Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why are tanks treated so poorly in LFG/LFR?

I really don't understand it. It's the most demanding role, the only role that requires one to research raid bosses before queuing, and yet, all people do all day long is bitch at them, relentlessly...

Pull too much, they get yelled at.
    Pull too little, they get yelled at.
    Pull too slow, they get yelled at.
    Pull too fast, they get yelled at.
    Don't know a fight, they get yelled at.
    Don't out-gear the instance, they get yelled at.
    Don't save DPS who pull 2-3 rooms on their own, get yelled at.

Why is their so much hate for this under-repped role? It's like people go out of their way to abuse tanks in LFG/LFR.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    From time to time everyone is treated poorly in LFG/LFR. The reason is simple... no real consequences.

Tanks and healers take on more than their share because entitled players think that tanks and heals are a tool not an equal player.

Don't forget:
    DPSers screw up, tanks get yelled at
    Healers screw up, tanks get yelled at
    One random guy screws up, tanks get yelled at
    Someone pulls prematurely, tanks get yelled at
    Everything goes fine, tanks still get yelled at
    Tanks try to explain the fight, tanks get yelled at
    Tanks don't explain the fight, tanks get yelled at
    Tanks are too chatty in LFR, tanks get yelled at
    Tanks are silent in LFR, tanks get yelled at
    Tanks know the fight on normal/heroic only, try to do it differently than LFR usually does, tanks get yelled at

I can remember examples for each of those...
    In general, tanks are expected to be group leaders, and people tend to blame leaders regardless of how much it actually makes sense.

I left an LFR the other day on my monk because people kept telling me to get "Tank" gear. Yet they were fine with the pally in half pvp gear gemmed full stam.

Tanks are always in the vast minority in LFR (only 2, unlike 6 healers and 17 DPS), so its much easier for the healers and DPS to team up against the tanks

Tanking is hard job.
    There are not many tanks.
    Players don't bother to read up on fight and when they make a fatal mistake, want to blame others because they don't want to admit that it's their fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 209 View Post
    entitled players think that tanks and heals are a tool not an equal player.
    *shrug* and DPS sometimes treated like "a dime a dozen" throw aways? Crappy people probably treat others like crap no matter what role they're playing at the moment. :\

I heal on three toons in LFR (because I no longer do or care about organized raiding). I find that a group lives or dies by the tanks and that many tanks come into LFR without knowing the fights, being properly geared and having a bad attitude. A DPS with a bad attitude is easy to ignore or get rid of but a bad tank makes the raid toxic. I think if you want to tank in LFR, like any other raiding, you had better know what you are doing, gear properly and act professionally.

in one of my last lfr a bottom of the barrel dps with missing gems/enchants with mostly lfr/flex gear was running his mouth against an obviously new tank for making real minor mistakes like slight positioning issues and such, when bringing up he was near the bottom of the dps, i'm the one called an elitist by him.

why this happens? entitlement?, no consequence or accountability? anonymity? I would say a bit of all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    *shrug* and DPS sometimes treated like "a dime a dozen" throw aways? Crappy people probably treat others like crap no matter what role they're playing at the moment. :\
    Sorry... I'm laughing at the idea that DPS aren't a 'dime a dozen'. Well I guess they're even less than that actually. It's only the moist populated group role by at least twice as many players, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    I heal on three toons in LFR (because I no longer do or care about organized raiding). I find that a group lives or dies by the tanks and that many tanks come into LFR without knowing the fights, being properly geared and having a bad attitude. A DPS with a bad attitude is easy to ignore or get rid of but a bad tank makes the raid toxic. I think if you want to tank in LFR, like any other raiding, you had better know what you are doing, gear properly and act professionally.
    Um, that's exactly my point... As per your statement: Tanks are required to study elitists jerks class guides, watch videos of each and every fight, have all appropriate gear from the tier before, and be a devout, professional leader of the group... JUST FOR LFR!

No other role has anywhere near these requirements. Hell, DPS and Healers are able to just queue up and wing it to victory. You'd think with such strict requirements just to queue up for LFR or whatever, that tanks would be treated a little better.

I find that treatment of tanks and healers along with the group as a whole tends to be better as responsibilities between roles start to even out including the need for players to be team players rather than a bunch of self centered individuals.

Tanks are viewed as leaders, they should be the one doing everything right to help the group as best as possible. Plus what I find is the tanks that do come in LFR know everything, or there is always one tank that doesnt know any fights, is geared in DPS and is holding the group back. I mean DPS isnt an issue, usually there is 2 to 5 people pulling normal geared dps 200k+ . And plus tanks as lazy people and tanks centuries to find just one... You get annoyed at any tank....

Most tanks in LFR are just bad. It isn't really much different from other people in LFR, it is just more obvious with the tanks. I tank it once in a while for shards and people usually compliment me on doing well, while half the time my off tanks seem to have the intelligence of a rock.

Easy target to blame and are a small minority. Simple as that really.

sosick of people bashing poor tanks in lfr. its no wonder there are hour + ques. its not even fun to play if your under constant harassment. they need to suspend accounts even if its fora few hours so people get it.

I find it funny that tanks think that they are special snowflakes and they are the only role who gets treated poorly in raids/ LFR... Honestly get over yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I find it funny that tanks think that they are special snowflakes and they are the only role who gets treated poorly in raids/ LFR... Honestly get over yourselves.
    The tanking role attracts lots of self obsessed narcissists, I guess it's the feeling of being in charge and everybody relying on them that drags them in

Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    I really don't understand it. It's the most demanding role, the only role that requires one to research raid bosses before queuing, and yet, all people do all day long is bitch at them, relentlessly...

Pull too much, they get yelled at.
    Pull too little, they get yelled at.
    Pull too slow, they get yelled at.
    Pull too fast, they get yelled at.
    Don't know a fight, they get yelled at.
    Don't out-gear the instance, they get yelled at.
    Don't save DPS who pull 2-3 rooms on their own, get yelled at.

Why is their so much hate for this under-repped role? It's like people go out of their way to abuse tanks in LFG/LFR.
    That's why. Research IS required, yet a lot of tanks don't look up a damn thing beforehand.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    i noticed a tank with normal SoO shoulders, but a 372 trinket from the vendor in jade forest, with zero gems, but we still won, so i didn't care. it made me want to tank because i know i could gear a tank pretty easily if thats all it takes.