Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    there is 1/2 prince which probebly wont get anime since its korean.
    Gamerz Heaven which doesnt seem to popular so no anime here either.
    Yureka which is awesome manwa once again korean, and so is Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

by the look of things we need some anime to finished airing to get new spots for other anime.

not to mention sword art online still have enough content for at least 52 episodes so we might get more seasons of that when log horizen will end.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    the anime doesn't really need the darker stuff (or MMORPG explanations). The anime is splendid as is.
    Also, I'm grown up enough to enjoy watching a kids show

(btw, the noobtroupe in dungeon scenes fill my old heart with Vanilla WoW nostalgia)

Also, shove your fucking token where the monkey hides his bananas, MMOC
    reminds me of early trips into deadmines back before everything got nerfed into oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    the anime doesn't really need the darker stuff (or MMORPG explanations). The anime is splendid as is.
    Also, I'm grown up enough to enjoy watching a kids show

(btw, the noobtroupe in dungeon scenes fill my old heart with Vanilla WoW nostalgia)

Also, shove your fucking token where the monkey hides his bananas, MMOC
    I did notice they added some subtle things only adult would understand and kids don't which is nice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    I did notice they added some subtle things only adult would understand and kids don't which is nice.
    and that is part of why i like disney movies, they make it enjoyable for both kids and adults by throwing in some adult content that kids won't notice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    Well the avatar system in Summer Wars was relatively similar to those present in MMO's, that and its consideribly better than the others mentioned.
    I guess...I unno never considered it an MMO series though...Maybe in the second life/gaia vein but I unno...Remember it's supposed to be a sorta super facebook they were using.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    reminds me of early trips into deadmines back before everything got nerfed into oblivion.
    My first time in there...I didn't know how to change chat channels.....I also thought Rez meant boot..DAMN was that one REALLLLLY pissed off druid tank...He was 33 and doing a friend a favor LOL...Also whole greed is bad mmkay thing...LOL these days I enjoy helping new players...

Been tearing thru the Light Novels since I caught Log Horizon on Hulu. The mangas didn't satisfy me for long. heh. While I agree it *started* with some hints at some fairly dark stuff, they were the exception and not the norm.

Two shows suited to this thread that haven't been mentioned... Fairy Tale & Accel World. Been a while since I watched Fairy Tale tho, so I don't remember if there was actually an MMO involved, or if it was just a pseudoverse similar to an MMO. Accel World definitely fits the bill though, although they aren't trapped as in other anime of the genre.

I'm not big on fanfics, but damn Log Horizon gets my mind spinning about stories of events on western servers. =)

I'd pay good money to see dynamic events like the Goblin King arc added to WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Been tearing thru the Light Novels since I caught Log Horizon on Hulu. The mangas didn't satisfy me for long. heh. While I agree it *started* with some hints at some fairly dark stuff, they were the exception and not the norm.

Two shows suited to this thread that haven't been mentioned... Fairy Tale & Accel World. Been a while since I watched Fairy Tale tho, so I don't remember if there was actually an MMO involved, or if it was just a pseudoverse similar to an MMO. Accel World definitely fits the bill though, although they aren't trapped as in other anime of the genre.

I'm not big on fanfics, but damn Log Horizon gets my mind spinning about stories of events on western servers. =)

I'd pay good money to see dynamic events like the Goblin King arc added to WoW.
    Fairy Tail is not MMO based, just set in a fantasy world. Accel World, .Hack, Log Horizon, and SAO are the big "MMO" games that come to mind in the genre.

Fairy Tail is not MMO based, just set in a fantasy world.
    yeah, thats what I thought, but the heavy emphasis on guilds and quests seemed closer to this genre then the standard fantasy genres of anime.

finished the 5th lightnovel of Log Horizon, and I've found that, overall, I havent enjoyed the last few... or the direction its going in.

The characters and storyline are less engaging, and a big part of that seems to be that the 'mmo world' isn't really involved as much. I enjoyed the sociopolitical machinations when the MMO was driving the story, but its not nearly as interesting to me the other way around.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah, thats what I thought, but the heavy emphasis on guilds and quests seemed closer to this genre then the standard fantasy genres of anime.

finished the 5th lightnovel of Log Horizon, and I've found that, overall, I havent enjoyed the last few... or the direction its going in.

