a class in of itself, usually you have a Warrior or a Mage who swear their loyalty to a Dragonflight.

  8. #28
    I've kinda thought that the Spellbreaker from WC3 could make a cool class. They wear mail but have heavy shields. Their kit is spell based but heavy anti magic.

    Honestly though, a ranged dps is really what would be needed. Two melee classes have been added but melee is already over populated. I don't differentiate between physical and caster dps in this regard.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    @Speech500, I think that's actually a pretty cool idea, tbh. We have plenty of "pet" classes but no classes that truly operate by proxy in a symbiotic sense like that. It would be sort of like a BM Hunter, except you lose all your "weapons" when your "pet" dies, since it is your weapons. The visual alone would be striking, unique, and really cool.

    That said, it would be hard to fit it into the current system as a true full class. But it would make a neat revamp of the Arcane spec, for example, if Mages were getting overhauled.
    Speech500's idea is similar to something I posted on the official forums a few years back regarding Demonology Warlocks; rather than becoming a Demon (bleh) the Warlock would rely mostly on her Demon for damage and defence. Of course, every little kid wanted to turn into a Demon, and so history was written.

    I also posted an idea whereby a Warlock could enslave and trap any world Demon in a prison and bring it out for combat later (like in a raid). I'd love to have a Satyr as a slave; unfortunately Blizzard didn't implement that idea either.
    Felguard/Wrathguard Weapon Pageant

    "Tell them only that Kael'thas is dead...and that Illidan Stormrage...died with him...for this setback, we were NOT prepared..."

  10. #30
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyptheria View Post
    Speech500's idea is similar to something I posted on the official forums a few years back regarding Demonology Warlocks; rather than becoming a Demon (bleh) the Warlock would rely mostly on her Demon for damage and defence. Of course, every little kid wanted to turn into a Demon, and so history was written.

    I also posted an idea whereby a Warlock could enslave and trap any world Demon in a prison and bring it out for combat later (like in a raid). I'd love to have a Satyr as a slave; unfortunately Blizzard didn't implement that idea either.
    Warlocks do all of that now in the game. And you can enslave Satyrs using enslave demon.

    This thread highlights just how limited the remaining class options really are, and gives credence to a tinker/tech-class being the final class implemented into the game. Anything else simply overlaps with existing classes far too much to be a viable option.

  11. #31
    Want something weird - focus in the missing zones:

    Tank (X) Melee ( ) Ranged
    Heal ( ) Melee (X) Ranged
    DPS (X) Melee (X) Ranged

    I've worked out a melee healer idea based on the original fantasy 'true' healer (that doesn't use mana).

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyptheria View Post
    Speech500's idea is similar to something I posted on the official forums a few years back regarding Demonology Warlocks; rather than becoming a Demon (bleh) the Warlock would rely mostly on her Demon for damage and defence. Of course, every little kid wanted to turn into a Demon, and so history was written.

    I also posted an idea whereby a Warlock could enslave and trap any world Demon in a prison and bring it out for combat later (like in a raid). I'd love to have a Satyr as a slave; unfortunately Blizzard didn't implement that idea either.
    I would've rathered warlocks have a pet demon and for demonology literally dissolve and "possess" the demons body, rather than a transformation. That would leave the whole metamorphosis kit open for demon hunters. I just think they've given warlocks way too much DH flavor to fit it in without having to like take shit away from them. They could do it if they really wanted, and it would probably be similar to how paladins and priests seem related, but they would have to add a lot more to DH's than what we know that needs to be fresh and sets them apart from warlocks.

    All that being said, I'd take a tinker over DH any day. Just imagine if the gameplay was like the 'tinker' things in the Engineering profession... super fun. I think they fucked up by making Engineering a trade skill instead of a class, and I would be willing to bet they would take it back if they could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    I like turtles. I would like turtle-based tier sets. I would like a turtle shell helmet, and perhaps a cheeseburger backpack and a chestpiece that simply places a red gemstone on my bellybutton.

  13. #33
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,604
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Want something weird - focus in the missing zones:

    Tank (X) Melee ( ) Ranged
    Heal ( ) Melee (X) Ranged
    DPS (X) Melee (X) Ranged

    I've worked out a melee healer idea based on the original fantasy 'true' healer (that doesn't use mana).
    There's already a Melee healer in WoW; Mistweaver Monks.

