Page 1 of 2
LastLast

expansion without content

I think it would be very wise for wow to release an expansion that has nothing to do with game progression. By that i mean an expansion with new races, numerous aesthetic options. and so forth. this could be removed from the linear expansion model (i.e. could be purchased and function with only classic wow) and would not improve gameplay for buyers. this would be similar to in-game store purchases, but just a broader package of things (races that are unobtainable otherwise would be the big seller). I, for one, would buy it.

One of the worst ideas I've seen for a while.
    Ffs, it's spelled Sylvanas! Get it right!

Quote Originally Posted by Viconia View Post
    One of the worst ideas I've seen for a while.
    I have to agree with this. Raid content and new zones are what makes the majority of the playerbase come back year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    I think it would be very wise for wow to release an expansion that has nothing to do with game progression. By that i mean an expansion with new races, numerous aesthetic options. and so forth. this could be removed from the linear expansion model (i.e. could be purchased and function with only classic wow) and would not improve gameplay for buyers. this would be similar to in-game store purchases, but just a broader package of things (races that are unobtainable otherwise would be the big seller). I, for one, would buy it.
    It's an RPG, without progression it's not. It'll be pony land with sparkly and shiny rewards.
    Maybe there's a game suitable for this, but it's not WoW.

Added alongside of normal content is fine.
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)

What you're describing is closer to DLC than an expansion pack. (Ignoring that some companies call the latter the former now.) It isn't adding to why people stick with the game but rather fleshing out little things that make them feel attached to their little bubble but otherwise has only a very short-term effect on keeping people subscribed.

If people don't have somewhere to go and something to accomplish, they don't really want to be on the journey.

Yeah this is not something I would pay for. I don't need pretty things I need stuff to do.

this is not supposed to be instead of normal content, just something on the side that would have some cool stuff. lots of people would buy it for new races. they could make millions

The Patient
    i dont think we need to pay extra for things that should just be included with xpacs like usual. id rather they spent time making content then adding more races and other shit to sell me.

I think OP means that this "expansion pack" is optional and isn't required to continue normal play. It would probably sell, the question would be if it sells enough to get back what they have to spend to make it.

*looks at OP with raised eyebrow and turns around, leaving the room. * no. shoo be gone.. it would kill the game, till they realised huh, (which thankfully they already know) people want other raid instances etc. so no. shoo be gone.. ok? done.

"Pay $30 for stuff that we've released in the past for free."

No.
    Unsubscribed 3/10/2014 - 8/14/2014.
    "Times change."

Beware the claims of yearly expansions. It's not more hype more often, it's paying more for less. Fewer tiers, no more new levels, no more new races/classes, but an ever-increasing price tag....

That would cripple wow

Master Suite at 10 Downing ST. SW. AZ. 11111
    You mean an E.A DLC?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise REGGIE! MY BODY IS READY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

If it was a small patch rather than a expansion I'd support your idea.

A whole expansion without progression? That would ruin WoW.

The word you are looking for is patch ... not an expansion.

What's the worst that can happen to you ...

This is the kind of thing they sell in f2p games, not sub games. Why would you want to pay extra for stuff that should be and already is included in the regular expansion/patch cycle? In WoW races are more then just new skins, they are tied into the story of the game. The only thing I could see them doing something like this with would be sub-races but even then I think they would be far more likely and better off to just include them in the next regular expansion.

That's more like DLC. But the same could be done via the ingame shop. Unlock new playable race: Kobolds! Only $50.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

You mean, a Call of Duty stylised DLC ?
    No thanks.
    Requests : Open | Deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    .......because when people complain about lacking content, it's clearly a GREAT IDEA to release a WHOLE expansion WITHOUT content????

BAD BAD idea.. This is not Rift or Path of Exile.. We do not want massive cosmetic changes for money...

That's a really bad idea. Even as a single patch, that's just not acceptable anymore. If content wasn't nearly so easily and rapidly devoured, like in Classic/Burning Crusade days, then this might be possible. But to think they would do something like that nowadays is delusional.