Poll: Do you think it's too hard to get started with a class ?

Deleted

Do you think it's too hard to get started with a class ?

I actually have 5 lv90 chars, but despite this, I only play ONE of them and never really played any other, each time i get to 90 with a class it just feels like a giant wall to climb, I have to bind tons of spells and macros (Because i'm almost only playing on PvP) and also to learn to play the class - I don't feel like being unnable to do it, but it's just a mountain of things to do before really starting to play the toon in question. It's not that I don't want to play the char but i'm too much of a lazy ass to do all theses things.

So, I'm almost sure that i'm not the only one in that case, but I wanted to have an idea of what do you think about it : do you think it's too hard to get started with a class ?

This One's hard to answer because there are so many different types of players for WoW. I could pick up and play any class at 90 and play it at 90% efficiency within 30 minutes for instance. But that's not typical and I've played video games most my life.

One thing I will say: the inability to do anything that looks close to a max level rotation until you get to like 80 doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    One thing I will say: the inability to do anything that looks close to a max level rotation until you get to like 80 doesn't help.
    There are exceptions; shadowpriests are good to go at like 64.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

I think its pretty easy to pick up a class and start playing well enough in LFR at least.

No, but I do think it's too difficult to make that transition from leveling -> max level PVE content because of all the spells that you have to bind.

10+ Year Old Account
    This One's hard to answer because there are so many different types of players for WoW. I could pick up and play any class at 90 and play it at 90% efficiency within 30 minutes for instance. But that's not typical and I've played video games most my life.

Protection Warrior is amazing by 46 or so. You have shield slam, revenge, devastate, deep wounds, etc. At 60 you're a full-fledged 'lol@dps' monster.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've leveled every class to max level at least once and I haven't had much trouble learning the rotations and basic grasp in PvP.

The technique I use to learn classes quickly is by using the same binds on every character with the binds being almost on the same spot on every character I have.

For example my main CC ability is always bound to V, while my burst CDs are always bound to shift-2, shift-4 and shift-5. My minor/low cooldown burst CDs are usually bound to 4. Think of Tiger's Fury, Shadow Dance, Deep Freeze even. R is always a gap closer and F is always my interrupt bind. T is used for aoe CC/long CD CC like blind or psychic scream whole C is generally used for low CD defensives likes shields, barkskin etc.

Although on my monk C is Roll and on my rogue it's Kidney Shot, but that's just because I'm extremely used to those binds already. I've even tried to rebind my Kidney Shot to 4 like deep freeze and fists of fury, cloak to C and shadow dance to shift-E, but that's extremely difficult to get used to.

So no, I don't have much trouble getting started with a class. Of course some classes are a bit more difficult to learn than others. For example most issues I've had is with my mage and my priest. My priest specifically because none of the binds make sense to me. They don't have any consistant single target CC I can put on V, nor do they have a gap closer I can bind to R.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I think its pretty easy to pick up a class and start playing well enough in LFR at least.
    In PvE yes it is, because you only have to know your rotation, but as i precised i'm playing on PvP.
    And to play decently on PvP you have to know every mechanic and every counterplay relative to each class. Also implies having more binds needed than on PvE.
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2013-12-28 at 03:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    I've leveled every class to max level at least once and I haven't had much trouble learning the rotations and basic grasp in PvP.

The technique I use to learn classes quickly is by using the same binds on every character with the binds being almost on the same spot on every character I have.

For example my main CC ability is always bound to V, while my burst CDs are always bound to shift-2, shift-4 and shift-5. My minor/low cooldown burst CDs are usually bound to 4. Think of Tiger's Fury, Shadow Dance, Deep Freeze even. R is always a gap closer and F is always my interrupt bind. T is used for aoe CC/long CD CC like blind or psychic scream whole C is generally used for low CD defensives likes shields, barkskin etc.

Although on my monk C is Roll and on my rogue it's Kidney Shot, but that's just because I'm extremely used to those binds already. I've even tried to rebind my Kidney Shot to 4 like deep freeze and fists of fury, cloak to C and shadow dance to shift-E, but that's extremely difficult to get used to.