    What Blizzard could do is take an idea from Star Wars: The Old Republic and create a class that is a ranged tank, and a healer that doesn't use Mana. Again, both would fall under a Tinker/ Technology class concept, since Tinkers are about the only concept that can use ranged weapons and doesn't instantly overlap with Hunters, AND they don't use magic/mana.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    There's already a Melee healer in WoW; Mistweaver Monks.
    They don't melee heal.... my idea for a melee healer is literally that.

    No mana, no tinkers, no toys.... the original concept of a true healer was one that could do fundamentally two things:
    1. Heal themselves (happens inherently)
    2. Take wounds by touch from others
    in some cases they could also
    3. Deliver taken wounds to enemies.

  15. #35
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,604
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    All that being said, I'd take a tinker over DH any day. Just imagine if the gameplay was like the 'tinker' things in the Engineering profession... super fun. I think they fucked up by making Engineering a trade skill instead of a class, and I would be willing to bet they would take it back if they could.
    Check out the Tinker hero Gazlowe Rachet in Heroes of the Storm. He has an ability called Salvage. This ability causes his creations to leave scraps behind, which he can collect, store, and then use to enhance himself (reduce cooldowns, increase damage), or his creations.

    If that was brought over to WoW, you could salvage scraps from your own devices as well as various mechanical enemies to preserve that "tinker" aspect in class form.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    They don't melee heal....
    Yes they do. It's called Fistweaving, and it's being expanded, and given its own fighting stance in WoD.

    Your Melee healing concept is interesting, and certainly different than other healing specs. However, I don't see how that translates into a viable class concept.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2014-01-01 at 02:31 PM.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yes they do. It's called Fistweaving, and it's being expanded, and given its own fighting stance in WoD.
    No - they heal, whilst in melee with an enemy.

    I'm talking being in melee with the healing target.

  17. #37
    Herald of the Titans Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yes they do. It's called Fistweaving, and it's being expanded, and given its own fighting stance in WoD.
    FW is a crippled gimmick and it looks like they intend to keep it that way in WoD. It's like Atonement, something you can do situationally to exploit 500% damage bonuses or pick up DPS in lull phases, etc.

    The devs seem to view "true" MW healing as standing at 40 yards and channeling Soothing Mist. FW is an opportunity you capitalize on sometimes, like Fury dropping to Zerker to exploit high unavoidable raid damage.

    Basically, despite MoP's initial high vision, I don't think WoW truly has a "melee healer". We have a ranged healer that can sometimes do Melee Atonement when bored or exploiting a fight gimmick.

    I like @schwarkopf's idea in the sense of a Medic / Surgeon type, all gritty band-aids and sawbones stuff with zero "magic" involved, sprinting around the battlefield patching people up at close range. =) Yeah the current dev team / raid design could probably never balance it properly, but gawd, it sounds fun.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    No - they heal, whilst in melee with an enemy.

    I'm talking being in melee with the healing target.
    I quite like this concept. It's like playing a melee dps. You stick with your target only instead of staying on the enemies you stay on other players. It provides an interesting mechanic that's not really in the game already. The only problem is wouldnt this be a nightmare developing mechanics around. ie spread mechanics...

    I'm sure there is a solution to work around it but no doubt I'd seriously like to see something like this implemented.

  19. #39
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    FW is a crippled gimmick and it looks like they intend to keep it that way in WoD. It's like Atonement, something you can do situationally to exploit 500% damage bonuses or pick up DPS in lull phases, etc.
    Crippled gimmick or not, its still in the game. My point is that adding another healer into the game that is a melee healer wouldn't be something entirely new or novel.

    Additionally, we're talking about classes here, not specs. So I'd like to know what class Schwarkopf would have in mind to house this spec in.

  20. #40
    Herald of the Titans Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Crippled gimmick or not, its still in the game. My point is that adding another healer into the game that is a melee healer wouldn't be something entirely new or novel.
    Well, by that logic neither was adding Death Knight or Windwalker Monk since we already have melee DPS in the game. I think there's more flexibility at the "role" level vs. the concept level (f.ex Necromancer would seriously clash with Death Knight since they're both about skeletons and plagues).

    Additionally, we're talking about classes here, not specs. So I'd like to know what class Schwarkopf would have in mind to house this spec in.
    Really, it's vague enough that you could put it inside anyone and anything. All you need to do is justify the touch-range gimmick, which is easily imagined into almost any class concept since nothing in RPGs follows very stringent logic, haha.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •