Poll: Is the Monstrous Spineclaw spawn system badly designed?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogait View Post
    Managed to find a group for the pet (Only for the achievement) a few months ago.

We were around 20 players killing everything on the beach and when one of us get the pet, he'd trade the pet to everyone 1 by 1 before learning it and we were relogging so the achievement would count as we received the pet.

After that we traded the owner the pet back and I went to the AH and bought it for 4k. =D
    They fixed that, it doesn't work anymore.

While working on bigger bag achiev (completed 1 week ago, 370 jakur of ordon kills to sign to drop) i just killed 1 each day took 2min-2h top to spawn one

Sounds like the experience is making you feel kind of... crabby.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    took me over 4000 ( yes, thousand ) crab kills to spawn enough rare versions to get the pet on our dear dead Mazrigos, since nobody else bothers killing them, finally got the pet, and achiv

15+ Year Old Account
    A related question, I'm nearing completion myself but still need the crab pet, is it wise to group with somebody from a very full pve server? As far as I understand the mechanics, having more people on the island lowers the spawn timers of everything, so you'd get more normal crab spawns per hour which results in a higher chance of getting the monstrous spineclaw to spawn in let's say an hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    A related question, I'm nearing completion myself but still need the crab pet, is it wise to group with somebody from a very full pve server? As far as I understand the mechanics, having more people on the island lowers the spawn timers of everything, so you'd get more normal crab spawns per hour which results in a higher chance of getting the monstrous spineclaw to spawn in let's say an hour.
    It's a double-edged sword. High-pop server tends to mean you will get much more regular crab spawns for much less personal effort. But you will also find it much harder to actually get tags on each spawn because the damn things have such depressingly low HP they get taken down in a snap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    It's a double-edged sword. High-pop server tends to mean you will get much more regular crab spawns for much less personal effort. But you will also find it much harder to actually get tags on each spawn because the damn things have such depressingly low HP they get taken down in a snap.
    Watching WoW on a second monitor while camping near horde base on a PvE server seems like a safe bet though. The 7 spawns you get there are all close together so hardly any effort involved to tag them.

Deleted
    It took me quite some days of farming crabs to get the pet and it surely is the hardest one to get in the island, but both the Time-Lost Proto Drake and Aeonaxx(Poseidus also comes to mind) are considerably harder to get(if you aren't lucky). I spent 15 days camping almost non-stop for the Proto Drake and 56(yes, 56 days) camping Aeonaxx every time I had available when I was home during the launch of Cataclysm. I missed dungeons, I missed the first raids that my guildies were doing but I eventually got that crazy drake after those 56 insane days I spent in that god forsaken place(and I only got it because a friend felt pity for me and helped me camp and 2 days later the mob spawned in his zone).

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Is looting the pet or just having the pet the requirement for the achieve ? You can cheese Raiding With Leashes by having someone trade you those pets; you learn them, get your achieve, then give the pets back.

I'm guessing looting the pet, unless it's like the only non-BoA pet I've ever heard of.
    It has to be looted, traded pets do not count.
    Same with most of the other requirements, the Elixir/Feathers being about the only exceptions being Bind to Account can be sent from other characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap, I finally got this stupid pet, and the achievement. This was the most boring annoying grind I've ever done for an achievement. Thank god that's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    If you're trying to convince me that it's the hardest rare to farm, I'm not sure I can back that. TLPD is even more rare and doesn't share its sloot.
    TLPD and aeonaxx aren't 2% droprates, and I see them all over the place ever since the exploits on how to get them came out. Really devalued them as it made it so easy to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Nothing weirder about this rare than any rare, how you found this thread-worthy goes beyond me.

Deleted
    I find it it still is ... now that there are less people who kill the crabs.

I didn't find it too bad, I was usually killing the crabs anyway because my main characters at the time in MoP were both skinners. Go from one end to the other and then back around killing snakes, made so much gold off all that leather.

You want to talk about bad though, I have two items left on my achieve for TI; the Talisman off the cave rare and the Rain Stone off Zesqua and I don't know how many times I have killed them both but they never ever drop :/
    Mount Count: 378. Newest addition: Arcadian War Derple
    Pet Count: 859 (678 at Max Level)
    (Last updated 21st July 2017)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iniegun/simple

Never had this misfortune, got it the first time I killed the mob.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have all the pets from Timeless Isle yet how many of them really dropped for me ? probably 1 or 2. i think that spineclaw crab drop rate is ridiculous plus there is no way to know if monstrous spineclaw will spawn or not. this system is flawed to the boots.

quick edit : i killed monstrous spineclaw more than 20 times. never really farmed though.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Cara View Post
    pet collectors can simply buy it off the AH.
    Well, I've been looking for it on the AH since it was added to the game, check daily, often multiple times. Never seen it, not even once. So pet collectors can buy it off the AH, but certainly not "simply"...

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Cry? I'm not crying about it. I'm concerned that Blizzard has failed in their goals of creating engaging content and, given the 100+ hours it's taken me so far with no measure of progression, might not have thought this situation through, especially compared to other rares on the island.

There's a difference between making something rare and making it badly designed. This is a pet locked behind a higher amount of RNG than most other rares in the game, yet it's required for an achievement. It should be its own feat of strength under the current set-up.

There's also a slight difference between 'missing your shot' and 'wasting your time'. If it spawned regardless of player input, I'd shrug it off like most of the other rares and try again later. Actively spending four hours doing content that dwarfs the original complaints against dailies when MoP came out only to have other players remove a CHANCE at getting what you want is just...so against what WoW's meant to be it's not even funny.

Those of you voting 'no' who are collectors; I'd be very interested to hear which spawns you think are worse than the Spineclaw, so feel free to reply, please.
    You went afk and missed a spawn and you are "worried blizzard failed in their goals of creating engaging content?"

No, you just went afk at the wrong time. Start the camping over again.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Deleted
    Ik killed about 2800 crabs, on the days when Wod was just released. EVERYONE was levelling, so i had free reign in Timeless Isle farming crabs. I got the pet I think after my 64th Monstruous one. I can safely say: never again.