Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

McD's internal employee resource website advises against eating at McD's

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/25/living...613mcdonalds4p

It seems that McDonald's has finally realized how tone-deaf its internal employee resource website was. It has shut it down.
    The final straw? A tip on the site to employees to avoid McDonald's fare.

A graphic on the site shows a meal with a cheeseburger, fries and drink under the caption "Unhealthy choice." Next to it is a picture of a sub, a salad and water under the caption "Healthier choice."

The latest embarrassment is among a string that's cropped up since the McResource Line website went live.

A McResource budget-planning guide for its employees was ridiculed in July for being out of touch.

"For starters, it didn't account for food and gasoline," CNNMoney reported. "The second line on the sample budget leaves room for income from a second job, which many called an admission by the fast food giant that its workers can't live on its wages alone."

And then earlier this month, NBC News reported that the site offered a guide on how much one should tip a pool cleaner, housekeeper, and even an au pair.
    The only problem: The University of California Berkeley Labor Center and University of Illinois released a study in October that said 52% of families of fast food workers receive assistance from a public program like Medicaid, food stamps, the Earned Income Tax Credit or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.

The fast food giant found itself again having to deflect unwanted attention from its internal site this week after CNBC reported that McResource ostensibly advises McDonald's employees to not eat at McDonald's.

"Fast foods are quick, reasonably priced, and readily available alternatives to home cooking. While convenient and economical for a busy lifestyle, fast foods are typically high in calories, fat, saturated fat, sugar, and salt and may put people at risk for becoming overweight."

Visitors to McResource Line on Wednesday were greeted with this statement: "We are temporarily performing some maintenance in order to provide you with the best experience possible. Please excuse us while these upgrades are being made."

McDonald's confirmed the site had been taken down in a statement posted on its website. "A combination of factors has led us to re-evaluate and we've directed the vendor to take down the website. Between links to irrelevant or outdated information, along with outside groups taking elements out of context, this created unwarranted scrutiny and inappropriate commentary. None of this helps our McDonald's team members."
    So things McD's has personally acknowledged in some fashion or another:

McD's food is unhealthy.
    It expects employees to have a second job to sustain themselves.
    It expects employees to receive government benefits to sustain themselves.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/25/living...613mcdonalds4p

So things McD's has personally acknowledged in some fashion or another:

McD's food is unhealthy.
    2 out of those 3 are probably just the US

no
    no

have you seen their internal website? no
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Deleted
    Minimum wage is enough to live on in the UK if you are frugal.

Deleted
    McD's food is unhealthy.
    Who thought otherwise?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    But that's existing, not living. I hated having to live on minimum wage, no matter how short a period of time it was.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thomolithic View Post
    But that's existing, not living. I hated having to live on minimum wage, no matter how short a period of time it was.
    But it is enough to live, you call it existing but only because your own personal standards are so high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even in the busier cities, like London? Typically in the US, exactly where you live can be the difference between minimum wage being sustainable and having it be a gradually deteriorating state.

Deleted
    But it is enough to live, you call it existing but only because your own personal standards are so high.

id say that depends on location, you'd struggle on min wage in London and most of the south east, mostly due to rent being incredibly high, but the north and the south west you could live no problem on min wage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course they can recommend against it. Any doctor would.

Unfortunately, however, McDonalds-type food is really the only thing that McDonalds employees can afford, so...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    How embarrassing. I'll be somebody lost a job over that.

15+ Year Old Account
    If only it was enough to exist on in the US. Here you have to get assistance from the government to even exist.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no, McDonald's isn't a healthy choice?! All these years... NO ONE TOLD ME.

Next they'll tell me cigarettes don't make me look cool and are bad for my health.
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    no
    no

have you seen their internal website? no
    The McD's internal website has resources that point employees in the direction of getting government assistance.
    Under the budget section, it gives an income level that assumes a second job.
    And in this article, it has pictures of McD's food and labels it as "unhealthy choice".

I don't feel like looking, what is minimum wage there?

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat what you want as much as you want, stop listening to retarded fucks telling you how to live your life like a dumb retarded sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Last I checked, around £5.80 per hour or so? May have gone up since I last looked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

£6.31 ($10.39) an hour if you are over the age of 21.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasireea View Post
    Even in the busier cities, like London? Typically in the US, exactly where you live can be the difference between minimum wage being sustainable and having it be a gradually deteriorating state.
    Yeah at least around here its impossible to live on minimum wage in a safe part of the city without government assistance. It's easy in a bad area or the suburbs though
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.