Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Garrosh Fire Mage Guide

Hey guys, I've never posted anything on mmo-champion but I decided to post this to help out the community.
    When I was progressing on Heroic Garrosh, I could not find a single 10m Heroic Garrosh "Fire" Mage POV video.
    Only arcane PoVs.
    If you play fire spec properly, you can pull higher dps than arcane.

Here's my Youtube vid

Some tips for Heroic Garrosh as a Fire Mage

1) NEVER use Inferno Blast when people are mind controlled [assuming they're near the boss]. If you use inferno blast, you will spread your dots [pyroblast/ignite/combustion] and they will still take those dot damage even after they come out of mind control. Be very very careful, I've accidentally spread my combustion in phase 3, and killed my raid member in 2 seconds after they came out of MC.

2) Before you go into the 1st transition phase, have both pyroblast! and heating up! proc up to burst down the adds. This isn't normal. Heroic transition phase adds have much higher HP than normal adds. Fire probably has the weakest burst out of all 3 specs, but if you have both pyroblast and heating up proc before going into the 1st transition phase, you should be fine.

3) Always use your combustion with at least one trinket is active. When your trinket[s] proc, your int will be very high for 10~20s which means higher chance and higher crit. Your ignite dot will be much higher, so your combustion dmg will be much higher. As you can see in the video, my combustion was always used when immerseus trinket was procced.

4) DO NOT attack the boss during the roleplay of Phase 3. You do not want your trinkets to proc going into phase 4. There's about 20s Roleplay between phase 3 and phase 4. In my video, I failed to do this and my Immerseus trinket was on CD at the start of phase 4.

My roll in my raid was just to sit behind boss and dps. I could've done this fight pretty well as arcane but didn't feel like playing a boring spec for a month on Garrosh [sorry if I offended any arcane players]. Also, Fire is much better in phase 4, when you have to run from end to end.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but frost is far behind fire/arcane in this fight.

Hope this helps! and
    Happy Holidays
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2013-12-30 at 03:34 PM.

I did it on our kill as frost and peaked at #3 on our boss damage (behind bear tank and enh shaman) through phase 4 until someone murdered me with a bonus malice tick. Fire's probably the better spec, but not by a vast margin, I just loathe playing fire.

Deleted
    Decent video, but improper combustion timings throughout. Also, not a single use of Greater invis, and a flamestrike -> ae in p2 intermission would've been better for doubt dps. About dps on MC'd people i would also beg to differ. Spreading dots is fine since MCs don't clash with imminent whirlings and aslong as your healers are ready with a shield and dispels / nobody stuns them you'll be fine. I'd also advise in tracking your warrior's skull banner.

Merry Christmas
    Last edited by mmoc6d2862388d; 2013-12-29 at 05:11 PM.

My talent was cauterize instead of greater invis.
    Spreading dots was a huge problem for my guild progression.
    Maybe your guild healers worked it out with spreading dots, but mine did not.
    I've killed people 4 times in phase 3 [kind a hard to get to phase 3 during progression], so we decided not to use my dot dmg to them.
    Your correct about using flamestrike for p2 transition phase.
    My first combustion is definitely wrong, but I decided to go with quick pyro-chains instead of setting it all up [9 pyro-chains]. Killing adds [1st set of adds] was our first priority for 1st set of adds. Somtimes 9 pyro-chains, but the kill video I posted does not have that.
    Looks like you have cha-ye = almost 20k crit. So you probably had no problem setting up 9 pyro chains. I had about 18k crit before getting my heroic black blood trinket, and sometimes things don't crit well.
    I'm not saying all my combustions are correct, some combustions used in that video are definitely not the best. However, using a proper combustion without trinket procs is worse than using an improper combustion with trinket proc. Not my idea, but people in Asian servers who write novels about dps rotations concluded it. I had situations where 4~5s left on trinket proc, so I decided to use ~3 pyro chain combustion with trinket proc rather than 4~5 pyro chain combustion without a trinket proc.

Tracking a skull banner is also something that I need to do
    Thanks for criticizing and commenting on my video.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe cuz of your ilvl? At lower ilvl frost might be equal with fire.
    I was number 1 on boss damage as fire spec [higher than warrior tank]
    I'm at ilvl 577, so there was no way frost spec can beat my single target dps.
    Last edited by DoctorPK; 2013-12-29 at 05:30 PM. Reason: fix

Deleted
    9 pyros in a row won't make a bigger combust :P It's about how many huge pyros you can fit into a 4 sec window (the ignite refresh timer) In terms of your combust usage i was more thinking of when you actually use it. For progress i used my first combust as you did, and then my second one on the adds in the first intermission. This means (with some coordination from your warrior / other 3min users in your raid) that you can use your alter time combust after first whirling in p2 maxing dps since it's lining up with banner and then combusting again before 2nd intermission - 4 combusts overall contra your 3. (I still have 3 combusts on garrosh as you do, but you don't dis align cd's with banner + and extra in intermission - obviously not needed for your guild but in week 4 you kinda needed to save more shit for the intermission to meet the check.) Once out of p2 intermission even tho 3mins are up, combust with PoM delaying AT for p3 burn (@ 10%.) - this'll align with Bindings. Then use the last one before harbor phase with lust and banner in the burn - obviously not popping bindings as you mentioned during the rp :P

As for delaying combust for Bindings in general, it's very fight dependant. Sometimes it can be a gain if say your warrior is on the belt on Siege, or if there's a dmg boost up on nazgrim or klaxxi. It also depends on how fast the boss'll die (How many combusts you can fit in)

This is my char, the other is my mage guildy :P
    http://www.wowprogress.com/character...r/Likdisifucry
    Last edited by mmoc6d2862388d; 2013-12-29 at 06:49 PM.

