Page 1 of 62
... LastLast

Study confirms the idea that schools should have armed/trained security.

http://news.yahoo.com/spike-in-mass-...132625638.html
    http://leb.fbi.gov/2014/january/acti...m-2000-to-2012

I know this is a Yahoo story, but w/e. I found the information in it pretty compelling to the idea of employing people in schools (and other public places) whose sole job is to react to a violent incident. I already know the gun control arguments are against putting more guns in schools, whether it's arming teachers or having armed security, but the numbers seem to support the idea of first responders being on campus already in the event of an incident.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Thoughts?
    That it's a silly premise of focusing on symptoms rather than the cause.

Deleted
    Get more Police sure, but teachers have enough shit to deal with as it is without them requiring more training, regulation and responsibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile...

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Or ban guns? Seriously how many school shootings do you hear about in Europe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Banning guns will solve nothing, regulate them better instead.

We have had quite few in Finland. And we have pretty tight gun regulation laws.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Armed responder stopped and basically ended the recent Arapaho High school shooting a couple weeks ago.

By being on scene, he forced the gunman into the library where he was cornered and took his own life. Kind of hard to argue against that.

This is not Europe, this is America, our values are different, and this isnt a pro/anti gun argument.

Armed responders in any school is a good idea imo.

Public schools are already like prisons, so I'm not sure what would change exactly.

My high school wasn't even very big, and I graduated before all these school shootings became a thing. Yet even there, we had a "resource officer" who was literally there every day. I'm not sure if he carried a gun or not, maybe that's the difference we're talking about?

Maybe if schools weren't as much like prisons and bullying wasn't such a wide-spread thing that is mostly ignored, there would be less children wanting to shoot other children? But lets not fix the cause I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    That it's a silly premise of focusing on symptoms rather than the cause.
    What would be the cause?

Also, how is it silly to put an armed/trained deterrent in place to minimize the effects of a violent incident?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting#Europe
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    I wouldn't want my child going to a school with armed men/women on every corner

Deleted
    Wait, isn't it the US's biggest fear to become a police state? Am I the only one who's sees the irony?

Again, cool for you to say, but that wouldn't be a change here in the US. That is already happening.

Deleted
    Exactly very few and that's a whole continent

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly very few and that's a whole continent
    Now compare populations.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

15+ Year Old Account
    And yet you let them walk down the streets with armed men/women on every corner.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

Welp this isn't Europe so you don't have to worry about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lavafoxx View Post
    And yet you let them walk down the streets with armed men/women on every corner.
    Do I? Where

Deleted
    You just wait untill the first school guard shoots a 'potentially armed suspect' that ends up being an unarmed student.
    Then they'll probably allow the students to be armed, or they'll hire guards to guard the school guards (so they don't accidently shoot an armed student who was an undercover guard guarding the guards).

Screw it, just give everybody free guns!