Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Totally new player here

Hello!
    Bought Guild Wars 2 from the sale as christmas present to myself and spent couple of hours playing it and I must say that I am confused.
    I played Guild Wars 1 for almost whole of its existance, been playing WoW for more than 7 hours but I'm totaly lost in it. After doing first few events in the charr starting area I don't know what to do anymore, any help on that issue ? =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Explore like crazy! go to other cities like divinity's reach or rata sum and see the other starting areas, go to world vs world or craft stuff, the game is pretty much open for everything, if you wanna go to the other starting areas i recommend you going through the pvp tab and join the "heart of the mysts" there you'll find a portal to lion's arch which is like the "main hub" then look for one of the racial starting areas
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

The game is mostly non linear. A good portion of the game is based on simply exploring, roaming and hopping across the zones.

There are breadcrumbs in the form your personal story, scouts and heart events to help lead you around the world in a micro sense in the case of the last two. In a more macro sense for the former.

Although as you advance in the game the degree & frequency of content pointers diminishes. Till you are just free roaming as you please.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-27 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chyrr View Post
    Hello!
    Bought Guild Wars 2 from the sale as christmas present to myself and spent couple of hours playing it and I must say that I am confused.
    I played Guild Wars 1 for almost whole of its existance, been playing WoW for more than 7 hours but I'm totaly lost in it. After doing first few events in the charr starting area I don't know what to do anymore, any help on that issue ? =)
    If you have ever played any RPG before, remember what those games are supposed to be like. They are NOT supposed to be simple little "on rails" games where you follow a defined path doing exactly the same thing every time. They are supposed to have freedom, you are supposed to feel like you are the one living the story, not like you are visting a theme park dedicated to a hero that came before you.

So, do like the hero did in Kung Fu, and "walk the earth". See what you find, kill what you don't like. Enjoy the sights, enjoy the combat. Enjoy the sense of danger. Learn that it is possible for levelling in a game to be enjoyable, rather than something to be rushed through as fast as possible. The journey is a big thing in this game, so relax and enjoy it.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyrr View Post
    After doing first few events in the charr starting area I don't know what to do anymore, any help on that issue ? =)
    While everyone's advice to 'just do whatever' is mostly sound, it seems like you need a specific set of rules to help you out. This should help: The first zone you get sent to, aim for map completion. This means you need to complete all of the hearts, find all of the vistas, do all the skill pts, etc. The map is your friend. Once you have completed something it will changed to being colored in on your map. The map tells you how many of each activity type you have in that zone. Once you have completed the map, you can move on to the connecting zone.

Once you have the hang of the game, you can start to follow your personal story through the zones. It will tell you where to go, then you enter a solo instance and complete a 'quest'. Once you are used to those things, you will probably be comfortable enough to do what you want.

A couple of things though: You will be downscaled in any zones lower level than you. This means you can go to another race's starting zone to quest and still get adequate XP. Unfortunately you do not scale up, so make sure to not go to higher level zones unless you really want a challenge.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...u-have-to-know
    A link to an old thread by me (the 2nd thread i ever made on mmo-c), can give you a little idea on what to do, it talks about dinamic events and how "shallow" some people say they are, but the issue I tried to show on that post was the mentality we're used to from the other classic mmo's, the exclamation mark syndrome.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

A good start is just to aim for map completion and do whatever you want to do when you come across it while completing the maps. You can break off for dungeons or PvP too.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    A good start is just to aim for map completion and do whatever you want to do when you come across it while completing the maps. You can break off for dungeons or PvP too.
    But the first dungeon aren't until lvl 30 right?
    I'm new to, lvl 29 atm, and I haven't been able to join a dungeon (what I know of anyway).

Yep first one is level 30. All the dungeons have two modes. A story version, for the first one that is Ascalon Catacombs at level 30 and it dovetails in with what happens in your personal story about that level. Then there are explorable paths which except for one path in Twilight Arbor are set at a difficulty of five levels above the difficulty of the story mode. The explorable modes have different storylines than the story version did. Also I can't remember for sure but I think there is a new dungeon available every 10 levels from level 30 onward.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Also, map completion for the capital cities, no enemies to fight, just some nooks and crannies to explore, still gives xp and a completion bonus.

Does one need a MMO keyboard like the one with 16 programmable macro buttons? or will a regular keyboard do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolatez View Post
    Does one need a MMO keyboard like the one with 16 programmable macro buttons? or will a regular keyboard do?
    A regular keyboard is fine. In fact, macros are not allowed under the User Agreement so a macro keyboard is rather useless.
    Valar morghulis

Doesn't ANet license a programmable keyboard through Steelseries?

I somewhat doubt there would be any repercussions for using your KBM macro software. And if so... well, what.

All macros are against the tos, even mouse/keyboard macros.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Deleted
    Technically, macros aren`t against the ToS.

You can use macros, as long as each macro only represents one key press.

Kind of makes me wonder if anet know what macros are for

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    Technically, macros aren`t against the ToS.

You can use macros, as long as each macro only represents one key press.

Kind of makes me wonder if anet know what macros are for
    Is this real? If so they just hurt my brain

Yes that's true, I use macros to bind my scroll wheel to different things since it's simply easier than rebinding the camera every time.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a detailed explanation by Gaile Gray of what is and what is not allowed regarding macros and other 3rd party programs:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...Boxing-Macros/
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Is this real? If so they just hurt my brain
    Yerp, all true.

If you think that`s odd, check out the multi boxing part lol.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post1532762

Oddly, I had quite a few randomers ask me if I was using macros in game, always wondered if it was devs, because they always turned up out of the blue, asked how I managed to cast so fast & easily, asked very little else & then buggered off again.
    Life of an ele I guess, you learn to hit things super fast, but then I do in all games eg:warcraft pvping, Magicka:Wizard Wars etc.
    Last edited by mmoca2c81d9292; 2014-01-04 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Here's a detailed explanation by Gaile Gray of what is and what is not allowed regarding macros and other 3rd party programs:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...Boxing-Macros/
    Ah, so you can use the GW2 programmable KB. You just have to use step or fail-through macros. Macro-ing single click functions is fine.

Just as I suspected.