Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

2013: Fewest police deaths by firearms since 1887

According to the report, 111 federal, state, local, tribal and territorial officers were killed in the line of duty nationwide this past year, compared to 121 in 2012.

Forty-six officers were killed in traffic related accidents, and 33 were killed by firearms.

The number of firearms deaths fell 33 percent in 2013 and was the lowest since 1887.

Lately you hear officers liken their jobs to that of a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan.
    I think these numbers speak for themselves.
    Seems more cops die from automobiles.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...rms-since-1887

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm much more interested in what the long term trend looks like, rather than a comparison of two years.

Assuming that graph is accurate, it's good news. I'm guessing the biggest factor in the increase in survival is the advances in medicine.
    Eat yo vegetables

Yet deaths by firearms caused by police officers... probably going up.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    I'm much more interested in what the long term trend looks like, rather than a comparison of two years.

What caused the dip in between 1999-2000?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

10+ Year Old Account
    Fewest killed, but how many wounded?

Massive advances in anti-ballistic armours and medical treatment have sent the wounded-to-killed ratio in warfare soaring.

For example, in Iraq, 7.3 soldiers are wounded for every soldier killed. In Vietnam, the ratio was 2.6:1. In WW2, it was 1.7:1

I would imagine similar figures apply to civilian firearm deaths.
    Last edited by Masark; 2013-12-30 at 09:19 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Yet deaths by firearms caused by police officers... probably going up.
    Firearm deaths aren't going up but Tazer deaths on the other hand...

10+ Year Old Account
    111? Fuck me. 1 is to bloody many. Glad I don't live there. Here we might have one cop shot AT once a year. Let alone killed by a gun.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    111? Fuck me. 1 is to bloody many. Glad I don't live there. Here we might have one cop shot AT once a year. Let alone killed by a gun.
    Lol no one mentions the fact that Forty-six officers were killed in traffic related accidents.
    Which is more than the 33 killed by fiirearms.

Apples to oranges mate. 22 million people in Australia to 335 million in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Apples to oranges mate. 22 million people in Australia to 335 million in America.
    I think a better representation would be however many guns Australia has to how many we have plus the population of course as you mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I think a better representation would be however many guns Australia has to how many we have plus the population of course as you mentioned.
    Since almost nobody owns guns since there is zero need of them it would equal out to a much lower %. Face it American as a messed up problem with guns. After the port Arthur massacre our government actually did something about removing them all. Unlike the American government.
    Aye mate

Since almost nobody owns guns since there is zero need of them it would equal out to a much lower %. Face it American as a messed up problem with guns.
    I think america has a lot of people.
    Some are mentally ill and since we are allowed to own guns here bad things can happen.
    It is likely these people would act out violently regardless of having access to guns, however guns can do a lot of harm in the wrong hands.
    I personally don't believe guns are the problem but there is another thread for that discussion.

Since almost nobody owns guns since there is zero need of them it would equal out to a much lower %. Face it American as a messed up problem with guns. After the port Arthur massacre our government actually did something about removing them all. Unlike the American government.
    I thought nearly every species in Australia could kill you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm willing to bet that America has a higher statical rate on nearly every crime than Australia does. Not just gun crimes.

Also, is it not easier to control the flow of guns into a country which is an island than one as big as North America. We simply don't have the man power to cover every inch of American borders.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought nearly every species in Australia could kill you.
    So? You aren't going to shoot a spider or a snake and if you go swimming with crocs or sting rays it is your own stupid fault if you get attacked.

I have been swimming with sting rays... Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I personally don't believe guns are the problem but there is another thread for that discussion.
    Guns arn't the problem with people getting SHOT! That is laughable.
    Aye mate

So? You aren't going to shoot a spider or a snake and if you go swimming with crocs or sting rays it is your own stupid fault if you get attacked.

I have been swimming with sting rays... Lol
    What if a dingo stole your baby?
    You might have to shoot it.
    The dingo that is...

Deleted
    of course there is less deaths when policeman first kill the person then ask questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Eonwenian View Post
    of course there is less deaths when policeman first kill the person then ask questions...
    Surely you can back up those claims?

10+ Year Old Account
    We simply don't have the man power to cover every inch of American borders.
    Why not stick an APC/IFV/Humvee/etc. every few hundred yards along the border?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Why not stick an APC/IFV/Humvee/etc. every few hundred yards along the border?
    Which border and how much does that cost?
    Why not just put military in the streets?

10+ Year Old Account
    which means if just one was killed by a firearm then statistically australia has a worse problem than the usa does :P
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P