Poll: Is the Monstrous Spineclaw spawn system badly designed?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm not a fan of how they did the Spineclaws, but then again I think the drop rates for everything on the isle are way too low. I've done many a grind in my day. The bigger bag achievement is definitely a head above the worst of them, excepting possibly Insane in the Membrane in its prime. And that's a FoS.

As far as the Spineclaw is specifically concerned, it's not the worst mob in the game. But it is a solid contender for the top ten. It would be nice if the thing was more dangerous, unsoloable in current gear. Then maybe people could be bothered to announce its location and wait for a few others to show up before they murder it.

It was the last pet I needed to collect every pet on the isle (except I need to win the Celestial Tournament one more week to get enough tokens for the 4th pet). I do agree with the RNG layering as too much. So much that i've been watching the AH for the pet on both factions and i saw people listing a couple for 25-30k each. I offered 15k over trade for one the other day and someone sold me theirs. I considered 15k a bargain since I can make the gold back faster than the time I would have spent trying to farm it myself. I am not concerned about getting it for the achievement right now. I just wanted it for my pet collection.

- - - Updated - - -

I would add, with this type of RNG layering, it would be better if this rare had more health, so you could get to it from any location it could spawn before it was killed. Putting in the effort to spawn it should at least reward you with the chance to kill it without it getting zerged while running to it. At least with houlon, he always spawns over the bridge, so you can camp that one spot and be guaranteed a kill at least every 30-60 min.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to RARE hunting, not UNCOMMON hunting.

Yes, this rare drops one of three items I still need for my "Going to Need a Bigger Bag" achievement. I've spent 80% of my time on WoW (many hours a day while tabbed out) since patch sitting at rarespawn points on Timeless Isle yet still haven't finished the achieve (some people lucked into having it the first couple weeks, or got it when the drops were tradable). It's legitimately awful, especially for 10 points and no other reward.

To people comparing it to Imperial Pythons, this has a much lower spawn rate.

Quote Originally Posted by zaaz View Post
    why dont they just put the pet in the store then if youre just going to cry about it. You missed your shot its intentionally rare good luck next time
    you mispelled retarded cus obviously you have no clue how this mob works.

for every crab you kill there is chance the crap that respawn instead of it be rare so 1st we have rng on the spawn.
    then every rare you kill have a chance to drop the pet, wowhead report its 1.5% drop chance which is just retarded.

doubt he complain about having to farm rares, he complain about that specific way of getting the pet
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel your pain. RNG is a bitch.

Sounds like some people here are suffering from that vicious disease we like to call Entitlement.

I don't have the Spineclaw pet either. I'd cry about it but I save my tears for happy moments.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. Maybe tomorrow will be your lucky day?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celawien View Post
    Welcome to RARE hunting, not UNCOMMON hunting.
    Also I enjoyed this.
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

just accept you're not meant to get every pet in the game

a year from now the game will have hundreds of new pets

and they'll keep adding more of them over time.

Deleted
    Well, trust on this one. Basicly every person complaining about Monstrous Spineclaw have all right about doing soo. Since this mob or better say, pet from him is worst out of worsts.
    Now im talking about getting him for achievement (Bigger Bags).
    There is basicly tripple RNG on it.
    1. It actualy need to spawn -- consider that Imperial Python is spawning few times as much, Fury shell is up all the time in comparison, and that bull, well noone needs him anyways.
    2. Where it spawns? It can spawn all around isle basicly... so have him annouced, get to him in time etc....
    3. If pet actualy drop FOR YOU, since you cannot apparently trade it anymore

Soo consider Garnia for change. You can just wait there, do anything in meantime and get you kill every 30 to 60 mins. But for spineclaw you need to farm all crabs on isle, and then have (if lucky) spawn every hour.

Soo, yes i think this NEED to be changed by one of ways :

1. remove spineclaw from Bigger bags achi
    2. Fix spineclaw spawn location
    3. Largely increase his spawn rate
    4. Increase pet drop rate (big time)

Or simply make stuff tradeable, or make able to get credit for achi by buying caged pet ....