The characters and storyline are less engaging, and a big part of that seems to be that the 'mmo world' isn't really involved as much. I enjoyed the sociopolitical machinations when the MMO was driving the story, but its not nearly as interesting to me the other way around.
    ehh i still find it entertaining. and a hell of a lot better than Sword Art Online. whose issues have been killed, ressurected, and killed again about 500 times already.

ehh i still find it entertaining. and a hell of a lot better than Sword Art Online. whose issues have been killed, ressurected, and killed again about 500 times already.
    yeah, im not saying its bad. if anything, im mostly disturbed because i'm seeing the same flaws in SAO's anime start showing up in Log Horizon's Light Novel.

mainly, they started off strong with the MMO themes, leveling, bossfights, classes, professions, etc... and then slowly forgetting about them and moving towards a 'chosen one vs insane controlfreak villain' grand story arc.

Looks like the anime is planned at 25 episodes tho ? So that should leave season 1 on a high note if it doesnt get renewed. =)

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah, im not saying its bad. if anything, im mostly disturbed because i'm seeing the same flaws in SAO's anime start showing up in Log Horizon's Light Novel.

mainly, they started off strong with the MMO themes, leveling, bossfights, classes, professions, etc... and then slowly forgetting about them and moving towards a 'chosen one vs insane controlfreak villain' grand story arc.

Looks like the anime is planned at 25 episodes tho ? So that should leave season 1 on a high note if it doesnt get renewed. =)
    the problem with SAO wasn't that it was "Kirito vs Heathcliffe".
    it was that
    1) Kirito was so strong he pretty much took down 2 entire raid bosses on his own (Heathcliffe, and the Gleameyes).
    2) Forced Romance is Forced.
    3) No Character Development (and character regression in some cases).
    4) Dues Ex Machina writing/Discarding of ones own rules (Ie, Kirito and Asuna both blatently died, there health hit zero, but then Kirito went ghost form, killed Heathcliffe, and both survived?)
    5) So Much Filler.
    6) Time Skips. Yay!

and that's just the first story arc. and frankly, i'm sure i missed some points. obviously the predominant showdown in Log Horizon is going to be between Shiroe (and by extension, Log Horizon and friends) and whoever the villain is. but so long as is doesn't employ plot armor galore, and actually explains crap, it should be fine.
    as for Log Horizon, based on what i'm seeing, the first season should end with either Volume 4 or Volume 5 of the Light Novel.
    Last edited by AceofHarts; 2014-01-03 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've been enjoying Log Horizon so far, so I hope it stays good! It actually made me dig through my HD for the .hack-folder, since I never got further than ep 7 or so there :P

SA:O was/is... well... marcelos11: You got this, bro.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Yeah, I've been enjoying Log Horizon so far, so I hope it stays good! It actually made me dig through my HD for the .hack-folder, since I never got further than ep 7 or so there :P

SA:O was/is... well... marcelos11: You got this, bro.
    As for talking about Log Horizon seems the creator Mamare Touno looks like that he wants our help to localize the classes of ET. You can submit your ideas for characters and such. All the info I posted is in the anime chat thread if you want to go look.

it was for me. all those other failings are pretty much the same in Log Horizon, so good luck there.

1) Demon Eyes is so cunning he takes down more then some measly 'raid bosses'.
    2) Same exact Harem issues as SAO. He's the hero. Females are drawn to him. Its not forced, its a force of nature, apparently.
    3) Character Development. SAO had more character development then Log Horizon, mostly due to the larger timeframe. Kirito got married, had a child, settled down, etc.
    4) Discarding the rules plays a HUGE part in Log Horizon later on. HUGE. For the most part, the symptoms have already been shown in the anime.
    5) the 5th Light Novel is almost all filler, imo.
    6) Time Skips arent necessarily a bad thing. Canticle for Leibowitz has some CRAZY timeskips. V for Vendetta has a huge timeskip. Many anime kinda suffer from 'too much stuff happened, so we gotta skip a lot of the boring stuff in the manga to keep the anime on track'. This has actually happened a bit in Log Horizon so far, but you probably just haven't noticed it so much because the effect as a whole hasn't been all that noticeable to you.

