Poll: Would you save someones life even if it meant you broke a Law

Page 1 of 41
... LastLast

Would you save someones life even if it meant you broke a Law. This Pharmacist didnt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...scription.html.

Teenager, 14, who had allergic reaction to peanuts at Chinese buffet died in the street after chemist refused to give her a life-saving adrenaline injection

So ignoring all the shoulda/woulda/coulda from the story, Could you do what this Pharmacist did and not attempt/save the persons life who is practically dying in front of you even if you had all the means to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by blake22tt View Post
    Could you do what this Pharmacist did and not attempt/save the persons life who is practically dying in front of you even if you had all the means to do so.
    Is there anything to indicate that the pharmacist knew she was telling the truth? As in, was her daughter actually there in front of him?

Yeah, it sucks, but if people gave restricted drugs to anyone with a sob story, it wouldn't be a very good policy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hindsight is 20/20. What if the pharmacist gave the girl the drug, and she died from the injection? Pharmacists are not medical doctors.

I don't like blaming individuals, but honestly, if you have a serious allergy, you shouldn't leave home without an epi-pen, ever.
    Eat yo vegetables

Yes, but only hypothetically if I knew they would die otherwise. Realistically I can't imagine being in such a position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    depends, the story isn't clear if the girl dying was also there (in the pharmacy) or not. if i saw her myself, i would have given out the pen, because it's obvious that she needs it and i can see her having the reaction. if the mum came up to me and asked without the child, then i would refuse, she could be asking for any reason. i'm confused why she didn't call an ambulance though, because the ambulance would have epipens in there, or could demand it from the pharmacist...

also...
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. What if the pharmacist gave the girl the drug, and she died from the injection? Pharmacists are not medical doctors.

I don't like blaming individuals, but honestly, if you have a serious allergy, you shouldn't leave home without an epi-pen, ever.
    was meant to say the second point, but forgot. it is far too true

I would but it depends on which law.
    Wouldn't think twice about breaking a law with something petty as a Adrenaline shot

Deleted
    Isn't it illegal not to help someone in need?
    Also what about the Hippocratic Oath?

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, dailymail...........

Secondly,

Family rushed to a nearby pharmacy

Why would anyone go to a pharmacy instead of the hospital? Or call an ambulance? I'm sure they have an EpiPen on them.

But would I break the law to save someone? Sure. But I wouldn't give them drugs that I'm forbidden to sell without a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Does a pharmacist take said Oath?

However I don't believe Epinephrine is habit forming or anything, so I can see why the question arises compared to, say, Morphine or something.

I'm not sure I can answer OP's question without actually being in the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    pharmacists are not doctors, pretty sure they don't swear to the hippcratic oath

I'm not sure why those are restricted to prescriptions anyway. It's not like there aren't a hundred thousand other things you could kill yourself with that aren't, and they aren't a drug people would take recreationally. (because hey, we need to regulate people getting high for fun, right?)

If it was over the counter, there wouldn't be any question. Problem solved?
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-12-30 at 02:05 PM.

Deleted
    In the UK pharmacists are allowed to give out a drug without a prescription if they can contact a medical professional who can confirm your medical records over the phone. I've had medication given to me without prescription after a phone call to my doctors surgery confirmed - just a temporary dosage until I could get a prescription or be seen by an emergency doctor. I don't know if Dublin follows the same rules, but if not, they really should.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what the repurcussions could be for me and what the law looks like, as I don't know much about it. First of all, is there risk of physical danger to me? If so, then I probably wouldn't help unless they're friend or family, or friend of a friend/family.

Legally - say I gave the cure, and the patient then died, would I be responsible? Say I was in the situation in the article but gave the cure and the patient then died, would I be convicted of manslaughter? If that's a possibility then I most definitely wouldn't try and help them. What would be the punishment for doling out a restricted substance without the required paperwork, even in an emergency, would I be cleared of that? Would the family of the victim/the victim themselves indemnify me for all the problems that resulted from the well intentioned act?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Upon seeing the girl the pharmacist should be able to judge whether or not the need for an EpiPen is real, people supposedly coming for "a fix" should be easily spotted, it was idiotic of this pharmacist to deny the drug. It's not a dangerous drug for someone healthy and young and upon seeing someone struggling with their breathing and family members screaming in despair I can honestly not imagine what this pharmacist was thinking.

he or she will have to live with the fact that they let someone die.

Pharmacists are Not doctors.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Upon seeing the girl the pharmacist should be able to judge whether or not the need for an EpiPen is real, people supposedly coming for "a fix" should be easily spotted, it was idiotic of this pharmacist to deny the drug. It's not a dangerous drug for someone healthy and young and upon seeing someone struggling with their breathing and family members screaming in despair I can honestly not imagine what this pharmacist was thinking.

he or she will have to live with the fact that they let someone die.
    Nowhere in the story does it say the Pharmacist saw the girl. The mother ran to the Pharmacy and asked for an EpiPen.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by suitepee7 View Post
    pharmacists are not doctors, pretty sure they don't swear to the hippcratic oath
    Actually, in the US, pharmacists are doctors. Their official title is Doctor of Pharmacy or PharmD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    I was personally in a similar situation once (aka similar to the girl who died) and was lucky enough to get a pharmacist who gave me what I needed despite the fact he wasn't allowed to.

Regarding the question itself, depends on the case. But if it's like really obvious the person isn't just faking symptoms, then of course yes.
    These but if i think he/she is faking it, then Bye bye...

Quote Originally Posted by SogPig View Post
    Actually, in the US, pharmacists are doctors. Their official title is Doctor of Pharmacy or PharmD.
    Well, you can have a doctorate in many fields...doesn't usually make you qualified to decide on a method of treatment for an ailment or injury.

although pharmacists are not doctors, I think he should have been able to make the call and decide if it is worth the risk. I am not familiar with the education a pharmacist receives, but I assume they should be able to distinguish legitimate from fake actions.