Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a few dubstep songs I like. But, by and large, I find drum 'n bass far superior, especially liquid and intelligent.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    It really depends on the song, even if it's by an artist/band that I like. Some songs just "click" and others just don't.

Example, I like this song by AmfyBIOS:

But, I don't really care for their other songs.

I like a lot of the songs by The Glitch Mob, if that's considered dubstep.

But, lately I've been really enjoying Daft Punk's Random Access Memories album, which isn't dubstep, but falls into an electronic music category I'd suppose.

I really enjoy DnB, though I typically prefer songs without lyrics (or much lyrics), piano DnB is freaking amazing; see Feint.
    Piano DnB? You mean Liquid DnB?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    There are a few dubstep songs I like. But, by and large, I find drum 'n bass far superior, especially liquid and intelligent.
    Was just wondering what is some of your favorite Liquid artists? I personally love Maduk,Feint,and the best... Netsky (maybe mainstream but still great)

Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    "A sampler (or, in the case of only playback, called sample player or Rompler) is an electronic musical instrument similar in some respects to a synthesizer but, instead of generating sounds, it uses recordings (or "samples") of sounds that are loaded or recorded into it by the user"

I dunno, a person can pick up a guitar and play notes. A person can sit down at a piano and play notes. A person can strum a harp and play notes. A person can be given a sampler and do...well, nothing with it, until they use OTHER sounds to make it functional. You don't need to record other sounds to make a guitar, or bass, or whatever functional as musical instruments...

I think that might be what the person you were responding to was saying. You can't just pick up and play a random sampler.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont care for it. It sounds okay SOMETIMES but, its gotta hit me in the FEELS and this doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    "A sampler (or, in the case of only playback, called sample player or Rompler) is an electronic musical instrument similar in some respects to a synthesizer but, instead of generating sounds, it uses recordings (or "samples") of sounds that are loaded or recorded into it by the user"

I dunno, a person can pick up a guitar and play notes. A person can sit down at a piano and play notes. A person can strum a harp and play notes. A person can be given a sampler and do...well, nothing with it, until they use OTHER sounds to make it functional. You don't need to record other sounds to make a guitar, or bass, or whatever functional as musical instruments...

I think that might be what the person you were responding to was saying. You can't just pick up and play a random sampler.
    it was just an example

i guess
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer
    is better

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I dont care for it. It sounds okay SOMETIMES but, its gotta hit me in the FEELS and this doesn't.
    inb4 someone posts Burial. It's not actually dubstep guise.

Deleted
    Some tracks made couple years back i liked, nowadays they suck all.. Not one single good one. Could be that im just bored of the whole genre, as it sounds to me that every dubstep track nowadays has the exact same thing going. The genre needs some originality.

You can't just pick up and play a random sampler.
    Of course you can. Sample technology is brilliant nowadays. All you need is playable samples and a MIDI keyboard. It still requires musical knowledge and playing ability, of course. But the point is: musical education is what it comes down to, not where the sound comes from.

For example: this whole piece has been entirely created with samples from the Vienna Symphonic Library.

Those aren't pre-recorded melodies or patterns or something like that. Everything you hear could be played on the keyboard note-per-note, just like you would play a synthesizer, a guitar or whatever.

Of course, you don't need any musical education whatsoever to fool around with synths and create Dubstep. But you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    For example: this whole piece has been entirely created with samples from the Vienna Symphonic Library.
    And yet without that library that random sampler Y might not have...you cannot create it? Doesn't that sorta go with what I was saying?

And yet without that library that random sampler Y might not have...you cannot create it? Doesn't that sorta go with what I was saying?
    Don't quite get the point. You can't make accordeon music if you don't have an accordeon. Without a guitar, you'll have a hard time creating guitar music. You might have a guitar, but without any strings, it won't make a sound ... you could also argue that an electric bass isn't an instrument because it won't work without an amplifier - or an electric socket.

The point is that anything that enables you to deliberately produce tones of varying pitch or length can be used as a musical instrument. How the sound is created or where it comes from is completely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzleMyGrizzle View Post
    Yeah, I enjoy that type of music quite a bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1hWi-vgoaU is one of my favorites.

Deleted
    A few years ago I used to listen to the harder (thats how I describe it) dubstep like Flux Pavilion, Doctor P,...
    Now I can barely stand those songs and listen to calm dubstep like Burial, Phaeleh

and minimal dubstep like Kromestar, V.I.V.E.K.,...

As a whole i'm not very into the genre but there are parts i enjoy. Chillstep is second behind only electric swing for long periods of gaming. I tend to like dubstep more when it's been used as a remix for other songs. 2 of my favorites follow.
    http://youtu.be/FgiV3MJuPeY This is an Imagine Dragons -radioactive dubstep remix set very nicely to the ac3 trailer

next up http://youtu.be/-0oZNWif_jk meg & dia - monster dubstep remix.
    We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—
    World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams:
    Yet we are the movers and shakers, Of the world for ever, it seems.

-1st stanza, Ode by: Arthur O'Shaughnessy

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzleMyGrizzle View Post
    Aha.. did it become mainstream for about a year or two when Skrillex hit and then slowly died out over time?
    Ye kinda but i dont think mainstream is the perfect name but it did become popular because of skrillex but it has been dying for a while now.

What i find lame about dubstep is that some bands and artist started trying it in their own music and 9/10 failed to be succesfull with it.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2013-12-31 at 01:39 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by lilatia View Post
    As a whole i'm not very into the genre but there are parts i enjoy. Chillstep is second behind only electric swing for long periods of gaming. I tend to like dubstep more when it's been used as a remix for other songs. 2 of my favorites follow.
    http://youtu.be/FgiV3MJuPeY This is an Imagine Dragons -radioactive dubstep remix set very nicely to the ac3 trailer

next up http://youtu.be/-0oZNWif_jk meg & dia - monster dubstep remix.
    im only replying to this because i randomly heard that radioactive remix on the radio recently. it sounds like absolute fucking garbage compared to the original.

I hate it. Whenever I hear it I turn off the radio or cover my ears. It's the biggest trash of the music. Well I can't even call it music as it is just random beating and wubing and using of weird sounds.
    You are ready to be accepted in some mental institution if you like that...

every song is essentially the same...and the people who like it are always like "Woaaaaa duuuude! sick drops!!!!" or "this song so nasty bro". Need I say more...

I don't go out of my way to listen to it, but about 4 or 5 of my closest friends love trap so they will play that when i'm around and i do enjoy it. I don't think i can go for a long time listening to it though like i can with other genres.

I don't mind some dubstep but I dislike how songs just sound the same throughout the entire thing.
    It just gets boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolvanish View Post
    I don't go out of my way to listen to it, but about 4 or 5 of my closest friends love trap so they will play that when i'm around and i do enjoy it. I don't think i can go for a long time listening to it though like i can with other genres.
    So I was right the kool kids have moved on to trap.