I will renew my main objection with SAO, that my general unease with Log Horizon now, is that it starts by presenting the Environment as the primary enemy to the hero and accompanying cast, but then starts presenting various SPECIFIC enemies and growing into a Villain story. For me, it'd be like a raid that starts out as some really interesting raid bosses.... but then starts pitting you against other players. They're two entirely different beasts, and it fails at both to not have a cohesive arc that begins and ends with the same core.

basic english classes will teach you that you don't start with 'the reason ham sandwiches are great is....' and then conclude with 'and that is why cats are better then dogs.'

15+ Year Old Account
    it was for me. all those other failings are pretty much the same in Log Horizon, so good luck there.

1) Demon Eyes is so cunning he takes down more then some measly 'raid bosses'.
    2) Same exact Harem issues as SAO. He's the hero. Females are drawn to him. Its not forced, its a force of nature, apparently.
    3) Character Development. SAO had more character development then Log Horizon, mostly due to the larger timeframe. Kirito got married, had a child, settled down, etc.
    4) Discarding the rules plays a HUGE part in Log Horizon later on. HUGE. For the most part, the symptoms have already been shown in the anime.
    5) the 5th Light Novel is almost all filler, imo.
    6) Time Skips arent necessarily a bad thing. Canticle for Leibowitz has some CRAZY timeskips. V for Vendetta has a huge timeskip. Many anime kinda suffer from 'too much stuff happened, so we gotta skip a lot of the boring stuff in the manga to keep the anime on track'. This has actually happened a bit in Log Horizon so far, but you probably just haven't noticed it so much because the effect as a whole hasn't been all that noticeable to you.

I will renew my main objection with SAO, that my general unease with Log Horizon now, is that it starts by presenting the Environment as the primary enemy to the hero and accompanying cast, but then starts presenting various SPECIFIC enemies and growing into a Villain story. For me, it'd be like a raid that starts out as some really interesting raid bosses.... but then starts pitting you against other players. They're two entirely different beasts, and it fails at both to not have a cohesive arc that begins and ends with the same core.

basic english classes will teach you that you don't start with 'the reason ham sandwiches are great is....' and then conclude with 'and that is why cats are better then dogs.'
    1) Who is the Demon Eyes?
    2) Really? Akatsuki is serving Shiroe, not in a relationship with him (as of yet, tbd), Marie and Henrietta are friends. name another female attracted to him? if anything, the Samurai in charge of West Wind Brigade is the one tabbed as the ladies man. and so far we have seen FAR more interaction between Akatsuki and Shiroe then there was between Kiroto and Asuna.
    3) Really? getting married and having a kid (In game mind you) is character development? how about advancing as a person. learning, becoming more integrated, etc. none of that happens with Kirito. Girls are attracted to him because he's strong, not because he has a good personality.
    4) Later on huh? well i haven't read the light novels yet. i'm going strictly based on the anime. but hell, SAO discarded the rules by the end of the first light novel, not the 5th.
    5) oh so it took him going 3 full story arcs to get to a filler light novel? damn, i mean, SAO only did one LN before a filler.
    6) they aren't neccesarily a bad thing, when used in moderation. ALMOST ALL OF SAO is Time Skips. and that is the beautiful thing about Log Horizon. yes we had a 2-3 day skip where they were flying there griffins to save Serara. yes we had a few time skips here or there. of weeks mind you. in SAO 2 FRIGGEN years pass by in 14 episodes. damn.