Ya your right, I think the CD usage changes depending on raid comp in 10m and you were progressing on this boss way before than me.
    Also, you're using the banner to maximize your combustion. Something I need to do work on.
    Your right with delaying combustion for bindings is fight dependent. I usually don't wait for bindings except for Garrosh.

Deleted
    Oh you little shit, coining the trinket.

Fixed the link for you..

Quote Originally Posted by Myxel View Post
    Oh you little shit, coining the trinket.
    Next time, tune it down just that little bit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dabsy View Post
    Decent video, but improper combustion timings throughout. Also, not a single use of Greater invis, and a flamestrike -> ae in p2 intermission would've been better for doubt dps. About dps on MC'd people i would also beg to differ. Spreading dots is fine since MCs don't clash with imminent whirlings and aslong as your healers are ready with a shield and dispels / nobody stuns them you'll be fine. I'd also advise in tracking your warrior's skull banner.

Merry Christmas
    I agree, spreading dots can be done, but not combustion, it ticks too much, even just 1/1.5 seconds of undispelled combustion can kill someone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Next time, tune it down just that little bit
    T'was mostly a joke, Mr Thump!

Quote Originally Posted by Myxel View Post
    T'was mostly a joke, Mr Thump!
    I know it was, just could have used different words is all am saying

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPK View Post
    Tracking a skull banner is also something that I need to do

- - - Updated - - -
    Skullbanner tracking/communication is very important for getting decent combustions after the initial opener. You don't sit on combustions for very long at all if ever. Using combustion for adds in p1 works fairly well for getting those adds down and is back up in time for the next set of Skull Banners. The first kill on H25 Garrosh I pulled 390k~ dps, a month later as frost maybe 360-370k. I've never seen arcane perform as well as frost or fire on Heroic Garrosh. The main reason for this is the lower uptime on Rune of Power due to how much movement is required from most strats. Though if you check out Methods kill/Whatever Asian 1st guild you'll see the strat used helps arcane quite a bit compared to say Blood Legion/Midwinter.

TLDR; IMO Fire/Frost are about equal with Arcane lagging behind a bit. That's just me.

Just fyi, comparing overall dps in 10m/25m is silly. Players in 25m heroic garrosh seems to do alot higher dps than 10m heroic garrosh. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying your ~390k is bad, it's actually one of the highest I've heard for 25m heroic. But I can't really judge your 390k/360-370k dps in 25m heroic and apply it to 10m heroic. Also, I think the boss damage [for mages at least] is more important than your overall dps in heroic garrosh. Different guilds will have different strats. Some 10m guilds have a mage soloing the engineer during phase 1, and only arcane is capable of doing that. If you see my video, I just sat behind boss's ass. So arcane would definitely be pulling high dps.

Deleted
    Fire: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6m...?s=1478&e=2305

Frost: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-e4...?s=1310&e=2124

10m 573 ilvl engineer duty on both logs.

I did the fight as arcane during progress, simply due to the consistent amazing dps in p1 and p2 intermission and the burst dps in p3 @10%, the key parts of the fight, where arcane tops fire and frost.
    Last edited by mmoc6d2862388d; 2014-01-01 at 11:53 PM.

Deleted
    At the moment my guild is struggling with the Jade temple intermission, being too slow to kill adds, in the wipes so far Garrosh reached 25-30 energy.

As Fire I'm at the bottom half of the dps to Embodied doubt:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/u...pes&boss=71865
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...s=1623&wipes=1

I'm assigned to the right pack when you enter and the right pack in the back in the Sha room. What do you think is theoretically the best way to do as much damage to these 6 adds? At the moment I (try to) go in with a HS and PB! proc and use Pyro, Pom Pyro, combust on the first pack, then I blink in and do glyphed CoC. Then I think I fireball/scorch as I move towards the back pack. For the back pack I CoC again and Fireball one add and use my insta Pyroblasts on the other 2 adds.

Is it even worth dotting the adds as the whole room is supposed to last 16 seconds? If I dot, should I double down on it and go NT instead as this is the most difficult phase for us, so it's worth losing a bit of single target damage in the other phases?

does dragon breath work to interrupt adds?
    #1 fire mage US. u mirin'?
    "Aaah ah ah ah ah ah ah yea, f*ck me, ah, f*ck, aah yeah"
    - Jenna Jameson

Quote Originally Posted by fearist View Post
    does dragon breath work to interrupt adds?
    It does not.

Killed Heroic Garrosh a few days ago with Fire spec.

Video :

Feel free to comment

Deleted
    What do you guys think is the best way to handle the Minion of Y'Shaarj that is spawned during the Empowered whirling corruption?

It seems like you need to hit it instantly when it spawns or it will beeline for the tank. I've had some cases in which I Pyroblasted! the mob on spawn and still it didn't stick to me.

I tried Ice Ward and Ring of Frost, but it seems immune to both. So far the it seems best to Cone of Cold it on spawn and nuke it like normal. I'm usually one of the slowest to kill it, I'm wondering if I shouldn't CoC and use that gcd to do nuke instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathos View Post
    What do you guys think is the best way to handle the Minion of Y'Shaarj that is spawned during the Empowered whirling corruption?

It seems like you need to hit it instantly when it spawns or it will beeline for the tank. I've had some cases in which I Pyroblasted! the mob on spawn and still it didn't stick to me.

I tried Ice Ward and Ring of Frost, but it seems immune to both. So far the it seems best to Cone of Cold it on spawn and nuke it like normal. I'm usually one of the slowest to kill it, I'm wondering if I shouldn't CoC and use that gcd to do nuke instead.
    Scorching and pyro