Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanlock View Post
    Hey! So basically im a guy who has always had a problem whenever I left the shower... Whenever i do so my hair gets extremely puffy, in a way which makes me look like a giant bobblehead or if I had some sort of afro, so I tend to wear a beanie to completely flatten it out. Iv tried loads of recommended shampooes and conditioners but the result has always ended up the same. I also try to only use it a couple of times a week.

Anybody who knows how to end my struggle? Im sick and tired of wearing a beanie for an hour every time I leave the shower....

-The issue occurs both when i have semi short and semi long hair... :/ Halp pleez!
    Blow dry your hair and comb it down whilst doing so. You can also invest in a hair straightener which you plug into the wall (it only takes like 5 minutes to do). I have curly/frizzy hair and I use it to tame it. Once it is straightened to a degree you desire you can use a product to style your hair in cool ways. Just make sure you avoid gels and other hair products that contain water as they will return the frizz to your hair.

I suggest you get it cut first and keep it short. If you decide to straighten it a bit which I suggest make sure you invest in a small straightener because as a boy your hair probably won't be long enough to benefit from a full size one, I use a mini. Also if you use a full size straightener you'll probably end up burning yourself like I used to.

If you do decide to straighten your hair I also suggest you get it cut into straight styles instead of frizzy styles. That way when you go to straighten your hair it will be far easier to style it.

Use hair spray to lock the hair into place but don't overdue it or your head will stink and little white pieces will be visible in your hair.

As someone with naturally frizzy/curly hair you have to accept that if you don't put a little effort into it you're hair will be a mess. It takes me about 15 minutes in the morning to do my hair, if you can't at least do that then you'll either have to maintain a really short cut or deal with the frizz.

Credentials: I'm a gay guy with curly, frizzy hair.
    Last edited by Puck; 2014-01-01 at 06:10 AM.

Hey! So basically im a guy who has always had a problem whenever I left the shower... Whenever i do so my hair gets extremely puffy, in a way which makes me look like a giant bobblehead or if I had some sort of afro, so I tend to wear a beanie to completely flatten it out. Iv tried loads of recommended shampooes and conditioners but the result has always ended up the same. I also try to only use it a couple of times a week.

Anybody who knows how to end my struggle? Im sick and tired of wearing a beanie for an hour every time I leave the shower....

-The issue occurs both when i have semi short and semi long hair... :/ Halp pleez!
    Well, if you're going to stay with medium length hair... I would suggest the Sleek and Shine Collection by Garnier Fructis.

http://www.garnierusa.com/_EN/_US/sl...ine/index.aspx

I have wavy hair that poofs up. I recently got a faux hawk cut along the lines of...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Bxz5zy-jeS...id-Beckham.jpg

So, it really doesn't matter any more. I blow dry my hair and use a little wax for texture and it takes about 3 minutes to style. Good luck!
    Last edited by Dolus; 2014-01-01 at 07:41 AM.

Avoid cheap and expensive shampoos with a lot of alcohol. They dry your hair. I actually recommend a cycle of two different shampoos, with one of them being a GOOD shampoo and the other being a clarifying shampoo if you use product. I personally use the Ojon Tawaka, but I also have a stockpile of it because it's been discontinued. There are probably a lot of good discount store shampoos out there that can be used in the same way, like Organix which is about 6.00 for each shampoo and conditioner bottle you buy. 6.00 isn't really a lot though, and if it does seem like it is, you can justify the cost by how long each bottle will actually last you.

I have long hair, and if I over wash it, it will inflate to an unmanageable, untamed mane. The secret is to wash it with the least amount of shampoo needed just to get through your hair. It doesn't need to lather, just needs to be gently worked through. Don't use your nails on your scalp, but gentle massaging/circular motions. Rinse completely and thoroughly. Then, condition the entire head by wringing the hair out, applying the conditioner like a masque, wait 5 minutes and then rinse it completely out as well. Finish off with a blast of ultra cool, even cold water. It's best not to use any styling products as they always contain alcohol, or mat it down or brushing/combing it while wet. Brushing, styling and combing your hair while wet actually breaks the hair, causing it to fly-a-away, or appear damaged. By matting it down with a beanie, you are also trapping moisture against your scalp, which will lead to dandruff or worse.

I do not recommend washing your hair again for another 2 days and when you do, on what would now be the "5'th" day, unless you sweat or work out a lot, then only power rinse your hair and gently massage the scalp all over under mildly warm water, skip shampoo entirely and condition only the ends, once more rinsing completely and using the cool water over the scalp and tendrils.

