Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I think it's more that kids aren't being raised properly anymore. On top of that, the school curriculum has removed so much information from what is being taught. My sister graduated HS about 4 years ago. I was just off-handedly talking to her about the Berlin Wall, and she looked at me and said, "Berlin Wall?". I about hit the floor. So much for 'World' History.
    I like this post. This is a nice fucking post.

Children seem unmotivated as FB and their phones has their main attention.
    And even after my highschool education i sometimes feel that i have missed fragments of our history. But I suppose that the years make topics more blurred, we also have more and more to remember as history grows seconds after our impact now. Have to forget about somethings someday.

Deleted
    How is the ethnic population of the school? out of curiousity

I would have a good laugh if the school was in Oakland county, although I would still have sincere doubts that 75% of any school's freshman class are outright failing.

Quote Originally Posted by uhohstd View Post
    Have any of you seen this in your own school systems? Does this reflect the upcoming generation?
    When I moved to Michigan in 1996 I thought that my middle school, my high school, and the community at large were full of spoiled white kids with an entitlement complex. Ok, so there were other ethnicities there too (okay not really, but they would have been spoiled as well)

I don't see anything new here.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2013-12-27 at 09:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PatB View Post
    I'm guessing you were not in that "top 50 with over a 4.0"
    Meh, last I checked I was ranked 28th with a 4.3.... The insane top 5 in my class all have over 5.0's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Meh, last I checked I was ranked 28th with a 4.3.... The insane top 5 in my class all have over 5.0's....
    isn't a 5.0 impossible or something? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    The SC grading scale is a bit different than other states and if a student gets high grades in Honors classes, like 100 or 99 they can get about a 5.375 with AP classes however i think they can get up to 5.875. Unlike other states the SC grading scale is more stringent for A's, B's and what not
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Some places are on a 5 scale. No idea how it works... does that make an "F" 1?

Some schools give slightly higher than 4.0 for honors classes. To separate the "straight A" students from "straight A honors students".

It's all screwed up.

Unless the high school has a wonky grading system (like what Aurimas mentioned, 5 scale) or the class requirements are really weird, then it is most likely impossible. Because I really seriously doubt that anyone can fill their entire schedule with AP and honors classes (especially in Freshman year).

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    The SC grading scale is a bit different than other states and if a student gets high grades in Honors classes, like 100 or 99 they can get about a 5.375 with AP classes however i think they can get up to 5.875. Unlike other states the SC grading scale is more stringent for A's, B's and what not
    Well, that definitely falls under weird grading system in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldNSilence View Post
    The decline of civilization has begun. People are being turned into cattle.
    I think it is the fault of leftist values. Standards drop or are lowered (because they're "discriminatory" to those who fail), excellence is no longer valued, there you go.

They should have tests on what rapper is the most hardcore and why, they will know answers for things like that.

I blame it more on the system as a whole. Instead of focusing on abstracts they need to focus on practical applications.

One of my favorite examples is calculus. As a subject matter its boring, tedious, and brain boggling for many people. However, when you see the practical applications of calculus and realize that its pretty much what has built this modern age of technology and engineering its awe inspiring.

This relates to HS as algebra/geometry and generally struggled with topics with many a students saying I'll never need this, not knowing that the majority of what is learned makes their everyday lives possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya it is kinda confusing but what can you do? I could write out the total list for grades if you want will take awhile though since there aren't any easy to make graphs in the reply box....

10+ Year Old Account
    When I came back from deployment a few years ago my niece asked me what part of Afghanistan Iraq was in. She finished high school as the valedictorian. I wasn't sure what to think of that really.

Society puts little to no emphasis on education and the educators are often the students who just wanted an easy job with summers off. People would rather talk about how they are going to become a millionare by singing or dancing or acting. This future generation will collapse as soon as all of the parents supporting them die and they are 50 and still living at home doing nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    I think it is the fault of leftist values. Standards drop or are lowered (because they're "discriminatory" to those who fail), excellence is no longer valued, there you go.
    I'd have to agree that teaching children that everyone is equal only teaches people not to work hard to succeed and be better than the trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    When I came back from deployment a few years ago my niece asked me what part of Afghanistan Iraq was in. She finished high school as the valedictorian. I wasn't sure what to think of that really.
    My class's valedictorian once asked me if the Nile river went through Egypt when we had US History together.... ahhh that class was so fun, telling people the wrong answers on clicker tests....

I'm use to people not knowing a fucking thing about deployments, getting most of their information from that horrendous movie "Hurt Locker", but that question from a valedictorian... the world may never know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I blame Apple, Battlefield and Rihanna for this mess.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    I'm use to people not knowing a fucking thing about deployments, getting most of their information from that horrendous movie "Hurt Locker", but that question from a valedictorian... the world may never know.
    Ugh, I hate the Hurt Locker so much. If I could unmake one movie from existence, just one, it would be the Hurt Locker.

Ugh, I hate the Hurt Locker so much. If I could unmake one movie from existence, just one, it would be the Hurt Locker.
    I would remake it starting at like 7 am when route clearance finds to IED and places the call, and then have the entire movie be EOD waking up at around 9 am, getting a nice big breakfast. Then they'd go to the rec center to play some halo real quick, because they need to get into the zone. From there they would finally leave around noon and at 3 pm they would arrive, drive up the robot and then blow up the IED out in the field, credits role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lazy students, plain and simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I think it's more that kids aren't being raised properly anymore. On top of that, the school curriculum has removed so much information from what is being taught. My sister graduated HS about 4 years ago. I was just off-handedly talking to her about the Berlin Wall, and she looked at me and said, "Berlin Wall?". I about hit the floor. So much for 'World' History.
    I can pretty much gaurantee you that they were taught about the Berlin wall

The funny thing is, students don't always remember everything that they were taught.

Like all the people confusing "Their, they're, and there," or "hear and here" or putting apostrophe s' in plurals... they were taught the difference. They just didn't think enough of it to remember it.

When I was in HS, the whole four years, we had all of ONE person drop out, and that was because his father passed away and he needed to take over the farm. My HS had about 500 people in it, 69 of which was my class. My sister's HS had something like 5,000 students, her graduating class was about 900, and JUST from what she and my mom told me, people were dropping out of there like flies. One year had over 200 students drop out. Wtf? I mean, I know school sucks and all, but NOT completing it will cause far more issues down the road than the minor inconvenience of completing it will. But nobody teaches kids this anymore, they just don't understand the value of an education.
    I attended a highschool with a graduating class of about 900; the school overall had about 4,000 students. Less than 1% of students dropped out. Over half of the student population took AP courses.

So obviously, "school size" is not a make-or-break issue.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.