as for Shiroe's character Development. it is there, and he has his friends helping him. for example with the deciding that it was the best idea and he and akatsuki/naotsugu should be the ones to go get serara. he battled with that, debating with wether to even involve them. he decided to. or when he realized just how bad akiba was getting and decided that nothing was going to happen without action. he battled with that too, and then Nyanta was there to help him realize that the others were just waiting on him to realize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    it was that
    1) Kirito was so strong he pretty much took down 2 entire raid bosses on his own (Heathcliffe, and the Gleameyes).
    2) Forced Romance is Forced.
    3) No Character Development (and character regression in some cases).
    4) Dues Ex Machina writing/Discarding of ones own rules (Ie, Kirito and Asuna both blatently died, there health hit zero, but then Kirito went ghost form, killed Heathcliffe, and both survived?)
    5) So Much Filler.
    6) Time Skips. Yay!

and that's just the first story arc. and frankly, i'm sure i missed some points. obviously the predominant showdown in Log Horizon is going to be between Shiroe (and by extension, Log Horizon and friends) and whoever the villain is. but so long as is doesn't employ plot armor galore, and actually explains crap, it should be fine.
    as for Log Horizon, based on what i'm seeing, the first season should end with either Volume 4 or Volume 5 of the Light Novel.
    What I hated most was the fillers....why would there be fillers for such a short anime. They where so boring too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    What I hated most was the fillers....why would there be fillers for such a short anime. They where so boring too.
    half of the first story arc was filler. are you seriously fucking kidding me?

1) Who is the Demon Eyes?
    Shiroe

2) Really? Akatsuki is serving Shiroe, not in a relationship with him (as of yet, tbd), Marie and Henrietta are friends. name another female attracted to him?
    Akatsuki & Minori are in a love triangle with Shiroe. That may or may not be apparent this season. Shiroe KISSES Marysan at one point. Likely won't appear in the anime. (Altho Mary is quite obviously more interested in teasing/playing with Naotsuga(sp) Henrietta VERY blatantly gives Shiroe an invitation which he's too numb to pick up on. (unsure if its been presented in the anime yet, or whether they'll choose to ignore it). West Wind Brigade is SPECIFICALLY described as a Harem Guild multiple times, to say Shiroe isn't as bad as them doesn't mean he isn't guilty of the same on a lesser scale. But yeah, if this were about the West Wind Brigade arc, there's no way you'd overlook the harem elements. =)

3) Really? getting married and having a kid (In game mind you) is character development? how about advancing as a person. learning, becoming more integrated, etc. none of that happens with Kirito. Girls are attracted to him because he's strong, not because he has a good personality.
    Put that way, Kirito has even more character development than Shiroe. Kirito started at level 1 like everyone else, but GREW strong by working hard at it, but also found time to enjoy life, and bring that aspect out in others... hence the marriage and child. this WASN'T because he 'was strong', this was because he showed others to take joy in their life. OTOH, Shiroe starts out at level 90, whereas most of the characters drawn to him are ... not. He starts out with overpowered tactician and scribe skills that almost noone ingame can compete with. He doesn't gain a single level, cuz instead he feels like running around beating up level 1 critters and lording it over newbies. There is no change to his character (both literal and figurative). People LOATHE him for his 'bad behavior', which brings distress to his harem of adoration

4) Later on huh? well i haven't read the light novels yet. i'm going strictly based on the anime. but hell, SAO discarded the rules by the end of the first light novel, not the 5th.
    To be fair, the whole food arc was pretty much right off the bat, and that was probably the original sin.

5) oh so it took him going 3 full story arcs to get to a filler light novel? damn, i mean, SAO only did one LN before a filler.
    Well, you complained about 'so much filler', personally I didn't think there was that much filler in SAO, or if there was... I enjoyed it. I felt a lot of 3&4 (for LH) were filler too, but I enjoyed it. at that rate... you're looking at about 50-60% filler from what I've read so far. The big thing tho is... ENJOYMENT. Hopefully they skip over most of 5 (if they even get to it). I think it could be squeezed into 1 episode and still feel like filler.

