Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Building up the poverty stricken here in the US.

Poverty levels and handouts have largely become a large problem here in the US. I don't feel as though links to info on this subject are necessary, but what if we could do something about it?

Why not require (through law somehow, if possible) all corporations that are publicly traded on wall street and have profits over a certain limit (lets over 1 billion) to donate a portion of every dollar after that ( say .5% or 1% or something else entirely) to a fund that has completely transparent books, and is run by a board of trustees that are voted on by the public and have guaranteed jail time for theft/embezzlement.

This board would oversee the funds strictly for the use of buying building materials for building/repairing homes in the poverty areas and providing said materials directly to homes in need all over the US (think ghettos, not aimed at race here just the problem). Now you may ask who is going to do all the work?
    The people living in those places, allow them to have access to all the materials they need free of charge and make them do the work and create appreciation in the process. Allow them to in turn for doing it themselves be further rewarded and pay off the house to whoever owns it and give them the deed to the land and house.

The idea is obviously not fully thought out and in need of lots of scrutiny before being adopted for actual use, but I am curious of what people think of the idea. IMHO I believe that it is ultimately humans duty to help another human in need. But I also believe in hard work and not getting handouts forever. It was just something I thought about the other night. I think that in order to help the poverty and crime problem we have to come up with something new, because whatever we are doing now is failing bad.

Please do NOT start any political, religious, racism, etc. talk in this thread. Keep it civil and don't call people names, etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes lets tax the rich to feed the poor because who needs rich people to invest and hire poor people, we can all just live off welfare and shop at walmart and use obama phones.

GO LRN TO ECONOMICS

Legalize pot. Let poor people grow pot. Poor people now rich. Thanks free market.

Who said anything about feeding them? Im also against the welfare programs in their current state and also against obama phones. Im talking about living conditions of homes in poverty areas, if they had no house payment and a nice home to live in then they could live off minimum wage. They could even afford a car payment, utilities and the occasional night out for fun.

I also listed an extremely low tax that only applies after a high profit is hit. Make it some sort of taxright off, 1/2 a penny on every dollar after 1 billion isn't really all that much in the grand scheme of things no?

I also am all for creating 30 million jobs almost overnight through pot legalizing. And legalizing gambling with high taxes on winnings over a certain threshold. And prostitution while your at it.
    Last edited by maxiixam; 2014-01-01 at 01:32 AM.

you have no idea how housing markets work do you, or free markets of any kind. you say you are against welfare but you want profitable companys to build up valuable neighborhoods and then give them to people because they are poor...By law no less, How dumb is you?

Deleted
    Wiki: "In November 2012 the U.S. Census Bureau said more than 16% of the population lived in poverty in the United States, including almost 20% of American children, up from 14.3% (approximately 43.6 million)".

43.600.000 individuals! According to the Congressional Budget Office, between 1979 and 2007 incomes of the top 1% of Americans grew by an average of 275%.

Prepare for an revolution within 20 years if nothing is done.

A lot of the people in those areas won't work. Evict the housing projects and section 8, then give them the option.
    How will someone who has never worked at all know how to do repair and construction. Those materials will end up sold to scrap yards, or sold under the table for cash same with the tools that the pawnshop will not take.

You giving someone materials and tools, they sell it and then what is done, do you lock them up? When they are out do they get another chance at it?

Make support programs uncomfortable, require effort from those in them and make them temporary. They closed a section 8 apartment complex here, people complained about having to move even when given section 8 houses to live in, created more run down properties and spread out the problem. One woman had lived in that complex for 48 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Yes lets tax the rich to feed the poor because who needs rich people to invest and hire poor people, we can all just live off welfare and shop at walmart and use obama phones.

GO LRN TO ECONOMICS

Legalize pot. Let poor people grow pot. Poor people now rich. Thanks free market.
    actually you're right, the rich aren't investing and hiring poor people, they're selling off americans to hire slave wage laborours in the third world. lowering taxes only enabled this to happen. your "poor people grow pot, poor people become rich" is laughable especially after saying go learn economics. actually I just noticed you said 'obamaphones' so I know your whole post is a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    actually you're right, the rich aren't investing and hiring poor people, they're selling off americans to hire slave wage laborours in the third world. lowering taxes only enabled this to happen. your "poor people grow pot, poor people become rich" is laughable especially after saying go learn economics. actually I just noticed you said 'obamaphones' so I know your whole post is a joke.
    The rich aren't investing because the federal government has created the conditions whereby investment would actually be malinvestment.

edit: And taxes have only gone up, not down. Merge all new taxes and that beats all bush tax cuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maxiixam View Post
    Who said anything about feeding them? Im also against the welfare programs in their current state and also against obama phones. Im talking about living conditions of homes in poverty areas, if they had no house payment and a nice home to live in then they could live off minimum wage. They could even afford a car payment, utilities and the occasional night out for fun.