Soo for all that are trying to farm this pet. I really hope you will get lucky with it soon.

I literally got all my bloody coins for both the mount and pet while trying to farm up the pet off this rare crab. Killed him a ton of times; never saw it drop. Ended up trading another pet collector for it. Eff the achievement.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

This crab grind and achievement in general is probably one of the worst in the game. I've done Conqueror, 250k HKs, Insane when it was hard, 2k Bloody Coins. This is shaping up to be worse than all of them.

Out of interest, people throwing around the word 'entitled'- define the word, please.

I wanted the pet for my collection anyway so I convinced my friend who doesn't care about pets to give it to me when he got it, of course it doesn't count for the achieve. :-/

I thought Huolon's mount would be the worst but I've gotten it twice so far... go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Cara View Post
    You are asking it to be handed to you. No one is forcing you to obtain one and pet collectors can simply buy it off the AH.
    I think the drop rate is a little low, but don't think it's bad design at all.
    If you want achievement credit, then it has to be looted.
    Caged pets from the Timesink Isle will not count.

There are other loots available in a similar fashion, so there is already that precedent set.
    They are just asking for consistency.

Some of the loots from Golganarr, Spirit of Jadefire, Emerald Gander are available on "standard" mobs.
    So they aren't asking for anything special or unusual.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-01-01 at 04:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Yeah I killed Golganarr like 5 times without getting any of his items, then said fuck it and killed a billion stone giants. It would be awesome if this was an option for all the items.

edit to put it in perspective:

Going To Need A Bigger Bag 0.017%
    Legendary Pet Brawler 0.019% (most if not all of these were probably botted btw)
    Fire-Watcher 0.031%
    Scarab Lord 0.041%
    Heroic: Garrosh Hellscream 0.103%
    Last edited by chairmanmao; 2014-01-01 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmanmao View Post
    Yeah I killed Golganarr like 5 times without getting any of his items, then said fuck it and killed a billion stone giants. It would be awesome if this was an option for all the items.
    I did exactly the same as that.
    I am currently 5 items short, and would love alternative options for at least some of them.
    Including that pet.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Some of the loots from Golganarr, Spirit of Jadefire, Emerald Gander are available on "standard" mobs.
    So they aren't asking for anything special or unusual.
    Gander is easy anyway, Golganarr yes, but definitely no on Spirit of Jadefire, you need both items that only drop from him/her.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't understand how people were completing this achievement within 1-2 months of the patch release, especially since mobs like archiereus of flame can only be looted once per day. It seems these people either got extremely lucky or there was a bug early in the patch. Spineclaw pet took me about 300 or 400 hours of camping, about 100 more hours than imperial python

Early on you could trade ANYTHING that dropped with someone else that tagged it. They later removed this for items such as the various weather stones and houlon mount, and it seems that a month or two ago it was removed for ALL items. 2 weeks ago I was dual boxing, secondary account got Gulp Froglet off Bufo and I couldn't trade it to my main for achievement credit...

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Gander is easy anyway, Golganarr yes, but definitely no on Spirit of Jadefire, you need both items that only drop from him/her.
    I was mistaken about which colour it was, with the green I have yet to loot being only from Jadefire while the blue which I was thinking about is from Cinderfall as well as the Foreboding Flame mobs.
    Either way, there are plenty of examples where a loot is shared with something else more common, or even in a small number of cases from rares in pre.5.4 content.

I'll just go ahead and confirm there's no 'cooldown' of any kind between spawns.. this surprised the shit out of me.

http://imgur.com/dTUPK7W

I don't know if the server outages caused this or what. Lot of people got booted (DDoS complaints, OpenRaid chat in a fit, etc) and I logged back in to someone killing one and the second one immediately popped after it died.
    Last edited by Kaustos; 2014-01-03 at 10:37 PM.