Basically, with this method, you will only be shampooing your hair every 8 days...

Friday = Wash Hair + Condition with your regular shampoo/conditioner
    Saturday = Whatever, but don't wash it.
    Sunday = Whatever, but don't wash it.
    Monday = Whatever, but don't wash it.
    Tuesday = Rinse hair very well, massage scalp, condition. Rinse well.
    Wednesday = Whatever, but don't wash it.
    Thursday = Whatever, but don't wash it.
    Friday = Wash hair, + Condition with your regular shampoo/conditioner

Repeat the week, but on every other shampoo day, use the clarifying shampoo. If you don't use a lot of styling product, or any at all, then clarifying shampoo might not even be needed. It really depends on how thick and healthy your hair is, how clean you manage to keep it and how active you are throughout the week, or the environment that you work in.

Conditioner is an absolute must, by the way, as it is made by man to try and replicate the natural oil production of the roots that shampooing actually STRIPS. Shampooing in itself is fairly destructive to the hair, which is why I feel it's very important to use the gentle/best that you can afford, which isn't to say that a shampoo has to be expensive to be good! This isn't true as there is a lot of overpriced junk over there, so just read the labels.

Now that care is over with, it's time to consider a shaping cut. If you don't have the right shape for your texture/face, you're going to feel like you look awkward and probably do. It's important to avoid beauty schools and 'salons' that hire people fresh out of beauty school. They don't know your hair yet. They don't know the head yet and they need time to learn. Avoid barber shops and the hen house your grandmother has been going to for 50 years. Find someone who specializes in your hair type, and if you have to pay a little extra for it, it's worth it. Hair is -very- important, and anyone who says it isn't, already went bald or has such naturally flawless/effortless hair, they have never had to work at it.

Everyone can have beautiful hair if they're willing to work at it.

P.S. For those recommending oils in hair. Don't do this more than once a month, use a VERY SMALL amount, and skip the mass marketed trash. If you want pure luxury, use pure coconut oil (5.00), or almond oil treatments every couple of weeks. You'll feel and look like a movie star if your hair is longer. Just skimp on the amount and make sure you rinse your hair very, very well. It's often recommended to follow up an oil treatment with an apple-cider vinegar/water rinse.
    Last edited by Pandaemonium; 2014-01-02 at 06:18 AM.

Deleted
    Just get a short haircut. It's much easier to manage and it looks better! No need to worry about wearing a beanie or worrying about how often you should wash your hair.

I will try and look into getting one of those combs, it might just be the answer
    It's a very good tool. I honestly haven't been to a haircutter for years. (no I don't have long hair). One of those combs and a scissors is all I need. Oh, and a couple mirrors. The scissors do the heavy lifting, and the comb is to finish a bit for the look I like to have.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Stop using shampoo so often. You're depleting all that natural oil in your hair that makes it looks sexy. Constantly get complicates on my hair since changing my routine, both in look and feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrllish View Post
    Stop using shampoo so often. You're depleting all that natural oil in your hair that makes it looks sexy. Constantly get complicates on my hair since changing my routine, both in look and feel.
    Depending on your lifestyle and place of living, your hair may or may not begin to stink pretty quickly. Examples, if you're a smoker, or if you're in a cold place and don't wash your hat, or if you're in a warm place and sweat a lot.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on your hair and especially true as a man, you don't need to shampoo your hair that often.

I never see oil in my hair, so shampooing it too often absolutely destroys it. This "ew" expression that other people might get from that should take a closer look at themselves. I mean, I think it's gross that your hair gets filled with lots of oil and gets nappy.

My skin is naturally dry and likely so is my scalp. Another friend I know complained to my once that his hair gets really oily in one day. People are different. Go figure.

Deleted
    How about keeping your hair short? Looks a lot cleaner.

If you have issues with balding and you grow your hair long to mask it, you'll look ridiculous. The best way to mask balding is to keep your hair at a length of no more than 3-10mm.

Deleted
    I keep my hair short, considering it gets super fucking greasy and its a pain in the ass.

Deleted
    I suffer from the same thing, as a girl with quite short hair, it goes all puffy after I wash it. Trick is to thin it out like mad every time you get it cut, use conditioning oils, and get some heat protection spray and straightening irons. Use GHD's because they are good. Cheap straighteners can burn your hair and take longer to heat up etc.

Hope that helps!

Edit: also, if you know you have to go somewhere where your hair has to be immaculate, wash it the day before, not on the day.

Deleted
    I've recently started shaving it to 8mm and I've never been happier. It's free, it's easy, it's instantly dry, and I don't have to check a mirror every few hours.