I also listed an extremely low tax that only applies after a high profit is hit. Make it some sort of taxright off, 1/2 a penny on every dollar after 1 billion isn't really all that much in the grand scheme of things no?

I also am all for creating 30 million jobs almost overnight through pot legalizing. And legalizing gambling with high taxes on winnings over a certain threshold. And prostitution while your at it.
    The feeding part was just an exaggeration. You can't just give out free houses, its not how the world works. There are ways around this and welfare isn't the way. We've tried and tested it for far too long.
    Last edited by Kivimetsan; 2014-01-01 at 02:28 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I worked for a utility company once and a collector walked in and laughed about an acct that reached 5k. The acct was on New Albany Rd and anyone familiar with the area knows it is not cheap. The acct was being paid for by Uncle Sam.

https://www.google.com/#q=New+Albany...%2C+New+Jersey

Morale of the story.

Offer a child a suitcase full of sweets and they'll take it. Offer someone all of time and space and they'll take that too. Which is why you shouldn't. Which is why grown-ups were invented.-D. Who
    You cared enough to post.

I like how everyone wants to put more and more taxes on the rich when there are tons of people out there not paying any taxes at all and buying brand new cars, TVs, and all kinds of other junk.

If it weren't for rich people, I wouldn't have a job. If those other people actually paid taxes, my taxes would be lower and there'd probably be a lot more tax money coming in. You want to punish the ones that are providing a service and not the ones that are leaching.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Yeah definetly no middle ground to be found there

- - - Updated - - -

The rich aren't investing because the federal government has created the conditions whereby investment would actually be malinvestment.
    Which is why the stock market is in collapse right?

- - - Updated - - -

edit: And taxes have only gone up, not down. Merge all new taxes and that beats all bush tax cuts.
    Which new taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    I like how everyone wants to put more and more taxes on the rich when there are tons of people out there not paying any taxes at all and buying brand new cars, TVs, and all kinds of other junk.

If it weren't for rich people, I wouldn't have a job. If those other people actually paid taxes, my taxes would be lower and there'd probably be a lot more tax money coming in. You want to punish the ones that are providing a service and not the ones that are leaching.
    Hey man....that's a hard decision to make. Rims or rent....rims or rent.....hmmmmm, what to do what to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The economy is doing good. You should cut taxes."
    "The economy is doing bad. You should cut taxes."
    "We're running a deficit. You should cut taxes"
    "We're almost running a surplus. You should cut taxes."
    "I stubbed my toe. You should cut taxes."

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post

Except it IS the rich who are leeching. They funnel money out of america into their own pocket books like they're a godsdamned hole in the spacetime continuum.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Hey man....that's a hard decision to make. Rims or rent....rims or rent.....hmmmmm, what to do what to do.

When section 8 will pay the rent you dont have to choose.

People I hear always say they have no money driver nicer cars, have nicer phones, and have nicer clothes than I do, they also have money eat at nice resturants and buy drugs, but dont have money for rent, water, power and groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    When section 8 will pay the rent you dont have to choose.

People I hear always say they have no money driver nicer cars, have nicer phones, and have nicer clothes than I do, they also have money eat at nice resturants and buy drugs, but dont have money for rent, water, power and groceries.
    Oh well I'm sure your personal completely unbiased perspective is a great source to base your conclusionso n.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Oh well I'm sure your personal completely unbiased perspective is a great source to base your conclusionso n.

What I see in my area on a regular basis forms my opinion.

At least some people have money and try not to spend it those I can deal with, those who use EBT and load it into a newer E-350 are the ones I have problems with.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    What I see in my area on a regular basis forms my opinion.
    And what you see is a tiny microcosm of a huge set of people. Nor is simply perceiving something an unbiased act. You undoubtedly operate with a level of confirmation bias.

Cute. But by your logic the richer the richest are, the most jobs will be created. Yet we see the opposite.

Therefore, yes, tax the rich. They can afford it. Tax them so damn much that they are forced to employ people to reduce their taxes. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    And what you see is a tiny microcosm of a huge set of people. Nor is simply perceiving something an unbiased act. You undoubtedly operate with a level of confirmation bias.
    And what do you see in your area, do you look?

"they are cutting off my unemployment it ran out" from someone who does not look for or want a job, instead spending their day melting down and shooing up pills.
    Their 3 kids get to eat though thanks to EBT and medicaid pays the doctor bills.