Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb [Mage] Elemental Talent

Let's imagine:

Frost lost its pet and it got an equivalent damage upgrade. At level 90 you get 1 spell, depending of your spec. All them got no GCD:
    Fire: Blast Wave
    Frost: Freeze
    Arcane: Arcane Oppression (stuns the enemies in a selected area for 2s)
    The level 90 talents doesn't exist anymore. Here is a new talent that replaces one slot of the level 90 talents:

Summon Elemental: Summon an elemental to aid you, depending of your spec.

Fire: Summon a Fire Elemental that uses Fire Bolt and Blast Wave.
    Frost: Summon a Water Elemental that uses Water Bolt and Freeze.
    Arcane: Summon an Arcane Fiend that uses Arcane Bolt and Arcane Oppression.

Every elemental got equivalent damage as melee and can actually tank. 20% of the damage you deal is converted to heal to your elemental. While your elemental is active, you can't use your level 90 spell.
    This elemental gives 15% of the damage you deal, with a 2% margin of error. Let's consider that the other 2 talents gives 5% more overall damage/DPS, in burst, in passive effect/proc, in DoT... whatever.

It would solve a part of the level 90 talents issues and give you the same amount of damage, plus it would make the elemental not mandatory for Frost Mages, and turn them a few more interactive.

The main idea for this is to be the opposite of Warlocks and Hunters. Look:

Warlock and Hunter are classes that uses pets, and they got a talent which make you get rid of it.

Mage is a class that doesn't uses pets, and it got a talent which make you get one.

What you think about this solution? Would you like this? Do you think other people would like this? Is this flawless, got some flaws or is totally screwed up?

Remembering: I don't expect Blizzard to read this to be honest, I just want to know your opinion about a balanced elemental talent.
    Last edited by Datanon; 2014-01-02 at 06:35 PM.

Deleted
    I didnt choose mage 9 years ago to play a pet class ok we got frost elemental and thats ok for one spec. But a pet for every spec? nah thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zenevieva View Post
    I didnt choose mage 9 years ago to play a pet class ok we got frost elemental and thats ok for one spec. But a pet for every spec? nah thanks
    It's a talent CHOICE. Emphasis on choice :P, besides his/her suggestion is only one of the replaced slots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenevieva View Post
    Thats exactly why I made this!

I like the idea of elementals, mostly for RP to be honest. But most people hate them while playing as Frost, so... why not make it optional?

And also, some people wanted Blast Wave back, and looks like Arcane got almost no utility on PvP. The AoE stun would help them to get a place on PvP.
    Last edited by Datanon; 2014-01-02 at 04:50 AM.

Sounds like a great idea, those spells baseline would be way better. I wished they would have made freeze baseline way back when they made the freeze pet permanent.

Deleted
    Ah sorry I didnt read the OP clearly enough (its late), discuss away =]
    Last edited by mmocc38725e1a8; 2014-01-02 at 04:56 AM.

To me it feels like you are pulling too much out of the Shaman class. Frost Elemental is fine and should be stopped there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cyber-Dalek Master View Post
    To me it feels like you are pulling too much out of the Shaman class. Frost Elemental is fine and should be stopped there.
    I honestly think our elementals are very different from Shaman elementals... I mean, theirs are elements from the spirits; ours are material puppets.

Quote Originally Posted by squid View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, those spells baseline would be way better. I wished they would have made freeze baseline way back when they made the freeze pet permanent.
    Yes! It would be quite amazing if we could use Freeze by ourselves if we wanted to.
    Last edited by Datanon; 2014-01-02 at 05:35 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I 'dunno, control over any elemental you want sounds a little shamany.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cyber-Dalek Master View Post
    This. Also, I'd love it if Blizzard let us have the Water Elemental so that we could heal. Mages can have an Ice, or Frost Elemental instead. It makes a lot more sense that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Datanon View Post
    I honestly think our elementals are very different from Shaman elementals... I mean, theirs are elements from the spirits; ours are material puppets.

Yes! It would be quite amazing if we could use Freeze by ourselves if we wanted to.

The main idea for this is to get some choices like Warlocks and Hunters. Look:
    The elementals we use are the exact same as a shaman elementals, we just get their help and power a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    The elementals we use are the exact same as a shaman elementals, we just get their help and power a different way.
    Hmm... got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire and Arcane need to stay completely petless. It's easy to say that it would be a choice, but the reality is that there really isn't much choice when it comes to choosing talents. It's easy to find the mathematically superior talents, and if they end being balanced so using a pet does more damage, PvE mages now use pets. No pets, we aren't warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Fire and Arcane need to stay completely petless. It's easy to say that it would be a choice, but the reality is that there really isn't much choice when it comes to choosing talents. It's easy to find the mathematically superior talents, and if they end being balanced so using a pet does more damage, PvE mages now use pets. No pets, we aren't warlocks.
    I'd assume the DPS wouldn't be equal (slightly out of favor for the pet), not to mention, pets are ANNOYING. Have you tried Frost in raids? Having to manage that bastard to maximize your Freezes/his DPS is just irritating.

Dare I say most (knowledgeable, skilled, and/or competitive) players would NOT use the Pet.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    The difference would be less than 3%.

Common raiders reaction: "I will take the talent that I like the most, not the one is slightly better"
    Hardcore/min-max raiders reaction: "I will take the talent that is slightly better, not the one I like the most"

Getting the best build and your favorite playstyle is utopia imo. We see that when a class is OP and a lot of people reroll to that class. The best playstyle for them is the one that got a better performance, they probably just want to get the world/realm first.

And well... this is a matter of flavor tbh. My idea is to make everyone satisfied, those who like Mages with pets and those who doesn't. Seeing that the majority like Mages w/o pets, make the talent w/o the pet be slightly (3%) more usable while we can't have a perfect balance between the talents.

This type of theorycraft crisis would apply to every single talent if you think about it. "Oh I feel bad because Living Bomb is 1,27% better for PvP and I don't like DoTs they're not for Mages", "Oh Insanity is 6,32% better for PvE and I don't like to be forced to use Mind Flay during Devouring Plague", etc.

If you care about playstyle, you shouldn't care about lesser numbers. I like to manage pets, I like the Mage spells and I wouldn't care if I had a 3% disadvantage.
    Last edited by Datanon; 2014-01-02 at 08:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no,no more pets!

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    I'm fine with the Water Elemental althought I think it should be available to all specs.
    However, I wouldn't mind being able to choose to summon a Phoenix instead.

I think it's useless to post suggestions now. Blizzard probably already has new talents implemented in place of level 90 talents

10+ Year Old Account
    Shaman shouldn't have elementals as they do. Goes against their lore.

It's mages who summon them. And besides, arcane at the very least is still up for grabs.

I'd like to see the talent be for revenants instead. I don't see why mages can't learn from the Twilight Cultists.

Considering most Mages hate the Frost pet already and the pet management system in WoW. Putting large amount of development time to this might make more Mages angry than happy.. We got bigger problems atm

Personally I'd be happy with no pets at all, but some do like them so.. Here's to wishing a petless option for Frost