Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Final Fantasy XIV is for lovers

Within the first few days of playing FF14, I've discovered an unsung aspect of the leveling process.

By having all the classes progress independently but still benefit one another through cross class skills and unlocking advanced classes, I am able to have one class on which I play with my wife and progress the story while also having other classes to play when she's busy (or vice versa). I still feel as if I am progressing my main character, preparing for level 50, but without ending up on different steps in questing. Normally, I would have to have one character for leveling with her and one character I would play when she isn't around, which would end up frustrating us both. I've been able to avoid this problem in some more horizontal progression games but those are pretty rare.

Bravo FF14.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Hear, hear!

I could not agree more with the poster above me and I'm in the same kind off situation.

Deleted
    Or you could just have 2 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Or you could just have 2 characters.
    I guess I should be more clear about my feelings on that.

Fuck no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post

Fuck no.
    You put the same amount of effort into leveling two jobs as you do into leveling two characters. You could even pick the same race, same appearance, etc. What would be different, other than that you'd have to relog and send stuff from one character to the next.

I don't get what the advantage of multiple jobs on one single character is, compared to having to create a new character for each class/job.

Fuck no.
    Your signature would beg to differ :/

You put the same amount of effort into leveling two jobs as you do into leveling two characters. You could even pick the same race, same appearance, etc. What would be different, other than that you'd have to relog and send stuff from one character to the next.

I don't get what the advantage of multiple jobs on one single character is, compared to having to create a new character for each class/job.
    The story thing is an important point. When you level with someone else, you often want to experience the story together. See the twists and turns at the same time. If Bardarian had a second character, he would see the story first, and see it a second time when playing with his wife.

It's like going to see a movie. Let's say you want to See Amazing Movie, and you know your wife wants to see Amazing Movie. However, she doesn't have free time until Saturday. Do you see it now by yourself and then see it again on Saturday with her? Or do you rather wait until Saturday so that it is a shared experience for the both of you?

http://www.ffxivguild.com/ff14-cross-class-skill-guide/
    http://www.ffxivguild.com/ff14-job-requirements-arr/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    The story thing is an important point. When you level with someone else, you often want to experience the story together. See the twists and turns at the same time. If Bardarian had a second character, he would see the story first, and see it a second time when playing with his wife.

It's like going to see a movie. Let's say you want to See Amazing Movie, and you know your wife wants to see Amazing Movie. However, she doesn't have free time until Saturday. Do you see it now by yourself and then see it again on Saturday with her? Or do you rather wait until Saturday so that it is a shared experience for the both of you?
    Also, this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Your signature would beg to differ :/
    There's a difference between wanting to experience all the classes and their associated content and wanting to roll a bunch of alts. Given a choice, I would rather do what FF14, firefall, EQN, and, to an extent, TESO does.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. The difference between leveling other jobs on the same character (FFXIV:ARR) and needing alts for other jobs/classes (other MMOs) is that in FFXIV:ARR having subjobs gives you benefits. So while leveling up, when I was waiting for my significant other (ex ) I would be able to level up another job and have it benefit my main job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post

Can't you just skip the story stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Within the first few days of playing FF14, I've discovered an unsung aspect of the leveling process.

By having all the classes progress independently but still benefit one another through cross class skills and unlocking advanced classes, I am able to have one class on which I play with my wife and progress the story while also having other classes to play when she's busy (or vice versa). I still feel as if I am progressing my main character, preparing for level 50, but without ending up on different steps in questing. Normally, I would have to have one character for leveling with her and one character I would play when she isn't around, which would end up frustrating us both. I've been able to avoid this problem in some more horizontal progression games but those are pretty rare.

Bravo FF14.
    I almost tempted my girlfriend into playing her first MMO because of this feature. She wants to play with me, but as a noob she doesn't want to be intrusive and a burden on me in my enjoyment of video games. But then she saw my ass getting stomped on Titan (the tank swears he moved out of the cone in time! like.. 12 times) while leveling and she didn't go through with it xD

Can't you just skip the story stuff?
    Why would you do that?

Deleted
    Why would you do that?
    Is that a trick question? To not see the story when you want to see it together with your girlfriend/wife first. Which is what you said you wanted right?

I mean when you say you don't want to see the story before you can see it together with your girlfriend, "skipping the story" sounds reasonable doesn't it? I mean what do you do when you level up a new job and you advance past your main job? Technically you can do new story quests. So you have to skip them anyway right?

At least if you make a new character you get quests to break up the bullshit fate grind.

Granted if you max ever class on one character it says, you simply have nothing better to do.

It's a toss up really. But it all comes down to be boring.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

So you have to skip them anyway right?
    No.

+10 char

Deleted
    No.

+10 char
    Wait, explain that to me. If you're picking up a new job, and you level past the level of your main job, you're not skipping anything story-related? Then what was all that "When you level with someone else, you often want to experience the story together." stuff about.

How are cross class skills not an enormous advantage? They're practically required for a lot of classes to play at the highest level.

Wait, explain that to me. If you're picking up a new job, and you level past the level of your main job, you're not skipping anything story-related? Then what was all that "When you level with someone else, you often want to experience the story together." stuff about.
    While also progressing my character and it's main job through cross class and advanced classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    How are cross class skills not an enormous advantage? They're practically required for a lot of classes to play at the highest level.
    Alright, cross class skills I get, but that is only because the system was implemented in such a way where you have to level up different jobs on one character to get them. They could've easily just made it so that it unlocks when you level that job on a different character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing about 1 character is also you can pick up gear for your other classes as you go on, and raid and such, which if you have 2 characters you just have to raid seperately for gear, and risking wrong pieces drop and gone to waste.