Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Blizzard's newest venture

I had to just shake my head and laugh at this one.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/31/52...-annual-passes

Purchasable Boosts-to-90s? Sounds reasonable, for 20 or 30 bucks. I'd be fine with that. The only thing I would like is to see that you actually have to level a toon to 90 first before being able to buy insta 90s for all your other toons.

World of Warcraft's annual pass program awarded bonus items and benefits — like a free copy of Diablo 3 — to those who invested in a year-long subscription. The survey asks if players would be interested in joining a new program. Other questions inquire how likely players are to purchase the game's upcoming expansion, Warlords of Draenor, at several price points. Those potential scenarios include a $39 or $49 price for the expansion with a free level 90 upgrade, and a $39 price that does not include the upgrade.

The survey also alludes that the character upgrade might be available to purchase on its own.
    Interesting stuff.

They must be really hurting for cash.

fuck that shit. . . play the game or gtfo

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    not necessarily it could just be that they have an option to provide a service that they know people may want after it's first introduced and feel that charging people the full price of an expansion for that one part of it won't fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xayl1 View Post
    not necessarily it could just be that they have an option to provide a service that they know people may want after it's first introduced and feel that charging people the full price of an expansion for that one part of it won't fly.
    Charging full price of an expansion for what? Many people may want it, but it's going to push more people away.

The reason why they are likely to do this is pretty simple as they themselves stated: even without implementing this, you'd still be able to buy a level 90 with the boost to 90. You'd just buy another copy of WoD use the free 90 and transfer said character to your account.

Theres nothing really new to see or conclude from here: A for-profit company in a capitalist economy is testing the waters to find new ways to expand and maximise revenue. /gasp, /surprise

What would be really interesting to see (and we never will) is the results.

Deleted
    I would pay $0 for a free 90. I mean seriously, who doesn't have a 90 by now? The issue isn't that it's too hard to level up anymore, and it's not hard for casuals to catch up, so why the 90? Sorry for changing topics, on a serious note, is this survey by email or in-game? I have yet to receive anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Theres nothing really new to see or conclude from here: A for-profit company in a capitalist economy is testing the waters to find new ways to expand and maximise revenue. /gasp, /surprise

What would be really interesting to see (and we never will) is the results.
    Yeah. They could make money selling gear too. /gasp

But there is integrity, and believing in your product and not taking the easy way out. This is just a quick cash grab. Because they could go alot further, and they know it if /gasp "They were looking for new ways to expand and maximize revenue". And this is getting really, really close to a F2P model. They could have done this in BC, Wrath, wherever. But they didn't. Because they need money now. ANd this is risky. The game is faster than ever to level, it's faster than ever to gear, and people are leaving in droves. This pay for 90 thing is going to hasten that.
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2014-01-01 at 05:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never saw this survey.

Yeah. They could make money selling gear too. /gasp
    Slippery Slope fallacy.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2014-01-01 at 05:21 AM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Like it has been said if they dont offer it after WoD people will buy an account with WoD get the 90 move it and cancel, i suspect it will cost 30-40 to buy a lvl 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Slippery Slope fallacy.
    Same fallacy when players cried for realm transfers, realm transfers to pvp servers or faction changes would happen and Blizzard said no? It's not a fallacy because he's not using it as an argument; it's the next likely cash shop step for Blizzard, but likely one that will never come as it goes against the current subscription model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xayl1 View Post
    More like blatant capitalism for blatant capitalism's sake. Blizzard knows they have a monopoly, Blizzard also knows they can squeeze a lot of money out of the more financially stable veterans of their game.

Smart business move? Hell yeah, profit. Yet, the more and more services and store items they continually push behind a dollar price, the more my theory of how WoW might become f2p holds reign.

Or, blatant capitalism. Yeah, it's probably just capitalism.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

I've never purchased any of Blizzards cash shop items. I feel they are over priced. $15 for a pet, 25$ for a mount. If they were around half that price I'd think about getting something or other. Being that low of a price I'd feel fine with getting an item here or there. In summary: I'd never pay what they offer now but with lower pricing they may end up making more in the long run. I'd pay like $10 for a character boost to 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Purchasable Boosts-to-90s? Sounds reasonable, for 20 or 30 bucks. I'd be fine with that. The only thing I would like is to see that you actually have to level a toon to 90 first before being able to buy insta 90s for all your other toons.
    Not so practicable since one of the main reasons for Blizz doing this is to attract former players back to the game. They are probably at level 80 (wotlk) and would not want to go thru 10 levels at launch just to play with everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to just shake my head and laugh at this one.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/31/52...-annual-passes
    probably the first of many trial balloons for this all important xpac. But the fact they are talking price for an insta-90 suggests they are going farther than giving us 1 freebie just for buying the xpac.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    Interesting stuff.
    Especially since the last annual pass and free Diablo 3 worked so well in keeping players subs.
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.

This just confirms for me that Blizzard's trying to kill WoW to release Titan. This will hurt the game like never before in too many ways.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Charging full price of an expansion for what? Many people may want it, but it's going to push more people away.
    You keep saying that, but why do you think that? Did you quit over cosmetic helms? vanity pets? mounts? Recruit-a-friend? scroll of resurrection? Faction change? Server transfers? So why would you quit over someone being able to pay a fee to have a character that's 10 levels below level cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    This just confirms for me that Blizzard's trying to kill WoW to release Titan. This will hurt the game like never before in too many ways.
    Yup they're trying to kill their cash cow so they can release a game several years from now. Do you know what the biggest hurdle is for a new player or returning player from a previous expansion? Leveling. (Yeah there are some people who enjoy leveling.) This is their way of getting around that, and now that they're losing some subscribers they want to make the game more accessible and more stable, and this is how they're doing that. It's not going to kill WoW. It's going to encourage some people to come back to WoW, and I really doubt anyone is going to quit over this. "Oh yeah bro I'm quitting WoW because like someone slipped Blizzard a $20 and now they're 10 levels lower than me! Totally outrageous."
    Last edited by RoKPaNda; 2014-01-01 at 05:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They finally got it that the game was headed in wrong direction. Two unsuccessful xpacs in a row, they were a little slow on the uptake in realizing this.
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.