Deleted

What does the removal of Dot snap shoting mean for ferals?

Ive not played feral for long but i can see it being my long term main but im just wondering from more experience ferals what dot snap shoting will mean for us? The one thing that pops out to me is we will no longer be able to keep that imba 25%>0% bleed rolling that we prey to the trinket gods for, which correct me if im wrong, will mean a huge dps nerf to us? more so than ever other dot class? and also correct me again if im wrong, wont this also make the RUNE trinket depreciate in value?

Again as i said im not a very experience feral, just worry about our future so feel free to point out any mistakes ive made here.

Will make "maximizing" much more trivial. Whereas before clipping a tick or so for a much stronger DoT might be beneficial, now there will be little to no benefit.

DoT snapshot means the damage is calculated when it is applied. When it is removed, the damage per tick is calculated right before the tick occurs.

This will make all procs have a depreciated value to some extent as their benefit will now only last for purely the stated length.
    Last edited by boomkinhero; 2014-01-01 at 11:14 PM.

It means that there will be signficantly less bleed clipping and strength management, and it will probably no longer be the single most important part of our rotation (outside of the basics). As far as what mechanics or playstyle will fill the void of it's absence we have to wait until beta to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by boomkinhero View Post
    Will make "maximizing" much less trivial. Whereas before clipping a tick or so for a much stronger DoT might be beneficial, now there will be little to no benefit.

DoT snapshot means the damage is calculated when it is applied. When it is removed, the damage per tick is calculated right before the tick occurs.

This will make all procs have a depreciated value to some extent as their benefit will now only last for purely the stated length.
    First off, they are not removing DoT snapshotting entirely so your statement isn't entirely correct. They are only removing stat-based snapshotting, ability-based snapshotting (like Tiger's Fury, Nature's Vigil, Dream of Cenarius) will still exist. Also I assume you mean more trivial, otherwise your post doesn't really make sense =P.

Secondly, you're jumping to huge conclusions if you think the spec will automatically be so trivial to maximize. You or almost anyone else has no idea what Warlords beta actually holds for us. Hold your "the sky is falling!!!!!!" statements until we actually know what they're giving to us in WoD, we might need it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachyne View Post
    The one thing that pops out to me is we will no longer be able to keep that imba 25%>0% bleed rolling
    You're making assumptions about it's removal, it may still exist but since trinket snapshotting is gone, if it does it will be a lot less random. Honestly, I don't think that would necessarily be all that bad, just make sure you throw up a Rip during TF with DoC and your Rip is going to be ~50% stronger for the rest of the fight.

will mean a huge dps nerf to us?
    Don't ever worry about DPS nerfs or buffs when it comes to expansion changes; they don't matter. DPS tuning happens late in the beta and when they do they account for all the changes that have been made.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2014-01-01 at 11:08 PM.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Hah thanks for the trivial catch.. silly slip up.

I don't know anything about WoD and was simply replying to the question as it was asked, which was about all snapshots. Getting rid of proc snapshots will make it easier though, especially for boomkins (though not directly relevant).

Will rip/rake still snapshot SR?

The removal of snapshotting refers to character sheet data (int, agi, crit, haste, mastery etc). Class mechanics/cooldowns still going to snapshot. So TF, SR any specced cds

It means you are going to press shred+fb often.

Isn't this about to be a real headache? Like, you gotta keep insane amount of focus to your trinket proc duration, as to where to spend yout CPs? 10s ok, 8s GO! 7s you're screwed? Not sure I understand how this is going to play out. But if we, as ferals, get another RoR-trinket.. How are we gonna keep up with that without getting a heartattack? Think I'm having a small one just thinking about it

Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    Secondly, you're jumping to huge conclusions if you think the spec will automatically be so trivial to maximize. You or almost anyone else has no idea what Warlords beta actually holds for us. Hold your "the sky is falling!!!!!!" statements until we actually know what they're giving to us in WoD, we might need it later.
    If DoTs calculate damage for every tick when it happens...
    THE SKY IS FALLING!!! SERVERS WILL GO BOOM!

I really believe blizzard will turn this into unnecessary server load(damage is calculated serverside, right? if its calculated locally, it will increase the min specs for all specs that have dots, especially those with many). Good idea, probably bad execution.

OT: They will balance around it, easier to min-max, probably lower max possible dps, but they wont nerf specs to as bad as vanilla ret paladin.... I hope...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ishana View Post
    Isn't this about to be a real headache? Like, you gotta keep insane amount of focus to your trinket proc duration, as to where to spend yout CPs? 10s ok, 8s GO! 7s you're screwed? Not sure I understand how this is going to play out. But if we, as ferals, get another RoR-trinket.. How are we gonna keep up with that without getting a heartattack? Think I'm having a small one just thinking about it
    All classes will be balanced around procs not snapshotting. I think it would make sense to essentially ignore procs after snapshotting is gone. They will just more passively impact the ticks that happen while it is up, but DOTs and bleeds are still going to contribute important damage even without proc snapshotting.

So, if we do Rip as soon as we get 5 combos, and if we get a proc in the last few seconds - we'll not get punished, it'll buff our builders enough.. Sounds fair
    Edit:
    Last edited by Ishana; 2014-01-06 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lissanna View Post
    All classes will be balanced around procs not snapshotting. I think it would make sense to essentially ignore procs after snapshotting is gone. They will just more passively impact the ticks that happen while it is up, but DOTs and bleeds are still going to contribute important damage even without proc snapshotting.
    If they re-balance direct damage to be a bigger part of the damage breakdown it will still be important to pool energy when a trinket is about to proc to maximize ability usage during the uptime of the trinket.

15+ Year Old Account
    in the end ferals will becomes more noob frendly as it will be less dependent on snapshotting those imba trinket procs
    it wont mean feral will loose a lot of dps ( yes if you look at current context it will mean that but in WoD we will be rebaleced anyway)
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    If they re-balance direct damage to be a bigger part of the damage breakdown it will still be important to pool energy when a trinket is about to proc to maximize ability usage during the uptime of the trinket.
    It should be noted, though, that most direct-damage abilities (shred, mangle, ravage, and swipe) don't scale as well as bleeds with agility procs, since their scaling is split between attack power and weapon damage. You're still right, but it's not going to be that big a deal to e.g. try to fit a lot of shreds into an agility proc.

Of course, if we get another weapon damage proc (like pre-nerf Unheeded Warning), then that's a different story.

What does the removal of Dot snap shoting mean for ferals?
    Impossible to say because Blizzard has given no indication of their plans other than saying Feral will have to be reworked.

They could just move more damage to direct damage abilities but they may have something else in mind.

Deleted
    With so little information given about what is going to happen I think we need to take some ice to the balls and clam down ;-)

I'm hoping for something a little more sophisticated than more direct damage. That would only be a minor boost to Feral's biggest problem areas.
    1. Target switching
    2. Burn phase damage
    3. Heroism damage

I am aware 2 and 3 are related but not completely. The solution to #3 is greater value from Haste which is not necessarily the fix for #2.

Quote Originally Posted by lissanna View Post
    It's still beneficial to use your cooldowns during procs to maximize the effect of the cooldowns (eg berserk), so it would be silly to entirely disregard them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    in the end ferals may becomes more noob frendly as it will be less dependent on snapshotting those imba trinket procs
    Fixed that for you.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    It's still beneficial to use your cooldowns during procs to maximize the effect of the cooldowns (eg berserk), so it would be silly to entirely disregard them.

Fixed that for you.
    then do a proper job and also fix the spelling error in becomes
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE