Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Let me tell you why the "covered up in armor anyway" arguement is just bullwhack.

The new character models open up ALOT of options for new armor pieces. They've already talked about the cropping on cloaks, and the potential for new and interesting versions of robes/kilts for characters, which by extention will eventually expand to small things like bracers.
    With the new character models, we'll also see a new wave of great-looking armor pieces, weapons and maybe even quivers and relics/offhands.

Just because your character model is covered in armor, doesn't mean it'll be covered up in bland armor.
    [An00b'arak]: im sure i dont know...im just an arachnid

[An00b'arak]: guess what im not ashamed of what i am

[An00b'arak]: >8< spider pride

I play with my helmet not displayed, so i guess i benefit from it

Quote Originally Posted by Discokurt View Post
    Just because your character model is covered in armor, doesn't mean it'll be covered up in bland armor.
    And the best of that armour will be just an in-game click away, for the low low price of only $20 a piece.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

They do the new character models because the game looks outdated compared to other games of today. That's the real reason. The new models aren't something for the old players, the old players are just coming along for the ride, the real target is the new players who can compare the visuals with other games and reject WoW on the basis of bad looks.

I don't care about the new models. That's a very small thing for me, I'd prefer more gameplay. I cared much more for the revamp of the old world - which turned out not too well in hindsight, because the cost of too few content at max-level was too high, so...

I'd offer that we are hearing about the new models so much primarily because there's basically very little else to be excited about in WoD.

Deleted
    One year ago I decided to change race from NIGHT ELF to WORGEN (for 1% crit).
    I must admit that covered up in armor you don't see that much difference except head and foot... if you stand still!
    If you move around, character model has better animations and bones ar rigged in more serious way.

So for me is thumbs up on new character models... I already regret the change because 1% crit is not so much... Maybe new model finally convince me to go back as NIGHT ELF DRUID

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post
    It's argued that the cataclysm old world revamp was responsible for limiting the development time of actual end game content in Cataclysm. And now blizzard might be repeating this same mistake because it will net them huge revenue when people use Blizzstore services to change character models to new races.

Unless you're an avid RP'er or WoW video creator what purpose do these new Skins/models really serve. You will still be hiding them under a layer of armor. Think of all the extra content that the art team could actually develop for the game. (More 5 mans, more challenge mode Armor, More mounts NOT SOLD ON BLIZZSTORE.) These model are fine as long as they do not take away from actual development time for user interacted content.

You guys are seriously making way to big a deal over updated models that will be covered in the long run and will become an after thought. And the more you harp on pointless content like updated character models you will be left in the dust when blizzard becomes lazy as you demand less ACTUAL GAME content.

Just remember every new skin/model is hours of work that could have been used else where. Or you can continue to spend 20$ on mounts that have more care and detail put into them then anything they release in the actual game.

The wow community as a whole is starting to let this company rot by expecting less and that's exactly what they are delivering.

Enjoy running around the next shrine equivalent naked as you have nothing to do... BUT MAN THOSE MODELS LOOK AWESOME WITHOUT GEAR!!!

Agreed 100% on this. Glad we can find some guys like you here. Wat a fucking waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Agreed 100% on this. Glad we can find some guys like you here. Wat a fucking waste of money.

Hurts, doesn't it? Realizing that Blizzard doesn't cater only to PvPers and raiders?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post
    O you mean the team that is responsible for mounts on the blizzard store? Because they sure as hell rarely make it into the game as part of your subscription.
    About that. Let's compare lists, shall we?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mounts available for free within the game
    Dragon Turtle (6)
    Great Dragon Turtle (6)
    Blonde/Gray Yak
    Grand Expedition Yak
    Armored Skyscreamer
    Amber Scorpion
    Depleted-Kyparium Rocket
    Geosynchronous World Spinner
    Primal Raptor (4)
    Ashen Pandaren Phoenix (4)
    Son of Galleon
    Pandaren Kite (3)
    Grand Wyvern
    Grand Armored Wyvern
    Grand Gryphon
    Grand Armored Gryphon
    Riding Goat (3)
    Shado-Pan Riding Tiger (3)
    Primal Direhorn (2)
    Primordial Direhorn (4)
    Spawn of Horridon
    Riding Crane (3)
    Cloud Serpent (many kinds with varying effects, total of 13)
    Spawn of Galakras
    Red Flying Cloud
    Clutch of Ji-Kun
    Kor'Kron War Wolf
    Numbers within parentheses are recolors/retextures on the same theme (though cloud serpents vary more than the others, but they're so many it'd make the list way longer). All in all, that's 67 mounts released since MoP launched or over 20 new models. I could be missing a few since wowpedia's list seemed a little outdated, but I think I have at least most of them.

Let's now look at the pay-to-get mounts that were released in the same time period. I'm counting ALL mounts that can be directly bought from Blizzard: Pet Store and Collector's Edition, and TCG (even though that last one is arguably not buying the mounts directly).

Quote Originally Posted by Pay-To-Acquire Mounts
    Swift Windsteed (Pet Store)
    Armored Bloodwing (Pet Store)
    Enchanted Fey Dragon (Pet Store)
    Imperial Quilen (Collector's Edition)
    Feldrake (TCG)
    For a total ooooof... 5.

Yeah. It's such a shame the art teams are busy spending all their resorces on premium content and that mounts that are available within the subscription are so rare these days, huh?

Look: Even if I don't agree with it, I can understand the hardline argument "no material should be premium in a subscription game". I can understand it because it's consistent and straight to the point. If you don't like the pet store existing at all, it's absolutely fine for you to have that opinion. But acting as if it had a bigger negative influence on the game than it actually does to support your standpoint is just contradictory and moot.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well your post certainly is silly. Character models are a feature that has been desired by many members of the community fro god knows how long. I look forward to seeing them because seeing detailed models not just for us, but presumably to be added to NPCs around Azeroth and Outland is an enticing prospect. Why consider such a feature to be pointless just because it will be covered up? Altering the model also affects how they run and emote, so you will changes even with armour on.

And the post-Shattering revamp wasn't a waste. I didn't really enjoy the muddled nature of zone questing before then. It was a pain in the arse having to run almost half the span of the zone for an item/kill mobs etc. (Ashenvale being notable for me), and it was non-linear. The linear questing added to the update was refreshing and welcome, and many questlines were fun, entertaining and engaging. Even if you might miss out on most zones, you can still go back and do it at 85/90 for achievements and the like.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, Charlie. This go-round Blizz is throwing a bone to the roleplayers, guys like the OP can take one in the jaw for a change and deal.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Sorry, Charlie. This go-round Blizz is throwing a bone to the roleplayers, guys like the OP can take one in the jaw for a change and deal.
    And thank goodness for that.

Armor will cover it? Not for everyone plus you are forgetting that its a new skeleton too, not just the skins. The old movements are terribly dated. They need to go. New enemy models that have come with every expansion make them look really, really bad. Updates are needed, whether you want them or not.

Id say its more useful than the cata world revamp, considering how quick it is to level and skip all of that content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviators View Post
    Id say its more useful than the cata world revamp, considering how quick it is to level and skip all of that content.
    TBH it's the revamp itself that allows for that, at least if you level through questing.

Because fuck was vanilla questing painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post

Damn straight.

you can't even see my character's face with the helmet it has on lol. but at least I'll have the comfort of knowing that underneath my helmet, shoulder pads, etc. there's an updated model with 3000 more pixels than before!

Sounds like you'd prefer to play WoW in 8 bit as long as you got more content. Thankfully the people who design the game feel very differently.