6) they aren't neccesarily a bad thing, when used in moderation. ALMOST ALL OF SAO is Time Skips. and that is the beautiful thing about Log Horizon. yes we had a 2-3 day skip where they were flying there griffins to save Serara. yes we had a few time skips here or there. of weeks mind you. in SAO 2 FRIGGEN years pass by in 14 episodes. damn.
    14 episodes is a pretty long time for a series tho... most shows where time plays into it are designed around 13 episodes (or less) to a year of 'story time'. So 2 years to 14 episodes isn't all that out of hand.

as for Shiroe's character Development. it is there, and he has his friends helping him. for example with the deciding that it was the best idea and he and akatsuki/naotsugu should be the ones to go get serara. he battled with that, debating with wether to even involve them. he decided to. or when he realized just how bad akiba was getting and decided that nothing was going to happen without action. he battled with that too, and then Nyanta was there to help him realize that the others were just waiting on him to realize it.
    to me though, thats not really development, his character hasn't really 'changed'. his plans are calculated several moves in advance, so it may seem like there's some development, but so far he's the same guy that wants to be valued by others, do his own thing, and not be used. kinda trivial spoiler, but i'll tag it anyways. at one point someone calls him out on his behavior that 'you had this planned all from the start, didn't you?' or to that effect, but it may not make an appearance in the anime if they even get that far

15+ Year Old Account
    Shiroe

Akatsuki & Minori are in a love triangle with Shiroe. That may or may not be apparent this season. Shiroe KISSES Marysan at one point. Likely won't appear in the anime. (Altho Mary is quite obviously more interested in teasing/playing with Naotsuga(sp) Henrietta VERY blatantly gives Shiroe an invitation which he's too numb to pick up on. (unsure if its been presented in the anime yet, or whether they'll choose to ignore it). West Wind Brigade is SPECIFICALLY described as a Harem Guild multiple times, to say Shiroe isn't as bad as them doesn't mean he isn't guilty of the same on a lesser scale. But yeah, if this were about the West Wind Brigade arc, there's no way you'd overlook the harem elements. =)

Put that way, Kirito has even more character development than Shiroe. Kirito started at level 1 like everyone else, but GREW strong by working hard at it, but also found time to enjoy life, and bring that aspect out in others... hence the marriage and child. this WASN'T because he 'was strong', this was because he showed others to take joy in their life. OTOH, Shiroe starts out at level 90, whereas most of the characters drawn to him are ... not. He starts out with overpowered tactician and scribe skills that almost noone ingame can compete with. He doesn't gain a single level, cuz instead he feels like running around beating up level 1 critters and lording it over newbies. There is no change to his character (both literal and figurative). People LOATHE him for his 'bad behavior', which brings distress to his harem of adoration

To be fair, the whole food arc was pretty much right off the bat, and that was probably the original sin.

Well, you complained about 'so much filler', personally I didn't think there was that much filler in SAO, or if there was... I enjoyed it. I felt a lot of 3&4 (for LH) were filler too, but I enjoyed it. at that rate... you're looking at about 50-60% filler from what I've read so far. The big thing tho is... ENJOYMENT. Hopefully they skip over most of 5 (if they even get to it). I think it could be squeezed into 1 episode and still feel like filler.

14 episodes is a pretty long time for a series tho... most shows where time plays into it are designed around 13 episodes (or less) to a year of 'story time'. So 2 years to 14 episodes isn't all that out of hand.

to me though, thats not really development, his character hasn't really 'changed'. his plans are calculated several moves in advance, so it may seem like there's some development, but so far he's the same guy that wants to be valued by others, do his own thing, and not be used. kinda trivial spoiler, but i'll tag it anyways. at one point someone calls him out on his behavior that 'you had this planned all from the start, didn't you?' or to that effect, but it may not make an appearance in the anime if they even get that far
    1) Shiroe is known as the villain in glasses. and congratulations, he can think critically and exploit weaknesses, as to be expected of someone playing his class (which relies on buffing and debuffing) and a raid leader.
    2) never said that shiroe was "not as bad" as the GM of West Wind Brigade, just that the GM over there was more the ladies man. as for your thoughts about girl's liking shiroe, it doesn't exactly feel forced, like SAO, and furthermore, unlike in SAO, Shiroe isn't the only male getting affection from the ladies.
    3) Shiroe is at the level cap because the game has been out for YEARS. Kirito was very good at SAO from the onset due in part to his gaming experience in other games, and in other part due to him being a Beta Tester. Shiroe isn't lording it over newbies, hes HELPING them. Lording it over is what Rundel Haus Code is currently doing. Shiroe didn't even take to the stage when they were announcing the formation of the Round Table. "Getting Married, and Having a kid" isn't character development. Character Development talks about the persons personality. in that sense, Shiroe, who is slowly coming out of his shell to help just about anyone, is advancing far more than Kirito has period. BY THE WAY. People loathe Kirito too, but hey, guess that doesn't detract from his harem in your opinion.

