10+ Year Old Account

laptop won't work spilled liquid.

My mom spilled diet coke all over my laptop and now it won't work. It's windows 8, and when I turn it on it stays on the hp screen for ever and won't Co anything else. I can hear the fan working. Is there anything I can try.

By the Way I am doing this over the phone.

Wow I'm surprised it got to there, take it apart and clean it if you can, but most likely it got pwned and GG'd out.

That's the reason why I never drink diet!

Deleted
    Unfortunately I did something similar in the past, nothing could be done except to replace my keyboard, track pad and motherboard I think which cost a total of €400. It was a Dell XPS 15. A Warranty doesn't usually cover accidental damage so unless you have accident insurance, I'm sorry to say it will probably be something that will cost you to fix.

Like others have said you could give a shot at drying it out, but I know from my experience coke will leave a sticky residue inside the laptop, that will be a problem.
    Last edited by mmoc04aeeea26b; 2013-12-28 at 09:27 PM. Reason: More info

Deleted
    open it up, dry of all components, this is something you should have done right from the beginning, after the coke was spilled, as u can short circuit the mobo if u turn it on if its wet

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    The worst thing you can do is turn the laptop on without it having at least 2-3 days to dry. Get a fan or non-direct heater and put the laptop so it could potentially drain away any liquid. Than 2-3 days later take it apart and clean everything than try starting it up. Unfortunately if you tried turning it on while still wet or if it has not had time to dry the damage has already been done.

Best of luck

~Spazzer

10+ Year Old Account
    So it just started working out of no where.