Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why wasn't Deathwing more like Smaug?

If Blizz had given Deathwing more of a personality like Smaug, I might have enjoyed Cata more.
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.

If Blizz had given Deathwing a personality, I might have enjoyed Cata more.

Deleted
    Because Deathwing was insane while Smaug wasn't.

Big difference there.

Deleted
    Isn't Smaug addicted to gold? haven't seen the 2nd movie yet.
    Makes Deathwing more sane than he is .

Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    Smaug is the original treasure-hoarding dragon. Deathwing was just an idiot.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Deleted
    Because that would involve Blizzard being able to travel back in time after seeing Smaug visualized on big screen, writing Deathwing to be exactly like him, then getting into legal trouble with the owners of the Hobbit IP.

If we had actually gotten to fight deathwing instead of killing scabs on his back and killing some tentacles in the water, I might have liked Cata more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Because that would involve Blizzard being able to travel back in time after seeing Smaug visualized on big screen, writing Deathwing to be exactly like him, then getting into legal trouble with the owners of the Hobbit IP.
    Or... having read the Hobbit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    They already copied Lotr, what's the diff?
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.

He was like Smaug for a time.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Fafnir says "hi".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    Smaug is uber cool as a dragon. He has a lot of swagger -- gold chains and all, lol.

Because that would involve Blizzard being able to travel back in time after seeing Smaug visualized on big screen, writing Deathwing to be exactly like him, then getting into legal trouble with the owners of the Hobbit IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    Or... having read the Hobbit.
    Which I assume at least 1 person at blizzard has done, at least once.

A dying Blood Elf in the Ghostlands gives a quest called Anok'suten. One of the rewards for killing this elite (a giant spider) is a one-handed sword called Stung. This is an obvious reference to Sting, which is Bilbo's sword in The Hobbit, used effectively against spiders in the book. He later gives it to Frodo in LotR.

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Someone has clearly never head of the tale of Sigurd and the curse of the ring. Sigurd's uncle Fafnir turns into a treasure hoarding dragon. And the tales of Sigurd have been around for centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-12-31 at 11:07 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deathwing used to be affably evil (friendly chat respectful cunningly evil) but by the time of cata he's long past that point and absolutely insane and going further into it every moment.

Because people bitched about Arthas being EVERYWHERE so they dialed back Deathwing's appearances in-game to the point that people didn't really know who Deathwing was other than being some RAWR DRAGON.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Which I assume at least 1 person at blizzard has done, at least once.

A dying Blood Elf in the Ghostlands gives a quest called Anok'suten. One of the rewards for killing this elite (a giant spider) is a one-handed sword called Stung. This is an obvious reference to Sting, which is Bilbo's sword in The Hobbit, used effectively against spiders in the book. He later gives it to Frodo in LotR.
    I'm just pointing out how silly it is to think that Blizz would have no way of knowing how Smaug would be without waiting for the movie to come out and then time travel back to copy it. His depiction was pretty darn close to the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    I'm just pointing out how silly it is to think that Blizz would have no way of knowing how Smaug would be without waiting for the movie to come out and then time travel back to copy it. His depiction was pretty darn close to the book.
    I wasn't question that. Blizzard have clearly read the book. Blizz knows how to make a compelling villian, yet often they choose not to.
    For a lot of peoplethey have no idea who Deathwing is. They have no idea who he is or what he did during the second war. Deathwing gets a tiny mention in TBC in blade edge, then nothing again until cataclysm when he fly around randomly burning stuff then we fight him, but we don't really fight him perse as we spend the majory of the fights fighting elementals and tentacles.

Arthas by contrast is built up through many quests in both WPL and EPL, he appears multiple times at various locations in Northrend, even zones he doesn't appear in he is mentioned due to his armies being there. Then we finally get to face him and he is pretty much as you would expect him to he, he is arrogant, he had his plan worked out from the beginning (we kill off his minions he knew would fail him and he tries to turn us after he kills us).

Deathwing on the otherhand is just RAGE! HATE! THIS IS YOUR DEATH! With no real expansion of the character.

What little there is of him in the books Smaug what you would expect of him, he is arrogant, he pompous. He enjoys pain and suffering but it doesn't always have to be the direct cause of it, which if he was would no doubt be fiery and destructive. I loved the part where he tells bilbo that he is almost tempted to let him take the gem if only to see Thorin succumb to his greed and be consumed and destroyed by it.

Deathwing had the potential to be something grander but they failed.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    Because he fell even deeper into Old God's madness than ever, turning him into a retarded death lizard.

So Deathwing should have been more like Nefarian in vanilla? I do agree, Nef is probably one of the best villains created specifically for WoW, it is a shame that they didn't give him more of a story line in cata. (heck they should have replaced all the Cho'gall appearances with a Nef story because the Cho'gall stuff was mostly stupid and many players probably skipped the last quests because they dinged 85 before completing twilight highlands)
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    The problem is not that Deathwing should have been more like Nefarian, the problem is that Deathwing shouldn't have been Cataclysm's end boss, because at final, Cata is more of an N'Zoth themed expansion than a Deathwing expansion, N'Zoth turned Deahtwing into a retarded minion in the lore, and that's how he is represented in the game.