really? the only other anime i have seen where they have massive time skips to the point of 2 years passing in a single season is Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. and frankly, the majority of that is them waiting for crops to develop and spent teaching farmers. not much to be seen there.
    on the other hand, in SAO we miss 73 floors worth of raid bosses, dungeons, and god knows how many awesome quests they could have shown.

again. i'm not going based on the Light Novels here. i'm going based on where the anime is.

his character never changed? really? it blatently shows him becoming more and more sociable for one. but hey, i guess character development is getting married and having a kid. WOOH.
    Last edited by AceofHarts; 2014-01-07 at 10:12 PM.

1) Shiroe is known as the villain in glasses. and congratulations, he can think critically and exploit weaknesses, as to be expected of someone playing his class (which relies on buffing and debuffing) and a raid leader.
    it extends beyond that. he exploits people, and he is NOT a raid leader. thats why he is perceived as a 'bad person' and alternately called villain\devil\demon depending on the translation.

2) never said that shiroe was "not as bad" as the GM of West Wind Brigade, just that the GM over there was more the ladies man. as for your thoughts about girl's liking shiroe, it doesn't exactly feel forced, like SAO, and furthermore, unlike in SAO, Shiroe isn't the only male getting affection from the ladies.
    harem's a harem. of the four examples I listed, I didn't think any of them really had a compelling reason for falling for Shiroe, and you gotta keep in mind... his harem developed over the course of.... weeks ? contrasted to what you pointed out as years on Kirito's part... I *like* harem anime's. They do a pretty good job at some humor later on with it... but you can't knock SOA's harem without acknowledging that LH does the same exact thing... only moreso. And the harem certainly wasn't the main course in SOA either.

3) Shiroe is at the level cap because the game has been out for YEARS. Kirito was very good at SAO from the onset due in part to his gaming experience in other games, and in other part due to him being a Beta Tester. Shiroe isn't lording it over newbies, hes HELPING them.
    You say potato, I say tomato. Fact is, Kirito & Shiroe both started with 'knowledge and killer instincts', but Kirito started at level 1. Shiroe started at level 90.

Lording it over is what Rundel Haus Code is currently doing.
    Don't knock Rudy. He's a better person than Shiroe ever was.

"Getting Married, and Having a kid" isn't character development.
    it really is.

Character Development talks about the persons personality. in that sense, Shiroe, who is slowly coming out of his shell to help just about anyone, is advancing far more than Kirito has period. BY THE WAY. People loathe Kirito too, but hey, guess that doesn't detract from his harem in your opinion.
    oh, i totally forgot about Kirito's friends calling him evil and a demon... ohwait.... and Shiroe isn't coming out of his shell any more then Kirito was. they're the same character (altho for different reasons). Kirito chose the solo play to save the rest of the beta testers from the stigma. Shiroe chose solo play because he didn't want people 'using him' for his knowledge and power. Kirito eventually grew out of his exile, and was able to be married and have a child. Shiroe.... doesn't change. You just see his plan start to unfold.

his character never changed? really? it blatently shows him becoming more and more sociable for one. but hey, i guess character development is getting married and having a kid. WOOH.
    yeah, no.

he was always sociable. thats what the tea party was. he just went solo cuz he wasn't comfortable helping people. (the very limited exception of the twins is explained multiple times WHY it was the exception). His friends list didn't grow all that much from when they first merged into the world.

i really don't understand how you can call 'making a guild out of people that were friends before the anime started' growing in sociability but... 'meeting someone new, romancing her, marrying her, and having a child' *isnt* character development and social growth.