So no, I don't have much trouble getting started with a class. Of course some classes are a bit more difficult to learn than others. For example most issues I've had is with my mage and my priest. My priest specifically because none of the binds make sense to me. They don't have any consistant single target CC I can put on V, nor do they have a gap closer I can bind to R.
    I do this as well. Every class I play has the same keybinds for interrupts, for dps/tanking cooldowns, and several other 'cross class' kinds of keybindings. While eventually the differences force, er, differences in the keybindings, a lot carries over for almost all the toons I play and it makes it easier to switch around.

Deleted
    I'm also trying to bind spells ressembling at the ones of my main on the same bind but i still struggle with a bunch of spells for each class even though i also do not try enough, ding 90 > start binding > struggling with some bind and then i just disconnect like a lazy ass who I am.

This brings up a good point: LFR is awful for people understanding their rotation. Success or failure is never dependant on if you know your rotation or not, since there's 24 other people.

So you have no real way of telling if you're doing it right or wrong. IMO there's not enough in game indicators for if you are doing your rotation correct. The only in game indicator is basically being chewed out for performing poorly by a random person.

Admittedly there's no reason to force people to learn how to play their class, plenty in the game which doesn't require it, but it'd be nice if there was an in game method for showing people their rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    In PvE yes it is, because you only have to know your rotation, but as i precised i'm playing on PvP.
    And to play decently on PvP you have to know every mechanic and every counterplay relative to each class. Also implies having more binds needed than on PvE.
    Well, the same would be true to doing random BGs. DOn't expect to do well in arena on a fresh 90.

- - - Updated - - -

This brings up a good point: LFR is awful for people understanding their rotation. Success or failure is never dependant on if you know your rotation or not, since there's 24 other people.

So you have no real way of telling if you're doing it right or wrong. IMO there's not enough in game indicators for if you are doing your rotation correct. The only in game indicator is basically being chewed out for performing poorly by a random person.

Admittedly there's no reason to force people to learn how to play their class, plenty in the game which doesn't require it, but it'd be nice if there was an in game method for showing people their rotations.
    Its just a ladder, if you can do well enough in LFR, try out flex or normals. They also have Brawlers Guild and CM's, and the proving grounds. You become good with practice. I think its relatively easy to pick up a new class and do well in LFR and BGs. I think, like with anything, mastery or proficiency requires practice.

How do you think people became good in Vanilla? We didn't have most of the resources available today.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find I just have no interest in pursuing most classes once I hit max level. I think it comes down to play style more than anything. I was convinced I was going to love being a druid. Levelled two different druids so I could focus one on Boomy/Resto, the other Bear/Kitty. Turns out didn't really enjoy any of their play styles. Now I have two druids collecting dust. I made more priests because I figured 'hey, I like how those play' but never really pursued them either. Why play a lesser version of the one I have?

Then lightning struck and I levelled an enhancement shaman.

In no point of this game how I found myself this excited about an alt. Suddenly being this excited meant that all the work wasn't work. It was awesome. Binds, guides, talent swapping, glyphing, reforging, transmog, it was all fresh again. And I think it's because I really dig the play style. I don't even like melee, have steered clear for years, now suddenly I may have to go back and test out my kitty druid again. Who knows maybe I've grown as a person over the years?
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

Well, the same would be true to doing random BGs. DOn't expect to do well in arena on a fresh 90.

- - - Updated - - -

Its just a ladder, if you can do well enough in LFR, try out flex or normals. They also have Brawlers Guild and CM's, and the proving grounds. You become good with practice. I think its relatively easy to pick up a new class and do well in LFR and BGs. I think, like with anything, mastery or proficiency requires practice.

How do you think people became good in Vanilla? We didn't have most of the resources available today.
    What I was basically trying to say about the problem with LFR is you have no real gauge to tell how well or poorly you are doing. The outcome of the fight has very little, if you play dps especially, with how well you did. (BGs are similar to this as well)

Its not really an indictment of LFR, its just that without something like recount or other addons, there is no way to tell if you are playing correctly with that many other people. Its the opposite with standing in bad for instance. You die to sending in bad and its pretty obvious (Durumu death beam for instance). You fail your rotation and....... nothing obvious happens.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember or memorize what each spell do and you'll be fine. After returning from a long break in WoW I was able to heal LFR on my 90 pala with no hassle.

My main reason is getting the gear to later raid or pvp later. If you give me a character with gear I can easily play them. The catch up to current for a new character is what sucks for me. I miss battle for barrens. Nice gear cap closer.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.